Astrophotography — Leica M10R or Leica SL2

EddieCheddar

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello party people,

I have a Leica M10R and a Leica SL2 (with an M-lens adapter).

I rented a Leica 21mm f/1.4 Summilux M ASPH lens, and am heading off to Death Valley to try and get some photographs of the night sky, stars, and Milky Way (obviously using a tripod).

Do any of you have any suggestions on which camera would be best to use?

M10R recovers highlights better? However it has a smaller ‘live view’ screen in trying to focus and see the captured images. 
SL2 has larger screen, easier to view in the dark. I think I’ll need to turn ‘off noise reduction in camera.’ for any timed, quick shots between shots. Image Stabilization on, or off?

I’m planning on taking both and shooting with both, but I’m hoping to hear from you guys who are more experienced in this with suggestions and ideas.   

Thanks in advance, and I’ll post a picture or two when I get back.

PS. Moderator: I’m going to post this in the “SL” forum on here as well, in case they have suggestions.  If that seems like a double post, then please feel free to remove one.  

• Like 1

I haven't used either of those cameras for it, but I've shot a fair amount of astrophotography so here's my two cents.

Assuming you don't want star trails, your exposures will be limited to around 8sec for both cameras (I used the PhotoPills app to find that info) to make the stars appear as points. You might be able to push that to 10 seconds with an acceptable amount of movement, but that depends on what you find acceptable. Even with the lens wide open, being limited to an 8sec exposure means you'll need to bump the ISO up pretty high to get the shot - 3200 or more. So I'd pick the camera that's better at high ISOs.

Also, even though stars are bright points of light, you won't have any blown highlights to deal with...you'll more likely be lifting shadows in a single exposure. Or maybe you'll make a composite - blending one exposure for the sky and another longer exposure for the foreground? Either way, it's unlikely you'll have blown highlights to deal with.

When using a tripod, you should turn off image stabilization.

Lastly, you probably won't be able to use the EVF/LCD of either camera to focus in the dark (this has been my experience with other cameras). I'd either use the focus scale on the lens, or pre-focus your composition while it's still light out and then use that for your night shot. If that doesn't work for you, or if things get bumped, you can use trial and error - focus at inifinity and take a shot...check focus then back off from infinity and take a shot, check focus, etc until the shot is acceptably sharp.

I hope this helps. Sounds like a fun trip - I can't wait to hear how the cameras perform!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Back in August, I posted a milky way shot using M10-R with Voight 50mm f1.2, ISO 5000 for 8 seconds.  I can't speak for SL2, but the M10-M also shines for astro-imaging, but of course, all black and white.   My composition did lack a foreground object though, with a 21mm lens you'll do better am sure.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6