Binoculars: 8x32 or 10x32?

Hello, 

As binoculars are long life items, take into account the duration of warranty the manufacturer offers.

Seems that Swarowski gives life time warranty, usefull if a seals have to be changed ( or any other issue) that may occur, but after XXX years.

I personnally own a pair of Ultravid HD 10X 42 I love but not to be taken to the Opera except if you accept to be considered as a peeper.

Toooo late.

Congratulations, Leica binos are excellent.

Edited by Gelatino
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Gelatino:

As binoculars are long life items, take into account the duration of warranty the manufacturer offers.

Seems that Swarowski gives life time warranty, usefull if a seals have to be changed ( or any other issue) that may occur, but after XXX years.

Indeed "on paper" that sounds great and is to be prefered when you have the chance to get "life time warranty". Personally I think if something is wrong technically, it will fail in the first 10 years which is easily covered by Leica with 30 years. Seals could become an issue in long term if you are a hardcore user and need 100% waterproof. I don´t know if that is covered with life time warranty. Bought my Ultravid a while ago but warranty is still long enough especially compared to photographic gear.

The German quality binos I own which were partly made in the 1960s are still fine. Some needed lubrication and that was it. Could be done at home.

Am 31.3.2021 um 06:23 schrieb Wayben:

The 8X25 is a nice size physically to keep in a camera bag or take along when traveling, and will be bright enough as long as you aren't intending to be viewing in low light.  I tend to bring the 8X25s along a lot when traveling ...

Same here, another strong vote for 8x25 if they should live in a camera bag. Everything else is likely too big and heavy. Since Leica don't make a 8x25 (I think they never did, it was always 8x20 and 10x25), you have to go with Swarovski or Zeiss. Try them out if you can, they are both excellent. The current Swarovski 8x25 CL pocket is optically and mechanically superb (due to its compact size and excellent optical quality it is my most used binocular). It is a two hinge design, whereas the Zeiss Victory pocket is a one hinge design (two hinge designs tend to be more compact when folded). Compact 10x25s are more difficult to hold steady, so I'd go for 8x25 instead.

Andy

On 4/20/2021 at 1:48 PM, Rona!d said:

Indeed "on paper" that sounds great and is to be prefered when you have the chance to get "life time warranty". Personally I think if something is wrong technically, it will fail in the first 10 years which is easily covered by Leica with 30 years. Seals could become an issue in long term if you are a hardcore user and need 100% waterproof. I don´t know if that is covered with life time warranty. Bought my Ultravid a while ago but warranty is still long enough especially compared to photographic gear.

The German quality binos I own which were partly made in the 1960s are still fine. Some needed lubrication and that was it. Could be done at home.

That is not quite the case - My 10x42 Jagd , well over twenty years old and with lifetime Passport guarantee developed a problem with the pull-out eye shades on the ocular. Leica not only fixed it for free, they overhauled the binoculars like new, including the rubber, and apologized that they could not replace a front lens with a scratch (which was so small that I had never noticed it). If it were just a standard thirty-years warranty  they would probably have only replaced the sliding eyeshade.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2021 at 6:06 AM, latobonga said:

On the one hand, the 10x magnification model is better when wanting to see details it gives you much finer details. On the other hand, the 8x magnification is far more comfortable, because the handshaking is not so noticeable. https://theoptics.org/best-10x42-binoculars/ Before buying you need to take a look at the reviews.

Missing the Ultravids,  Zeiss and Swarovski binoculars here, not very useful.

• 5 months later...
Am 4.3.2021 um 22:30 schrieb LocalHero1953:

I plan to get a pair of binoculars, probably Ultravid HD Plus. I've wanted a good pair for a long time, and a recent bequest allows me to get exactly what I want, as a memento of the giver.

I can't decide between 8x32 or 10x32, so looking for comments on what you have found better, why, and what you use them for. Do you get more benefit from the extra magnification, from the wider angle or from the better performance in low light?

