Binoculars: 8x32 or 10x32?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

14 minutes ago, jwr50 said:

I have a pair of 8x32 Ultravid HDs and a pair of Swarovski 8.5x42s.  Both are excellent binoculars, but I think the 8x32 Ultravids are better for general use.

Care to expand?

I notice you are in Virginia.  Are there any good dealers that carry both in the VA/MD/DC area (I’m on the MD side).

Jeff

On 3/7/2021 at 11:24 AM, Jeff S said:

Care to expand?

I notice you are in Virginia.  Are there any good dealers that carry both in the VA/MD/DC area (I’m on the MD side).

Jeff

Sure, Jeff . . . The 8x32 Ultravids are a bit more compact, lighter, and easier to carry that the 8.5x42 Swarovskis.  I tend to use the Swarovskis around the house for bird watching -- and they are great for that -- but if I'm out and about for the day and want to carry binos with me, it'll usually be the 8x32 Ultravids that I grab.  I do think the Swarovskis have a slight advantage over the Ultravids in terms of brightness and color clarity, but I assume that is the difference in the 42mm vs. the 32mm objectives.

Both are top-of-the-line binos, but if size and portability are a consideration for you, the 8x32 Ultravids would likely win your favor.  I find it difficult to handhold anything over 8X magnification, and frankly I can't recall a time when 8X wasn't sufficient for my purposes.

I'm in Northern Virginia, but I typically buy my camera equipment and optics either from B&H in NY or the Leica Store in DC.  I know the Leica store on F St. in DC carries binoculars, so you should be able to check out whatever Leica binos you are interested in down there.  Great staff there.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jwr50 said:

Sure, Jeff . . . The 8x32 Ultravids are a bit more compact, lighter, and easier to carry that the 8.5x42 Swarovskis.  I tend to use the Swarovskis around the house for bird watching -- and they are great for that -- but if I'm out and about for the day and want to carry binos with me, it'll usually be the 8x32 Ultravids that I grab.  I do think the Swarovskis have a slight advantage over the Ultravids in terms of brightness and color clarity, but I assume that is the difference in the 42mm vs. the 32mm objectives.

Both are top-of-the-line binos, but if size and portability are a consideration for you, the 8x32 Ultravids would likely win your favor.  I find it difficult to handhold anything over 8X magnification, and frankly I can't recall a time when 8X wasn't sufficient for my purposes.

I'm in Northern Virginia, but I typically buy my camera equipment and optics either from B&H in NY or the Leica Store in DC.  I know the Leica store on F St. in DC carries binoculars, so you should be able to check out whatever Leica binos you are interested in down there.  Great staff there.  

Thanks much.... appreciate the elaboration.  I’ve shopped the DC store before, and know they have binos, but was hoping there was a nearby retailer carrying both Leica and Swarovski.  Probably not. I shop B&H for items I don’t need to try out first, and this definitely will require side-by-side experience.  I may just try a few Leica binos and skip the Swaros.

Jeff

On 3/4/2021 at 9:30 PM, LocalHero1953 said:

I can't decide between 8x32 or 10x32, so looking for comments on what you have found better, why, and what you use them for. Do you get more benefit from the extra magnification, from the wider angle or from the better performance in low light?

I would say thar the 8x32 will prove to be great all round binoculars. Iin my experience, if you don't know whether you need 10x magnification, then you probably don't. In all honesty Leica binoculars have been fabulous for a very long time. The current models offer incrementally better performance at a lighter weight. If I was going to buy a new pair of binoculars my choice would be around 8x30ish as a good compromise between magnification, size, weight and usability in reasonable light. Anything more pwerful would be my choice only if I had a specific need for more magnificaion which I do not. The same goes for better low light performance, in that if I had a specific need for it I might look at 8x40ish, but again I don't. I currently own a pair of 8x30 Zeiss Dialyt which are trashed, cost very little and sit around to be used from the house or as a carry around when remebered pair. I also have a pair of original 7x35 Trinovids which are in great condition and hardly ever get used because the Dialyts are so usable. I should get rid of them really! I have also owned 8x30 Trinovids (now my wife) and a pair of the dual maginifaction Leica binos - fabulous but too heavy and they didn't get used.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I have 8X42 Leica Ultravid HD and 8X25 and 10X42 Swarovski.  8X is powerful enough for most everything and much easier to hold steady.  The 8X25 is a nice size physically to keep in a camera bag or take along when traveling, and will be bright enough as long as you aren't intending to be viewing in low light.  I tend to bring the 8X25s along a lot when traveling and only bring out the X42s when I'm going out specifically to use binoculars. 

