TL2 + L-mount : broken promise

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

In march 2019, Leica has promised to bring full L-mount compatibility to TL2 through a firmware update.  
They never communicate the date. It never came. 
It won’t come anytime soon, now that TL2 line up is left for dead. 
It is very sad. Leica should at least meet their commitments. Just to honour their buyers. 

Two years later, only SL, CL, SL2 and SL2-S are first class citizens of the L-mount alliance. 
TL2 is a third class one. T and TL were not even mentioned  

Edited by nicci78

6 hours ago, nicci78 said:

En marzo de 2019, Leica prometió brindar compatibilidad total con montura L para TL2 a través de una actualización de firmware.  
Nunca comunican la fecha. Nunca llegó. 
No llegará pronto, ahora que la alineación de TL2 se da por muerta. 
Es muy triste. Leica debería al menos cumplir con sus compromisos. Solo para honrar a sus compradores. 

Dos años después, solo SL, CL, SL2 y SL2-S son ciudadanos de primera clase de la alianza L-mount. 
TL2 es de tercera clase. T y TL ni siquiera fueron mencionados  

Leica TL2 doesn't need any firmware for the L-mount lenses now released by Sigma and Panasonic to work. The Lumix 24-105 F4 macro lens, I have seen it on a Leica T, and photos taken with said equipment. (So it is understood that TL2, which is newer, will work the same way.)

I am using Leica M and LTM lenses, some very old and in Manual mode with TL2 and it works perfectly. (I have the latest firmware released by Leica 1.5 and I don't think I need any other firmware.)

The problems that I have had with TL2, all have been from not knowing how it works as I go along, I have to say that it is wonderful to work with.

Where do you get that LT2 is dead? ...

The latest news I have from people who work at Leica is that there is nothing to be taken seriously about the appearance of new models in the Leica CL2 or TL3.

According to my Leica store. 
- CL2 will be launched this year. 
- No TL3 to be expected in the future. 
They are absolutely certain about their information. If you want to upgrade your CL or TL2 for a better APS-C camera. It will be CL2 or nothing. 

You cannot buy new TL2 either. No more stock available in store. You can order one of the last remaining ones online though. 
However you can still buy brand new CL. 

I never said that L-mount Panasonic and Sigma do not work with TL2. Even Leica is stating that basic functionalities will work. But they are also listing everything that won’t work. 
What I am saying is that in March 2019 they were promising us a new firmware update to TL2. It has never come ! CL and SL2 got three updates related to L-mount. TL2 zero... 

That’s the broken promise. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

When will the CL2 be launched?

Almost always these rumors tend to come out of here ....:    https://leicarumors.com/2020/12/31/whats-next-for-leica-6.aspx/  
Or from here ...:   https://www.fotochismes.com/tag/leica/

They tend to get confused many times.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nicci78 said:

According to my Leica store. 
- CL2 will be launched this year. 
- No TL3 to be expected in the future. 
They are absolutely certain about their information. If you want to upgrade your CL or TL2 for a better APS-C camera. It will be CL2 or nothing. 

You cannot buy new TL2 either. No more stock available in store. You can order one of the last remaining ones online though. 
However you can still buy brand new CL. 

I never said that L-mount Panasonic and Sigma do not work with TL2. Even Leica is stating that basic functionalities will work. But they are also listing everything that won’t work. 
What I am saying is that in March 2019 they were promising us a new firmware update to TL2. It has never come ! CL and SL2 got three updates related to L-mount. TL2 zero... 

That’s the broken promise. 

I do not know if CL and TL 2 are being manufactured right now or if there are many or few cameras in Stock, but in Leica Camera Spain today you cannot buy Leica CL, you can see ...: https://store.leica-camera.com/es/es/detail/index/sArticle/2591
TL2 is available for purchase and is very well advertised and has many accessories (some are CL compatible). https://es.leica-camera.com/FOTOGRAFÍA/Leica-CL-TL2/Leica-TL2

I do not care that there is no TL3, I am very happy with TL2 and today I would not change it for any camera. The failures I have had have been my fault, not the camera and its system.