If I do a google search, I find nothing but recommendations from twitchers or hunters, and I'm not into birds or blood sports. I would use them for lightweight travel and tourism, getting a closer look at buildings and other attractions, upland hiking, and yes, some wildlife. They would live in my camera bag. I'm posting here in the hope I might find someone with similar interests, but all comments would be welcome.

Hi 
I am about a binocular, one of your choices should it be! Which one did you buy? thanks for any help

I've always preferred 8x for birdwatching.  Usually smaller, lighter and brighter than 10x, I find them less tiring to use.

I bought a pair of 8x20 Ultravids from Red Dot a couple of weeks ago because I wanted a compact pair, they're very good and easy to carry in a jacket pocket.  I think they're ideal small bins for sea watching here in good light. 

• Like 1

We often share binoculars when a friend wants a look too.  With 10x binos they take a bit of experience to use well.

I have many pairs of binoculars for birding, travel  and for astronomy...only one pair are 10x, the rest are 8x.

By the way...binoculars are great in early morning or evening light too, because of their light collecting ability.

Edited by david strachan
  • Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 6:06 PM, latobonga said:

On the one hand, the 10x magnification model is better when wanting to see details it gives you much finer details. On the other hand, the 8x magnification is far more comfortable, because the handshaking is not so noticeable. https://theoptics.org/best-10x42-binoculars/ Before buying you need to take a look at the reviews.

I agree with this advice.

I won a pair of Zeiss 25 pocket binoculars (over 30 years ago) - they folded into a Z and were compact and very nice to use (probably 8x).  Kids lost them.  Bought some Ultravid 10x25 and they’re as compact as the Zeiss, but not as easy to use.  I then found some Noctivid 8x42 at a good price, and really appreciated the eye relief and reasonably compact.  I do tend to throw the Ultravids into my camera bag, where the Noctivids are large enough it has to be an intentional choice.

Will take both to Fjordland - my partner will use one, and I the other.  Hoping to see Kakapo in the wild, along with lots of other birdlife, whales and dolphins.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I love the night vision binoculars come in different models and sizes but buying a high-end one doesn’t guarantee you’ll get effective equipment. The interesting part is, you can save lots of bucks if you pick a budget-friendly bino just by knowing the right features and places to look into. Regardless of your tour destinations, you’ll get clear visions and even record them if your bino has a recording functionality. Now we have several generations of night vision binos from 1 to 4. Generation 1 is the earliest model that suits the watching wild games. Generation 4 is the most recent model that is super-powerful. You should pick a lightweight bino if you plan to carry and use it for long hours. It’s even better if it comes with a strap. X-Vision XANB35 3-6x Night Vision Binoculars are good for camping, sports, wildlife observation, sightseeing, farm monitoring, hunting etc.
I love it Night Vision Binoculars has an ergonomic design and comes with three backlight brightness settings for increased illumination. You can use it during the day and night. You should also get a good 4GB to 32GB micro SD card to take photos and record videos and transfer them to your laptops. You should also get a good 4GB to 32GB micro SD card to take photos and record videos and transfer them to your laptops.

• 1 year later...
On 4/13/2021 at 5:05 AM, LocalHero1953 said:

Here you are: maximum width and folded. The leather is the correct colour; the metal should be on the brown side of grey.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi! 

im a little confused now, didn’t Leica JUST unveil this special edition ultravids? I see that your post is in 2021. Are they the same? 

5 hours ago, Bryan Goh said:

Hi! 

im a little confused now, didn’t Leica JUST unveil this special edition ultravids? I see that your post is in 2021. Are they the same? 

I don't know. Looks like the same colour, but mine were labelled "Custom" while the new ones are labelled "HD Plus".

4 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I don't know. Looks like the same colour, but mine were labelled "Custom" while the new ones are labelled "HD Plus".

Usually HD Plus models are just labelled "HD", but with the HD in red rather than white.

• Like 1