Nipple/rivet in M4-P body

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello forum members! This is my first post (although I have been lurking around for quite some time).

My M4-P (very late serial number 16927xx) has an extra nipple or rivet on the rewind knob side of the body. 
M3 and M2 bodies, as well as barnack leica's such as the iiif, also seem to have this rivet, but I have never seen it on a M4-P (or M4 for that matter).

My questions are:

What is the function of this rivet? It does not seem to 'do' or hold anything. What purpose did it serve on the M3/M2?

Why does my M4-P have one while it seems to have disappeared from m-bodies since the introduction if the M4? 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have an M2, and wondered the same thing. I asked on here, and some knowledgeable member - afraid I can't remember who - explained that it was to do with when Leica M cameras were used for close-up photography. Something about lining it up precisely on the jig

15 minutes ago, analogM said:

Still wondering how my M4-P ended up with one though.

It's standard on the last M4-P's, mine also has the extra rivet for the flash bracket. The last few M4-P were more or less the prototypes for the M6 with all the same features except a meter. Perhaps the extra rivet was something they were thinking about using on the M6 and never did? Equally Leica were making more efforts to woo back professionals at this time with the introduction of a proper motor drive so perhaps the extra rivet was also to make life easier for professionals using a flash gun?

20 hours ago, jerzy said:

It is for flash bracket CTOOM

I found this notation in my M2 manual and it confirms Jerzy's info. Thanks Jerzy for your info!

A flash gun bracket can be attached to the base plate of the LEICA. (Catalog No. 15 545 K).

On 3/7/2021 at 1:46 PM, 250swb said:

It's standard on the last M4-P's, mine also has the extra rivet for the flash bracket. The last few M4-P were more or less the prototypes for the M6 with all the same features except a meter. Perhaps the extra rivet was something they were thinking about using on the M6 and never did? Equally Leica were making more efforts to woo back professionals at this time with the introduction of a proper motor drive so perhaps the extra rivet was also to make life easier for professionals using a flash gun?

Thanks 250swb, had no idea it was standard on the last M4-P's. I have only seen one other camera from the same batch and that one did not have the rivet.

But at least now I know the what and (possibly) the why of the extra rivet :-) 

9 hours ago, 1joel1 said:

My late chrome M4-P does not have this. Is there a serial number cutoff?

Joel

The last M4-P's had flush windows, single flash sync socket, and strap protectors. This is in the last 1000 made and I don't think I have ever seen a chrome version.

• Thanks 1