Thorsten Overgaard, writes ...:  https://www.overgaard.dk/Leica-TL-mirrorless-digital-camera-review-and-user-report.html

• Like 1

Of course you are happy with your TL2. It is a fine camera. 

But you should still ask Leica to provide a last update for TL2 as promised. Just to bring it on par with CL. 

What a anomaly : TL2 and CL share the same guts. But the former is left for dead since October 2018. When the latter still got important support as early as  August 2020. 

If every TL2 owners have expressed their dissatisfaction about the missing promised firmware. We would already got one. But being too kind or not vocal enough lead to this situation. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, nicci78 said:

But you should still ask Leica to provide a last update for TL2 as promised. Just to bring it on par with CL. 

What a anomaly : TL2 and CL share the same guts. But the former is left for dead since October 2018. When the latter still got important support as early as  August 2020. 

If every TL2 owners have expressed their dissatisfaction about the missing promised firmware. We would already got one. But being too kind or not vocal enough lead to this situation. 

I have to agree with you.  We are some who bought the camera just when it came.  And quite shortly after, the Leica CL launched. (2 weeks ?)  It was ok, but Leica should have said that there were two such different concepts (in APSC) that came up, at such short intervals.  I think Leica should make sure that TL2 is in line with CL.  I think that is fair.  We are all loyal customers (and still are) We buy as the first TL2.  It may not mean much to Leica to make that update.

On 3/6/2021 at 12:07 AM, nicci78 said:

I don’t know that the two cameras have the same “guts”. They seem radically different in many ways. I suspect the TL2 programming team no longer exists. The CL team may be working on CL2 firmware.

Slightly off topic, but maybe Leica can find someone in the CL group who can spare a few minutes and fix that damn wandering focus box issue?  Every time I use my CL, I have to remember to look for whatever corner the AF box is stuck in, FE enter it, and take my shot. Not a prime example of Das Wesentliche.    

• Like 1

6 hours ago, oldwino said:

I don’t know that the two cameras have the same “guts”. They seem radically different in many ways. I suspect the TL2 programming team no longer exists. The CL team may be working on CL2 firmware.

Slightly off topic, but maybe Leica can find someone in the CL group who can spare a few minutes and fix that damn wandering focus box issue?  Every time I use my CL, I have to remember to look for whatever corner the AF box is stuck in, FE enter it, and take my shot. Not a prime example of Das Wesentliche.    

It’s been on their “Round Tuit” list for two years. These things can’t be rushed you know!

14 hours ago, oldwino said:

Every time I use my CL, I have to remember to look for whatever corner the AF box is stuck in, FE enter it, and take my shot. Not a prime example of Das Wesentliche.

Just double tap the screen. The AF box will center itself. 
It will become second nature. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, oldwino said:

...Un peu hors sujet, mais peut-être que Leica peut trouver quelqu'un dans le groupe CL qui peut épargner quelques minutes et résoudre ce foutu problème de boîte de mise au point errante? Chaque fois que j'utilise mon CL, je dois me rappeler de chercher quel que soit le coin dans lequel la boîte AF est coincée, FE y entre et prend ma photo. Pas un excellent exemple de Das Wesentliche.    

With the Artisan Half Case and Artist (http://www.artisan-n-artist.com/product_detail.php?id=495) + Rear Thumb Rest, my thumb / palm base hardly ever touches the screen or directional pad.
When this happens in an extremely rare way, a simple double tap brings the focus to the center.

Guytou

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nicci78 said:

Just double tap the screen. The AF box will center itself. 
It will become second nature. 

And miss you shots whilst tapping. Last time was yesterday - I was shooting birds and the b****y thing had disappeared to a corner. I don't want to fiddle needlessly.

Of course still annoying. 

Fun fact : X and X Vario of yesteryears already solved that problem. Focus point is always locked. To unlock it : just press the delete/focus button. Then use the directional pad.   
Otherwise the pad will be used for direct accessed functions. 

Edited by nicci78