The 50mm f/1,2 Noctilux Image Thread

Wonzo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, Wonzo said:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi Wonzo,

Thanks for these pictures.

I'm curious about the slight red edges on the left hand side of the figure, which could be (unavoidable) specular over-exposure from the highly reflective surface, or it could be an aberration such as was found in the early 0.95 Noctiluxes.  Is this something you've noticed in other pictures with very bright highlights and (if you recall) was the shutter speed maxed at 1/4000th for this shot?

Pete.

• Like 1

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tightsqueez

Leica M6. Leica 50mm f1.2 Noctilux lens.  Tri-X rated at 800, developed 7:45 in XTOL stock with added Rodinal 1:100. 20 degrees Celsius. 
fabior

to

mdg1371

Wide open.

Posted Images

My pleasure, Pete !  I forgot to mention, that some images were taken with the M10-P, others with the SL2-S. The one in question was shot with the SL2-S at 1/2500th wide open at closest possible distance of 1m. There is indeed a highly reflective surface on the figure which meets with the last sunrays in the street canyons of Berlin. This might be a specular overexposure, but I tend to see it as an aberration. In general and to my surprise I would say, that cromatic abberations are not very much visible on any of the images taken so far. And as you can see, there are a few shot into the direct sunlight. I made no corrections.  Btw, there already is a lens detection on the M10-P, but not on the SL2-S.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

More lenses is a good thing, and I tend to love old lens designs, but I'm not super-keen on what I'm seeing here, if it's ok for me to say so?

The original lens design is pre-Mandler I think? Does this lens exactly follow the old design? It feels jittery to me - the people in the first park shot almost look like they're shaking up and down?  I have the old ƒ1 Noctilux, but haven't used it for a while, and I've also owned a few Noktons. The Noctilux does a very non-nervous out-of-focus area - usually looks like broad impressionistic brushstrokes - and the Noktons tend to just soften and glow everything at widest aperture. 

So I'm not sure what's new that this lens brings? Obviously this is just to my eye! I'm no lens expert, and it's just a matter of personal taste. I just wonder what Leica are doing with this lens release?

PS: would also love to see it with some Portra instead! I have a feeling that will be much nicer!

Edited by plasticman
  • Like 1

vor 54 Minuten schrieb plasticman:

I'm not super-keen on what I'm seeing here, if it's ok for me to say so?

Every opinion is welcome!

The original lens design is pre-Mandler I think? Does this lens exactly follow the old design?

Yes, it`s pre Mandler. It`s double aspheric, completely the old design but the available, not the old glass types, as far as I`m informed.

It feels jittery to me - the people in the first park shot almost look like they're shaking up and down?

This is up to your personal impression. This shot and a few other images were taken intentionally against direct sunlight, in order to show, what this lens is able to produce or not, a challenge for an old lens shot wide open.

But this is meant to be an image thread for all. Let`s continue a discussion via pm or in another thread. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Wonzo said:

But this is meant to be an image thread for all. Let`s continue a discussion via pm or in another thread.

Absolutely! I just noticed now the title of the thread, and I didn't mean to throw water over the whole discussion - apologies for the distraction. There are plenty of other threads where members can discuss their subjective impressions of various lenses, and I should have put my point-of-view there instead!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

to

• Like 12

f/1,2 with M10-P

• Like 19

23 hours ago, fabior said:

to

Really lovely shots, thank you for continuing to add more, and please add more! May Ask if you have compared this lens output at f1.2 to say the F1 Noctilux for sharpness wide open? I am trying to understand if this lens is any sharper wide open than my E58 F1 Noctilux? Thanks!

Thank you for appreciation . Fortunately I also have the noctilux f1 first version 58mm and the f0.95. It is my intention to do some comparative tests between them both for the resolution capacity and  especially for the overall image quality. It will be my pleasure to share other images and the results of the comparisons. I believe  that images speak more than many words !! I add the same image as above  but  taken at f2. The previous one of yesterday was taken at f1.2

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

M10-D at f1.2

• Like 4

1 hour ago, fabior said:

Thank you for appreciation . Fortunately I also have the noctilux f1 first version 58mm and the f0.95. It is my intention to do some comparative tests between them both for the resolution capacity and  especially for the overall image quality. It will be my pleasure to share other images and the results of the comparisons. I believe  that images speak more than many words !! I add the same image as above  but  taken at f2. The previous one of yesterday was taken at f1.2

Thank you for your offer and I patiently await your comparison shots between the 3 lenses. E58 F1, E60 F1 and the contemporary .95 Noctilux and finally your new 1.2 Noctilux. I was shooting with my E58 f1 today and while it is almost impossible to make a comparison between my Lightroom files and your compressed down loads here, what gets my hope up is it does appear that your new 1.2 is sharp enough wide open, possibly even sharper than our E58 F1 versions and then stopped down like them all it appears to sharpen up quickly, but potentially the real clincher for me is this performance is packaged in a much smaller body than even our E58 F1 Noctilux lenses and obviously far far smaller than the .95. I await your files and thank you in advance!

• Like 1

f/1,2   SL2-S

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Wonzo said:

f/1,2   SL2-S

Thank you for sharing all of these samples shots, they are just lovely, and for me your photographs are presenting a strong supporting reason to justify my order of this lens, so I will wait in envy and enjoy the files you are sharing with the lens you so luckily received ahead of the rest of us. 

Edited by insideline
spelling
  • Like 2

vor 30 Minuten schrieb insideline:

Thank you for sharing all of these samples shots, they are just lovely, and for me your photographs are presenting a strong supporting reason to justify my order of this lens, so I will wait in envy and enjoy the files you are sharing with the lens you so luckily received ahead of the rest of us. 

Many thanks for your kind words, it is absolutely my pleasure! You will be having much fun with this wonderful lens! Hope, you`ll get it soon ...

• Like 1

I did a test in times of covid so in the house. I used the SL2 and the 5 50mm I have. Developed with lightroom and I only corrected the white balance, no other changes.

Lenses :

Noctilux f0.95

Noctilux f1 E58

Noctilux f1.2

Summilux 50mm  M pre Asph black

Summilux SL

My conclusion : they are all very  very good lenses but with some differences. Summilux Sl the most defined , noctilux  f1 the less defined but with the best out of focus, summilux M a best buy, noctilux f0.95 very defined between fast lenses , f1.2 a very good balance between all of them !!  So, nothing new !!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• Like 2

• Like 2

• Like 3