The 50mm f/1,2 Noctilux Image Thread

Wonzo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Pole and creek. Had mine for 2 weeks now and warm to it more and more. This is shot at 2.0 and heavily cropped because I love the out of focus bubbles. To all pixel peepers - focus point is outside this frame. M10R.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Bo-Sixten
  • Like 10

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tightsqueez

Leica M6. Leica 50mm f1.2 Noctilux lens.  Tri-X rated at 800, developed 7:45 in XTOL stock with added Rodinal 1:100. 20 degrees Celsius. 
fabior

to

mdg1371

Wide open.

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Bo-Sixten said:

To all pixel peepers - focus point is outside this frame. M10R.

Ah, while I love to pixel peep to learn a lens capabilities and deficits, your image is what I love about photography, the more artsy side.

• Like 2

vor 37 Minuten schrieb Bo-Sixten:

Pole and creek. Had mine for 2 weeks now and warm to it more and more. This is shot at 2.0 and heavily cropped because I love the out of focus bubbles. To all pixel peepers - focus point is outside this frame. M10R.

Bo-sixten: your image inspired me to show a pic of a bird and especially the bokeh bubbles on the following pic, cropped as well, but not as heavily as yours.

M9-P   f/1.2

Edited by Wonzo
  • Like 5

Waiting at the traffic lights

f/1.2   M10-P

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Wonzo said:

Waiting at the traffic lights

f/1.2   M10-P

FedEx dropped the ball on my delivery today for my own copy of the new 50 1.2 Noctilux, so thank you Wonzo, Bo-Sixteen and Darylgo for providing such wonderful and representative photos of what the new 50 1.2 can deliver, I think I can now sleep tonight to survive the anticipation to hopefully get my copy tomorrow, FedEx willing. 

Not sure what others think but I am very impressed with how this new lens renders. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, insideline said:

Not sure what others think but I am very impressed with how this new lens renders. 

Absolutely! I can’t wait for mine to arrive (in a few days hopefully) and to try portraiture with it. There is a softness or roundness to it that is superb. Something feminine and delicate. 

I join my thanks to Insideline’s with respect to all those who indeed shared their images and are making our wait much easier :) 

Edited by Hanno
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, insideline said:

FedEx dropped the ball on my delivery today for my own copy of the new 50 1.2 Noctilux, so thank you Wonzo, Bo-Sixteen and Darylgo for providing such wonderful and representative photos of what the new 50 1.2 can deliver, I think I can now sleep tonight to survive the anticipation to hopefully get my copy tomorrow, FedEx willing. 

If only FedEx knew how much we anticipate the arrival of a new lens and in particular this one.  Hope it arrives without more delay.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, tightsqueez said:

The BEST statement about this lens. Totally hit the nail on the head! 

FedEx came through so I have been testing my copy today and I have to 100% as well agree with that statement of how this lens renders. I also was very happy to see how well it is constructed, it feels very solid, the rear extra cap is metal, front and hood feel like black coated brass, aperture clicks absolutely perfect and focus ring preverbal butter. The size though is a home run, perfect in every way, a little shorter than my 50 1.4 black chrome Summilux Asph and a litter fatter equals just about right to me. 

Lovely rendering wide open, then F2 on up very sharp with great contrast providing a very capable combination of traits old and new. Truly a lovely lens and I can only imagine how nice the silver brass bodied version feels in hand. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, insideline said:

FedEx came through so I have been testing my copy today and I have to 100% as well agree with that statement of how this lens renders. I also was very happy to see how well it is constructed, it feels very solid, the rear extra cap is metal, front and hood feel like black coated brass, aperture clicks absolutely perfect and focus ring preverbal butter. The size though is a home run, perfect in every way, a little shorter than my 50 1.4 black chrome Summilux Asph and a litter fatter equals just about right to me. 

Lovely rendering wide open, then F2 on up very sharp with great contrast providing a very capable combination of traits old and new. Truly a lovely lens and I can only imagine how nice the silver brass bodied version feels in hand. 

Truly so happy that you got yours, and that you could relate to it in such a wonderful way and so quickly!

Thanks for sharing this, it makes the wait easier!

Enjoy many shoots to come with it, and I hope your other lenses won’t be too jealous :) 

• Like 1

vor 21 Minuten schrieb insideline:

Perfect summary! Hope to see some images soon! Enjoy!

What I like in this image are the thousands of light reflections in the trees. Shot only a few minutes after leaving the Leica Store.

f/1.2   M10-P

• Like 16

14 minutes ago, Wonzo said:

What I like in this image are the thousands of light reflections in the trees. Shot only a few minutes after leaving the Leica Store.

f/1.2   M10-P

Yes, these are the nuances contained in this lens, just lovely. 

1966 Noctilux 1.2 on M240

1966 Noctilux 1.2 on M240

My first image stopped down to f/5,6 in this thread: Porta Nigra, the only remaining roman gate in the city of Trier, Germany. Built from 170 AC.

SL2-S

• Like 6

From inside the Porta Nigra at f/1,2  ... nasty weather btw ....

Edited by Wonzo
  • Like 10

59 minutes ago, Sid Bolan said:

Jono Slack's review suggested that, at 1.2, nothing is quite sharp, a view that seems to be supported by most of the sample images I've seen. Is everyone having the some experience?

Thats actually not how I would describe the lens. It is sharp enough wide open and if you have a chance to review John Buckley's sample images here on the forum you can see that even wide open the focus point is sharp. As compared to my E58 F1 Noctilux I find the new 1.2 a little sharper but without as much aberrations in the out of focus areas, and in general all shots at 1.2 feel creative and really quite lovely. I only had a chance to take a few direct comparisons against my Dad's original 1968 1.2 and they do render a bit differently and in fact it is the original that I feel better fits Jono's description. Then at F2 this new iteration diverges from the original design and is far far sharper with most measurable performance aspects being better than the original. So far I feel like this is two lenses in one, wide open it is close the original 1.2 and offers a creative platform to play with, then from F2 on up it is much more of a modern lens which for me makes for a versatile all around 50mm focal length. It is also extremely well made, better than any other modern alloy barrel Leica lens with a solid general feel, perfect aperture clicks and beautifully smooth focus. The front cap is either brass or some kind of metal with the lovely Leica felt inside and the hood is beautifully made plus the second back cap is metal as well. Wide open this new 1.2 does not provide the really swirly out of focus rendering of the F1 Noctilux instead is more similar and gentle like the original 1.2. All in all really a very lovely lens.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, insideline said:

As compared to my E58 F1 Noctilux I find the new 1.2 a little sharper but without as much aberrations in the out of focus areas, and in general all shots at 1.2 feel creative and really quite lovely. I only had a chance to take a few direct comparisons against my Dad's original 1968 1.2 and they do render a bit differently and in fact it is the original that I feel better fits Jono's description.

Thanks for this comparison.  One avenue that I need to explore is the use of the new noctilux f1.2 on a 24mp body.  I've only shot it on an M10-R and it might play better with 24mp, chromatic aberrations may be less. 

35 minutes ago, insideline said:

So far I feel like this is two lenses in one, wide open it is close the original 1.2 and offers a creative platform to play with, then from F2 on up it is much more of a modern lens which for me makes for a versatile all around 50mm focal length.

All in all really a very lovely lens.

Couldn't agree more.  

Thank you Leica!!!

• Like 1