Q2M - Funky matrix flare

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Some funky matrix flare going on in these pics. It was persistent to the extent I couldn't get a shot without it when the sun was in the frame. They were taken with a yellow filter attached if that matters. Aperture didn't seem to make a difference, the attached shots are f8-f16. 

Is this a known behavior for the Q2M? I haven't seen this in any other camera of mine when shooting against the sun.

Otherwise a stunning camera. I will add a red filter as well for more drama. Curious about the green filter and what to use it for.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Welcome to the forum
This is a known and fairly common behaviour of digital systems in general. Search any photographic forum and you will find threads on the subject. On colour sensors it manifests itself as red dots.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jaapv said:

Welcome to the forum
This is a known and fairly common behaviour of digital systems in general. Search any photographic forum and you will find threads on the subject. On colour sensors it manifests itself as red dots.

Thanks! First time I experience this, but apparently not uncommon.

3 hours ago, sincurves said:

Thanks! First time I experience this, but apparently not uncommon.

DPReview had a video review here where they discuss this behavior at around the 8:20 mark. I believe it's the result of removing the bayer filter you normally have on full color sensors. By shedding the filter, the sensor on the Q2M has significant ISO and image acuity improvements, with the tradeoff of the aforementioned matrix flare and the obvious inability to capture color (or adjust color-based levels in post-processing; you have to attach a color filter when shooting).

• Thanks 1

One of the uses for a green filter is for portraiture to smooth out skin tones.  There are several “flavors” of yellow, orange, and red filters: as in varying shades.   There are deep yellow, light yellow, deep orange, light orange, and deep red, and yes light red.  

Edited by Leica28

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 minutes ago, Leica28 said:

One of the uses for a green filter is for portraiture to smooth out skin tones.  There are several “flavors” of yellow, orange, and red filters: as in varying shades.   There are deep yellow, light yellow, deep orange, light orange, and deep red, and yes light red.  

So far I have only the Leica orange filter for the Q2M. I use a red filter with a M9M and like the effect - will get one for the Q2M too. 

10 hours ago, anuncastshadow said:

DPReview had a video review here where they discuss this behavior at around the 8:20 mark. I believe it's the result of removing the bayer filter you normally have on full color sensors. By shedding the filter, the sensor on the Q2M has significant ISO and image acuity improvements, with the tradeoff of the aforementioned matrix flare and the obvious inability to capture color (or adjust color-based levels in post-processing; you have to attach a color filter when shooting).

Bayer sensors behave exactly the same way. It is not a specific property of monochrome sensors. It is caused by light bouncing between two mirror-like surfaces, one being a grid pattern, like the microlens layer and the IR filter (which explains the red colour).
It  can occur with a strong point light like the sun and smaller apertures.

10 hours ago, jaapv said:

Bayer sensors behave exactly the same way. It is not a specific property of monochrome sensors. It is caused by light bouncing between two mirror-like surfaces, one being a grid pattern, like the microlens layer and the IR filter (which explains the red colour).
It  can occur with a strong point light like the sun and smaller apertures.

Ah, thank you for the clarification.