TL2 + L-mount : broken promise

Yes, it is a freaky annoyance. I have touch af off as I prefer as little as possible be touch-able via the back LCD and the af box still will move itself for no reason I can figure out, and it’s never a slight move. It’ll go all the way into the upper or lower corners of the field.

Edited by Gregm61

On 3/4/2021 at 10:05 PM, nicci78 said:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

In march 2019, Leica has promised to bring full L-mount compatibility to TL2 through a firmware update.  
They never communicate the date. It never came. 
It won’t come anytime soon, now that TL2 line up is left for dead. 
It is very sad. Leica should at least meet their commitments. Just to honour their buyers. 

Two years later, only SL, CL, SL2 and SL2-S are first class citizens of the L-mount alliance. 
TL2 is a third class one. T and TL were not even mentioned  

When there is compatibility problems, why the camera should take the blame, not the lens?

Could it be the problem with the third party lens ?   

I can see from the thread that there are many more CL users than TL2 users.  For CL broken promises have shown taken over.  😳 Get right back to the thread title.  Please.  But I still think Leica has not treated the first TL2 customers ok.  TL 2, CL and SL should be on same level for af lenses. 

1 hour ago, Einst_Stein said:

When there is compatibility problems, why the camera should take the blame, not the lens?

Could it be the problem with the third party lens ?   

Panasonic and Sigma L-mount lenses were introduced after the latest TL2 firmware update. 
Any special features of those lenses will not be recognised by TL2. 
It is basic functions only. Any AF tweaks won’t be available for TL2.

• Like 1

Bad terminology. 
Any AF protocol improvements between the Sigma/Panasonic L-mount lenses and the body won’t be available for TL2. 

In this front Sigma and Panasonic lenses are not on par yet with Leica own L-mount lenses on Leica bodies. 
The reverse is also true. L-mount alliance is still a work in progress. And you’ll wish to get timely firmware update to ensure the best compatibility. 

Another downside for the lack of TL2 updates : the impossibility to update the firmware any L-mount lenses with the TL2. It can be done with SL, CL or SL2, S1 series, S5 and fp. But not with TL2. You  have to have another L-mount body. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Panasonic and Sigma L-mount lenses were introduced after the latest TL2 firmware update. 
Any special features of those lenses will not be recognised by TL2. 
It is basic functions only. Any AF tweaks won’t be available for TL2.

At the moment, I do not have a Sigma or Panasonic L-mount lens, so I cannot verify if this lens works in automatic (AF) on the Leica TL2.
What I have done is call Reflecta, Sigma Official Distributor in Spain, to ask them, they answer me saying that if I buy a lens with an (L) mount, it will work on my TL2 camera like any Leica L lens.

I also told you that the last firmware Leica released for the TL2 was long before Sigma and Panasonic released such lenses. They tell me this has nothing to do with it. Leica, Sony and the rest of the companies that make up this group, will collaborate with Sigma and Panasonic providing all the technical data of the cameras to which Sigma and Panasonic will make lenses compatible with them and their system.

It would be nice if someone who had the Leica TL2 with the possibility to try one of these mount lenses (L) would let us know if he can use them in all modes and especially (AF).

I am also writing to Leica with this question, what they answer will be reported in the forum.

9 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Bad terminology. 
Any AF protocol improvements between the Sigma/Panasonic L-mount lenses and the body won’t be available for TL2. 

In this front Sigma and Panasonic lenses are not on par yet with Leica own L-mount lenses on Leica bodies. 
The reverse is also true. L-mount alliance is still a work in progress. And you’ll wish to get timely firmware update to ensure the best compatibility. 

Another downside for the lack of TL2 updates : the impossibility to update the firmware any L-mount lenses with the TL2. It can be done with SL, CL or SL2, S1 series, S5 and fp. But not with TL2. You  have to have another L-mount body. 

You will get better answer to post your problem to Sigma or Panasonic. Any trouble caused by the new element, call the party who introduces the element.

In your case the correct party to call is Sigma or Panasonic. It's their responsibility to initiate the efforts with Leica to offer the solution.     

23 hours ago, jaapv said:

AF tweaks on Sigma lenses. must be done through the Sigma USB dock ...

10 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Bad terminology. 

Not true - the dock modifies the parameters of the lens, not of the camera.

I have two Sigma L mount lenses for my TL2 and both of them work fine. They both underwent a firmware update the first time they were mated with the TL2 even though they were both manufactured long after the last TL2 firmware update. Make of that what you will. 

I really don’t understand this brouhaha about a lack of firmware updates. There is nothing which needs updating as the camera (plus 3rd party lenses) works just fine as it is. 

Constant updates are a symptom of poor initial programming. 

• Like 1

Hi just a comment.  I recently bought a new open box TL2.  Still had the film on the screen.  And a few days ago I got a sigma 45mm.  Everything works once I found the correct combination of settings.  So in my short time with this very fine camera I don't find anything to update??  Having been in the software world for over 50 years, I do agree with he comment about the need or lack of need for updates.  They are an indication of the effectiveness of the quality process...  The only discrepancy I've found so far is the manual not keeping up to date with the changes in the screen Tiles like the missing Electronic Shutter information in the manual...

• Like 2

I bought and returned a TL2 for the annoyances mentioned.  Jumpy focus indication that worked one time then not another. The reconfigure-able menu system was cool but still not good enough to make it as simple needed.  Decided that the small rear screen made it impossible to get all the data and options needed.  Overall it was not worth the time to commit to it.  It was so small that the lenses adapted outweighed the camera. I could go on…

I decided that downsized smaller than full frame sensors just do not get the development money necessary to compete with full frame sensor cameras. I call all these downsized camera sensors "half frame" since that is about their sensor size plus or minus some.  This lesson cost me well over $1,000 in trade-in accessory items and a lens bought for the TL2, since they were unsellable on ebay.. not one bid! 

From now on I only buy full frame where the market has decided the best image quality, feature set, and used market exist for a viable product and marketplace.   

Technically you are correct.  Guess to me Still Format 24mm x 36mm is full frame… but in motion picture full frame is probably about half of the still format at 18mm x 24mm or they reverse it to 24mm wide x 18mm tall.  Checkout in the attached print-screen Super 35mm, 4 perf, 4:3 full frame. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1