q2 bags

Advertisement (gone after registration)

some of you might be ocd like me and try to find the perfect bag for a camera and accessories needed in the field and thus end up with dozens of them. you put them in an empty closet and when you get a new camera or system you try them first before buying a new one. and i know some of you will only consider the bags the leicaphiles buy or recommend like billingham or ona or the ruinously expensive oberhoff (sp?). 

but i go more for fit and efficiency than brand name and in any case, i only rarely take a shoulder bag with me because i try to pare down equipment needed to essentials and i no longer need to be ready for anything and load myself down. yet, even i was sucked in when an ebay seller was closing out ona bags for about half or less than i'd seen them advertised and i jumped on two of them even though i'd ordered a lowepro a few days before from amazon which hadn't yet arrived. 

all 3 bags arrived today. one ona bag was designed for binoculars and the q2 was way too tight a fit and no room for anything else even if you did shoehorn it in there. but it was relatively cheap and i had binoculars i could carry in it. the other ona bag was one of the smallest and about the size of the billingham ?72? bag which i have my cl in. there's just room for the q2 and a battery and a filter. but i've come to really  detest the english 'quality' bags for lack of function and efficiency. first, they have a buckle, not a click to open method. they rarely have stretchy side pockets for a water bottle or pocket tripod. if they have outside storage, there's no closure for them. all-in-all, i regret buying any of them as they're useless except for storage--for my use anyway.

my goto bags are the think  tank mirrorless mover bags. i have like 3 of those and they are fully featured, compact, and have a handle as well as a strap. their weak point is the magnetic closure on the top flap which invites you to pick it up by the handle only to find you didn't zip the inner compartment and the flap loses the magnetic and you're dangling the bag by only the flap. of course, this is a plus when you're carrying it because you have a flap over your gear which can be easily lifted.

but the 3rd bag i got was from amazon, a Lowepro Adventura SH 140 II and for my use, it was nearly perfect. it has stretchy side pockets, a memory card slot under the lid, a zippered front compartment, a top handle, and a quick-release buckle. the q2 fits perfectly when vertically stowed with the grip up ready to grab to lift it out. there's room for a divider and you can put a filter and a spare battery in that space. it also has a hard rubber bottom which provides protection and stability. and the best part? $25.99. 

actually, i lied. i got 4 bags in today. the 4th was actually an insert for a larger bag, but it's self-contained with a zipper top and a handle, but no strap. the q2 fits perfectly in it and it actually has room for another compact camera and maybe a lens as well. it'll be perfect if i need to take the cl or one of my two film cameras out with the q2

here's the links:

https://amzn.to/30e9rl7
https://amzn.to/3kOnuqK

/guy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had a ONA for my M, and disliked that latch so much that got rid of it

I am considering the ThinkTank turnstyle 5 - the smaller of the series as I have a 20 amd a photocross 10.

If I decide to go a bit more  "dressy" then YBPutro - can only be seen on Instagram has some nice crafted bags priced very reasonably imo

I don't like my bags to be too glamorous neither too obvious of a  camera carrier...but that's me

• Like 1

I have the first version of the Think Tank Turn Style 5 and used it with my M9 and 50mm lux and 28mm cron while cycling. It was good but occ’l would slide off my back - still enjoyed using it.

The second version has a waist strap with a buckle which one releases before the bag can be rotated to ones front to unload. 
I added this strap to my bag and it works well to keep it on one’s back until you want to access it. I use it now with the Q2 and it is great. It has room for extra batteries and memory cards. I carry a table top tripod in it as well.

An iPad mini fits in the back zippered area, but I just put my iPhone in that for cycling.

👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you want well designed, well made and light weight camera bags for not a lot of money, take a look at the Peak Design “Sling” models which come in a number of sizes. Just beware Amazon’s fake knock-off Peak copies!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Le Chef said:

If you want well designed, well made and light weight camera bags for not a lot of money, take a look at the Peak Design “Sling” models which come in a number of sizes. Just beware Amazon’s fake knock-off Peak copies!

i indeed have at least two sizes of the peak bags because i'm into the peak system pretty deep. their logical philosophy of how camera gear should work and interconnect is pretty groundbreaking. but the sling bags won't stand flat--they just fall over. and there isn't much of a handle. and the opening is too narrow to easily get your camera and lenses in and out. they carry beautifully, but i can't use them due to those design flaws. their line of tech bags and pouches also suffer from this fundamental flaw--they won't stand up and the openings are too tight and narrow to see inside them. it's a shame because their straps and slings and anchors and especially their tripod are all bloody genius! i use their slings for all my cameras except the new q2 where i went more traditional with a rope strap, but i might still change over if the rope strap irritates me enough by getting in my way of the controls as they are prone to do. /guy

Edited by gteague
  • Like 1

This is such a subjective topic.  For my Q2, I own and have owned a bunch of bags including ONA, Crumpler, Think Tank (Turnstile and Mirrorless Mover), HEX, Peak and Domke.  I prefer to just wear my camera sling style with a lens cloth in my pocket when walking and taking photos, and the bag for storage at home.  I took my ONA Bond Street (in camo) to Italy for a month's travel in 2019, and carried my Q2 in the bag only in sketchier areas.  Though not perfect, ONA is probably my favorite of the bunch--sturdy, well cushioned, comfortable to wear sling style and enough extra space for a few accessories.  I have gone the single fixed lens route for the last 5 years or so with a couple of X100s and now the Q2.  When I carried a SLR with extra lenses and too many accessories, I preferred a light backpack with an insert rather than a shoulder bag.  To each his own.  Enjoy the search.  

My perfect bag.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!