The 50mm f/1,2 Noctilux Image Thread

Wonzo

13 minutes ago, fabior said:

This comparison of precisely these lenses is exactly what I have been waiting for some one to do, "thank you" so much! I own all of these lenses except the SL 1.4 which I have owned in the past, and my primary questions on the new 1.2 is will it provide as much "character" as the E58 F1 yet be sharper as it opens up past F2? You are saying its not quite as playful as your E58 but still quite good wide open so may I ask for you thoughts on the new 1.2's sharpness and overall performance when opened up F2 and beyond when compared against the .95, E58 and yes the 50 1.4 Pre-Ash Summilux? I am hoping the new 1.2 will make for a fun and creative tool to use quite a lot wide open but also as a general 50 lens stopped down. I also agree that the 50 1.4 pre-apsh provides a great alternative at a fraction of the price. Thank you again for sharing these comparisons with us!

As I like a lot BW I can add this photo too ! taken with my loved M9m  and noctilux f1.2 wide open. Developed for my tests in lightroom and silver efex.

Actually I have used my new f1.2  lens practically only wide open but from the few pictures taken I have seen  an impression of high definition But no comparison done .

6 hours ago, fabior said:

I did a test in times of covid so in the house. I used the SL2 and the 5 50mm I have. Developed with lightroom and I only corrected the white balance, no other changes.

Lenses :

Noctilux f0.95

Noctilux f1 E58

Noctilux f1.2

Summilux 50mm  M pre Asph black

Summilux SL

My conclusion : they are all very  very good lenses but with some differences. Summilux Sl the most defined , noctilux  f1 the less defined but with the best out of focus, summilux M a best buy, noctilux f0.95 very defined between fast lenses , f1.2 a very good balance between all of them !!  So, nothing new !!!

Awesome! Thanks for this! 

I went through the images blindly... not looking at which lens was used. Given the old technology used, I was first skeptical about the 1.2, but couldn’t believe I picked the 1.2 as my favorite: The f1.0 was second, pre—ASPH third. The 1.2 separates itself from the other lenses by this weird OOF rendering that gives it a more pronounced 3D effect. It’s almost as if the background is moving. 

I was floored the 0.95 was my least favorite. 

40 minutes ago, mdg1371 said:

Wide open.

To me 'how' the new 1.2 Noctilux renders those lights above your daughters head really helps to identify how differently this new Noctilux renders when compared to the .95 and the F1 versions. Lovely photograph regardless of lens yet also an encouraging support for the new 1.2!

33 minutes ago, insideline said:

To me 'how' the new 1.2 Noctilux renders those lights above your daughters head really helps to identify how differently this new Noctilux renders when compared to the .95 and the F1 versions. Lovely photograph regardless of lens yet also an encouraging support for the new 1.2!

Thanks!

Exactly why I chose this framing and location.

6 hours ago, Wonzo said:

Detail of a Cathedral Door

f/1,2   M9-P

Thank you for posting all of these images. My copy arrives this Tuesday, but what I can see from your photographs is that the on center circle is "sharp enough" then the out of focus rendering possesses the needed Noctilux look all packaged in a very manageably sized body!! Yes my .95 is sharper on center and probably provides a more 3D rendering along with a smoother and faster out of focus rendering, but if the new 1.2 is as good as it looks here and I hope it to be I can limit my .95 to special shoots and take the 1.2 virtually everywhere else. I can't wait to see for myself and thanks again for sharing your wonderful files, love them.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb insideline:

Thank you for posting all of these images. My copy arrives this Tuesday, but what I can see from your photographs is that the on center circle is "sharp enough" then the out of focus rendering possesses the needed Noctilux look all packaged in a very manageably sized body!! Yes my .95 is sharper on center and probably provides a more 3D rendering along with a smoother and faster out of focus rendering, but if the new 1.2 is as good as it looks here and I hope it to be I can limit my .95 to special shoots and take the 1.2 virtually everywhere else. I can't wait to see for myself and thanks again for sharing your wonderful files, love them.

Many thanks for your compliments, insideline! You will love the look and the size of this lens. I never used my 0.95 so much due to itˋs size and bulkiness on an M, and now itˋs collecting even more dust, since I have the 1.2, which has the perfect size. My first images in this thread were a challenge for the 1.2, as they were mostly and intentionally shot against harsh sunlight. But in more normal conditions the results are dreamy wide open, razor sharp stopped down and for me, the sharpness wide open is absolutely sufficient. You will love this lens, but it wonˋt be such a surprise for you, as you already own the vintage version from your dad, wasnˋt it so? Canˋt wait to see your first results in this thread! Have fun!

14 hours ago, Wonzo said:

Many thanks for your compliments, insideline! You will love the look and the size of this lens. I never used my 0.95 so much due to itˋs size and bulkiness on an M, and now itˋs collecting even more dust, since I have the 1.2, which has the perfect size. My first images in this thread were a challenge for the 1.2, as they were mostly and intentionally shot against harsh sunlight. But in more normal conditions the results are dreamy wide open, razor sharp stopped down and for me, the sharpness wide open is absolutely sufficient. You will love this lens, but it wonˋt be such a surprise for you, as you already own the vintage version from your dad, wasnˋt it so? Canˋt wait to see your first results in this thread! Have fun!

I too am afraid my .95 will become stationary art in my cabinet after the new 1.2 arrives tomorrow, as like you I do use it but not nearly enough. Yes I own my Dad's original 1968 1.2 Noctilux which is why I am certain I will very much enjoy the new version, plus I am more nervous these days to use our original 1.2 out in the busy world. I have primarily been shooting with my E58 F1 Noctilux for its nicer size and the original rendering style, but I suspect it too will take up residence in the cabinet once the new 1.2 is here as now I can actually "use" my favorite rendering Noctilux and if it gets some wear from use all the better whereas marks on either of my original Noctilux's and my heart would change its rhythm I suspect. 

28 minutes ago, darylgo said:

Would love to hear a comparison of original and newly released. 

Will do. My gut says my Dad's lens will render differently to the new glass which uses pressed Aspherical elements along with the more modern other elements, so my suspicion is the new 1.2 will render quite similarly at 1.2 but the differences will happen as you stop down, plus I can't see the colors being the same old to new. I am hoping the new version is a hair sharper wide open and then even sharper with better contrast when stopped down which in Fabior and Wonzo's samples appears to support this. So I can't see them being the same simply because of the differences in the glass and for $7700 the new 1.2 will be a joy to "use" and not fret over. 

10 minutes ago, insideline said:

Will do. My gut says my Dad's lens will render differently to the new glass which uses pressed Aspherical elements along with the more modern other elements, so my suspicion is the new 1.2 will render quite similarly at 1.2 but the differences will happen as you stop down, plus I can't see the colors being the same old to new. I am hoping the new version is a hair sharper wide open and then even sharper with better contrast when stopped down which in Fabior and Wonzo's samples appears to support this. So I can't see them being the same simply because of the differences in the glass and for $7700 the new 1.2 will be a joy to "use" and not fret over. 

The sides might remain a bit sharper on the new 1.2, hopefully !

I shot at f1.2 extensively this past weekend and it is not an easy lens to describe, sometimes sharper than I expect (close distance) and less sharp at other times (further distance).  Chromatic aberrations are visible at times when I wouldn't expect (black objects backlit) and other times they're handled well (light sources).  Physically, compared to other Noctilux' it's a pleasure to use for it's small size.  Vignetting is as big an issue with this lens as I've ever encountered, the 6-bit coding software adjustment helps.