Leica Summicron-M 28mm f2 ASPH not recognised by the camera

wolan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I recently bought a new lens Leica Summicron-M 28mm f2 ASPH. When I mount it on my M10 it is not automatically recognised, although AUTO is set in the lens detection setting.

I understand this has to do with the 6 bit coding, right? However, how come that a Leica lens is coming without coding?? 

What to do fix the problem?

Thank you

Is it really "new"? M lenses produced before the M8, the first digital camera, were not factory coded.

Options: have the lens coded by Leica or a 3rd-party technician, or manually select the code in the M10 menu every time you are using this lens.

If the lens is indeed new and has 6-bit codes on the flange, then something's wrong and I'd send it back for a replacement. 

Edit: if it's your only uncoded lens, you should be able to set detection to manual, select the corresponding  28/2 ASPH profile and leave it there. When you attach a coded lens, it should override the manual detection and select the proper profile. I quote this from memory, as I use a bunch of uncoded lenses and have made it a habit to check lens detection when switching lenses. Someone else may confirm this - or you may do a bit of trial and error.

Edited by Ecar
  • Like 1

A lot of Leica lenses came without coding - all lenses that were produced before the digital Leicas appeared. The camera „recognizes“ the lens even without coding and shows the correct framelines. The coding is just meant for selecting lens profiles and writing at least a few EXIF data to the files.
You can apply the correct profile by selecting it manually. And if it’s the only uncoded lens you own, the M10 will recognize the lens automatically after you selected the profile one time manually. But this works with one lens only.

Other than that, as @Ecar said, send the lens to Leica and let them apply the correct code.