Wayne

• Like 2

Interesting topic. I value having bins with me above having a camera. I currently have a pair of 8x20 BR Ultravids which I keep in my bag throughout spring and summer. The main benefit for me is the size. The 8x20s are good enough to do the job I require of them – I use them most of the time for looking at butterflies (which, by their nature, are almost always visible in good light) – but they are small and light enough that I can carry them in my bag whether I think I might need them or not. I'm a real fan of travelling/walking unencumbered and, for me, 'normal' sized binoculars fall into the category of a significant sized bit of kit. The 8x20 Ultravids also have a short focus distance of around 1.5m which is at the shorter end of what is available and is a critical feature for me. Most binoculars, Leica or otherwise, seem to have close focus distances of 2.5m, sometimes longer and that is a real limitation for viewing small things that you can get physically close to. My 8x20s aren't perfect. I have considered getting a pair of bins with more magnification because I think I might occasionally benefit from the additional enlargement (especially when trying to identify hairstreaks at the top of trees) but I'm not sure whether what I'd gain by the magnification would be lost by the extra shakiness of the image.

If I do buy another par of binoculars I will almost certainly get the Trinovid 8x32 or 10x32 because they have a really beneficial (for me) short focus distance of 1m. I've held off buying for now because I'm not sure if I want the extra size/weight to carry around and, like you, I'm not sure whether to go 8x or 10x.😀

As a sidenote, I also own a Monovid. I bought this because I really liked the idea of having something super small in my bag that was there if I needed it. However, I soon found out that a monocular is a really bad alternative to a pair of bins. I now use it – with the close focus adaptor fitted – as a very expensive botanical hand lens (for which purpose it can be amazing).

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a pair of Trinovid 10x25 BC (I think made in the late 90s/early 2000s) and in addition to all the good things people in this thread have been saying about the Leica binoculars, last year I fell off my bike (had both my hands off the handlebar because I'm an idiot), and because I was on the Brompton the front wheel just swung round, and I flipped straight over the front in a large and fast arc and landed with the full force of my body on top of the binoculars in a small carry-bag that was on my back.

The small hand-made case the previous owner had made for the binoculars was totally torn to shreds by the rough surface of the road, and a small gouge of metal was also scraped from an outside edge, but to my amazement, no other visible damage was done. I was pretty convinced the internal lenses would be off somehow, but they weren't - and I've been using the binoculars with no problems since.

So short story: they're also tough.

• Like 1

I have the 10x32 and am really happy with it. For general purpose (travel etc.) I´d recommend the 8x32. Stunning optical quality both. The Vit fits well in my Billingham photobag above the M camera/lenses and is light enough to carry around all day long. My older serious binoculars were much too heavy and bulky and the "compacts" were too light and small for my taste.

When I got the 10x32 I didn´t have my compact high-quality fieldscope so the 10x was welcome for watching birds, planes, sailboat regattas etc. You need some exercise holding the 10x stable but it works well once you know how. Even watching insects or flower blossoms from a near distance is such a pleasure with the Ultravid.

I think the 32x have the real size for every day use.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rounding off this thread as the OP: today I tried the Leica 8x20 and 10x25 and the Swarovski equivalents, and the Leica 8x32, Swarovski 8x32 and 10x32. I bought the Leica Ultravid HD+ 8x32, in a special edition 'Custom' finish of brown leather and bronzed metal - I received the money to pay for them as a legacy, so chose to pay the extra in memory of the giver.

Some conclusions from the try-outs:

• The Swarovskis appeared optically superior in a static view, even allowing for the higher magnification. The Leicas were close behind, not disappointingly so.
  • The Swarovskis were significantly larger, and didn't fold as neatly as the Leicas. They felt slightly, just slightly more comfortable in the hand. But the small size, linear style, short length and compact folding were the deciding factors for picking Leica over Swarovski. I can tuck the Leicas in my bag next to a lens. It was difficult to split the two on apparent build quality.
  • Both the Leica small pairs had a slightly sticky focus movement: not easy to move smoothly with one finger. My old Pentax 9x20 were much smoother, as were the Swarovskis. The Leica 8x32 were smooth. I guess some of these things may loosen up as you use them, but I was disappointed.
  • I don't think I would enjoy using the small Leicas, or the small Swarovski, for regular use; the field of vision is just too small. It was a relief to pick up the #x32.
  • In panning, the 'rolling ball' effect of the Swarovskis was very noticeable compared to the Leicas. I am not going to use them for a lot of bird watching, following BIF across a landscape, but the Swarovskis would concern me in this respect - slightly queasy.
  • My final decision was over 8x32 or 10x32. The Leica 10x32 were not available to try. They are very slightly longer, but the main reason for going for 8x32 was the bigger field of view. TBH this was six of one and half a dozen of the other; I could have gone either way. Being able to walk out with the 'Custom' 8x32 there and then had something to do with it!
  • Leica carries its packaging branding through to binoculars; the shop assistant got lost among all the origami and jewel cases in the box, but, from my vast experience of cameras and lenses, I helped him find the strap (in the bottom drawer, as usual). 

I spent the rest of the day along the north Norfolk coast, breaking them in.😉

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Can we see a pic?

Jeff

Here you are: maximum width and folded. The leather is the correct colour; the metal should be on the brown side of grey.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Here you are: maximum width and folded. The leather is the correct colour; the metal should be on the brown side of grey.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Sweet! Congrats and enjoy.

Jeff

• Like 1

Enjoy! My mom is a bird watcher, so I was raised on binoculars. In the end, I wound up with Swarovski 8.5x42's, and I love them. If you keep them around, you will find a lot of unexpected uses for them. I love handing them to people who don't have much experience with high quality binoculars and watching their jaws drop open when they have a look through. Digiscoping can be fun too, though it can be a bit fiddly to set up...

• Like 1

Congratulations. Too bad you couldn´t compare the Leica 8x32 to the Leica 10x32 like I did at Leica factory and which let me choose the 10x. But you had a 10x32 Svaro, so could judge the difference in field of view. Generally the 8x32 is the better "allrounder" so right decision anyway. Enjoy this lovely high quality binoculars. It´s the perfect size for every day use and "serious" enough for nature observations until the light leaves you. The compact way it folds let it fit into my Billingham for Leica bag even with two M cameras in it, the Ultravid just sits on the top.

This morning it was a pleasure again to spot birds in our garden. This thing makes me more happy than any digital camera can, because it does not age the way digital cameras do. It will do it´s job for decades.

Sometimes when people ask me if they should buy another expensive exotic lens which they might rareley use in the field, I recommend them to try an Ultravid instead. With good binoculars you see things in such a perfect quality that you will burn your observations directely into your brain which is your personal harddrive. I call this "Ultravid Photography".

• Like 2

On 4/13/2021 at 12:12 PM, Rona!d said:

Congratulations. Too bad you couldn´t compare the Leica 8x32 to the Leica 10x32 like I did at Leica factory and which let me choose the 10x. But you had a 10x32 Svaro, so could judge the difference in field of view. Generally the 8x32 is the better "allrounder" so right decision anyway. Enjoy this lovely high quality binoculars. It´s the perfect size for every day use and "serious" enough for nature observations until the light leaves you. The compact way it folds let it fit into my Billingham for Leica bag even with two M cameras in it, the Ultravid just sits on the top.

This morning it was a pleasure again to spot birds in our garden. This thing makes me more happy than any digital camera can, because it does not age the way digital cameras do. It will do it´s job for decades.

Sometimes when people ask me if they should buy another expensive exotic lens which they might rareley use in the field, I recommend them to try an Ultravid instead. With good binoculars you see things in such a perfect quality that you will burn your observations directely into your brain which is your personal harddrive. I call this "Ultravid Photography".

The close-up ability of the 8x and 10x is different - or at least it used to be for the Trinovids. The 8x focused down to 1m, making it suitable for insects etc. I think that this may still be the case.

vor 11 Stunden schrieb jaapv:

The close-up ability of the 8x and 10x is different - or at least it used to be for the Trinovids. The 8x focused down to 1m, making it suitable for insects etc. I think that this may still be the case.

Data sheet from Leica says:

Ultravid HD-Plus 8x32 = ca. 2,1m

Ultravid HD-Plus 10x32 = ca. 2m

Trinovid 8x32 HD = ca. 1m

Trinovid 10x32 HD = ca. 1m