what are these marks on my negatives?

bags27

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This just happened. I've never seen this. The blackening doesn't run into the actual negative throughout the strip, so more curiosity. I haven't scanned yet, but I think that white blotch on the top neg is just the way the light's falling on it.

Details: HP5 in HC100 8mm in 1000mm for 18 minutes, 1 minute of agitation, 15 seconds every 3 minutes

Stop for 20 seconds

Fixer for 4 minutes (16th roll I've use it for)

This was the bottom of 2 rolls; the top roll did not show these marks.

Thanks!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by bags27

My guess is edge fogging Ken, some light has seeped in between the backing paper, and the plastic spool.

As long as it's only on the borders, and not the actual image, no real damage.

If only on one end, then the time narrows a bit. If at the end of the roll, my guess is as you removed the roll from the back, and slipped it into your pocket or bag.

Gary

Edited by gbealnz
Added the last sentence
  • Like 1

I've seen similar marks on 35mm film that I attributed to the stainless reel keeping the chemicals from making good contact with the edges of the film. But that doesn't look like the case here. There is a repeating pattern of the marks on the right side of the strip. I think Gary has it right.

Thanks, Gary! I bet you you're right (I do remember being a bit "casual" removing that roll--it was bitter cold and I wasn't wearing gloves and, IIRC, fumbled it a bit). It seems unanimous . So thanks also Doug and Chuck.

120 film is not totally light safe. It's ok for changing film but if you store the unprotected film for a longer period expose to light it is creeping in at the edges. If this takes to long even the image could be affected. I collect exposed 120 films always in light tight bags after exposure. To roll them up tight prevents a bit, but even then it's not safe.
In the good old analogue days you even got special bags for this propose from Kodak when you bought a greater amount of films.

Regards

Frank

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You can get hard plastic film storage boxes for 120 from a well known auction site, you fill them with your unexposed film and as you shoot put the exposed rolls back in the box for safety. This does look like typical light creep, maybe the rolls affected were in daylight longer than others. But just to be sure if you get that edge effect and the dark area looks milky grey then that's the fix not getting to the film. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...