The 50mm f/1,2 Noctilux Image Thread

Wonzo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M10-R BP, Noctilux at f/1,7

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tightsqueez

Leica M6. Leica 50mm f1.2 Noctilux lens.  Tri-X rated at 800, developed 7:45 in XTOL stock with added Rodinal 1:100. 20 degrees Celsius. 
fabior

to

mdg1371

Wide open.

Posted Images

f/ 4,0

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

It's that time of year, and the local camera shop has a 50mm 1.2 in stock..... Thank you to everyone for posting your images. I wish it had made the decision easier - but I feel very torn and probably leaning towards passing on this lens. I like the small size, love the nocti rendering, but I also like a sharp subject when wide open (my only use case for a 1.2). Looks like the classic case of you can have 2 out of the three! At the risk of offending purists, how well does the central image respond to sympathetic sharpening in post? 

Taken yesterday with M10M, post-processed with LR Classic, no additional sharpening carried out.  (Click for higher res).

• Like 6

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Googaliser:

Another lovely shot. I don't know if it is just me - but the 'swirl' rendering of this lens gives me a bit a of a vertigo feeling. This is very personal stuff and many of you may love that look but I think it is what is making me hesitate

I find it interesting that this “swirly” rendering is so strong in some fotos that it makes me feel seasick while in other pics taken with the 50mm f1.2 it’s almost non-present. The lens looks stunning, but because of the swirling bokeh I wouldn’t buy this lens.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Knipsknecht said:

I find it interesting that this “swirly” rendering is so strong in some fotos that it makes me feel seasick while in other pics taken with the 50mm f1.2 it’s almost non-present. The lens looks stunning, but because of the swirling bokeh I wouldn’t buy this lens.

Having owned the lens, if you shoot it wide open that is the unique effect the Nocti (both the f1 and f1.2) produce. If you close it down a bit, let’s say to f2, it’s gone and renders pretty much like any other 50mm. That works well since if you want to have a swirly look, you can shoot it at f1.2, if you don’t just close it down one stop and you still get great rendering, so it’s like a 2-in-1 lens. The obvious downside is the weight / size of the noctilux VS summicron, so if you don’t like the swirly effect then just get the cron as it’s much easier to use. The main reason I didn’t keep the noctilux was the extreme distortion compared to any other Leica lens, making it unusable for anything other than portraits (if shot on a digital camera it’s corrected in camera with the lens profile, but I mainly shoot film so the distortion is very visible). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Knipsknecht said:

Exactly!!

M11.  Click for higher res.

• Like 1

Am 22.12.2022 um 00:21 schrieb shirubadanieru:

Having owned the lens, if you shoot it wide open that is the unique effect the Nocti (both the f1 and f1.2) produce. If you close it down a bit, let’s say to f2, it’s gone and renders pretty much like any other 50mm. That works well since if you want to have a swirly look, you can shoot it at f1.2, if you don’t just close it down one stop and you still get great rendering, so it’s like a 2-in-1 lens. The obvious downside is the weight / size of the noctilux VS summicron, so if you don’t like the swirly effect then just get the cron as it’s much easier to use. The main reason I didn’t keep the noctilux was the extreme distortion compared to any other Leica lens, making it unusable for anything other than portraits (if shot on a digital camera it’s corrected in camera with the lens profile, but I mainly shoot film so the distortion is very visible). 

how does 1.2 compare to 1.4 from the ASPH Summilux...?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Noct 1.2 reissue borrowed from Leica Store Wetzlar, on my M10M

• Like 3

Hever Castle.  M10R and 50mm f1.2 Noctilux.

• Like 7

And another from the same set . . .

• Like 7

Waterside trio.  (As ever, please click for higher res).

M11.

Edited by Keith (M)
  • Like 3

As my only 50mm for a year - yes, I could.  Having had it now for some three months and using it on M10M and (initially) M240 then M11 I would have no qualms from point of view of performance, capability, versatility (and surprisingly) weight.  405g -v- 335g of my Summilux ASPH.  I spent an hour & a half wandering around Malmesbury on Monday with the f1.2 on my M11 and can't say as I noticed the weight nor had any issues with VF blockage (it takes 49mm filters - unlike with the f1 v4 I had previously (630g & 60mm filters), which quickly became something of a burden.

If it is of any use, here on my Flickr page are mixed bag of results with the f1.2.

Edited by Keith (M)

50mm f1.2, M11.

• Like 4