Wonzo

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tightsqueez

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica M6. Leica 50mm f1.2 Noctilux lens.  Tri-X rated at 800, developed 7:45 in XTOL stock with added Rodinal 1:100. 20 degrees Celsius. 
fabior

to

mdg1371

Wide open.

Posted Images

Mp + 50 1.2 noctilux widest open

kodak gold 200, home souped

• Like 11

M10D + noctilux f1,2 wide open + ND filter x4

• Like 17

SL2 + Noct50/1.2 @ F1.2
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Look what just arrived in the mail 😁

Will be finally able to post on this thread!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Band shooting, Noctilux 50 / 1.2 @ 1.2

• Like 7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• Like 5

• Like 5

First test shots at f1.2 and initial impressions:

• bokeh as expected is great
  • feels lighter than expected (I’m used to 200g lens)
  • CA is awful (the worst in all my lens and the shots below even after LR correction I was not able to remove purple fringing completely)
  • Distortion was auto corrected when imported, but when I turned it off…WOW there’s a lot of distortion lol good thing is that it seems to affect the corners, not so much the center of the image, which for portraits is actually good and should provide that unique Noctilux look. For general photography obviously you might want to keep that auto correction on. All shots below are with distortion auto correction off. 
  • Overall conclusion from first test drive: will probably reserve this lens for portraits only (& also looking forward to shooting actual portraits with it, looking at the examples here they look great)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, shirubadanieru said:

First test shots at f1.2 and initial impressions:

• bokeh as expected is great
  • feels lighter than expected (I’m used to 200g lens)
  • CA is awful (the worst in all my lens and the shots below even after LR correction I was not able to remove purple fringing completely)
  • Distortion was auto corrected when imported, but when I turned it off…WOW there’s a lot of distortion lol good thing is that it seems to affect the corners, not so much the center of the image, which for portraits is actually good and should provide that unique Noctilux look. For general photography obviously you might want to keep that auto correction on. All shots below are with distortion auto correction off. 
  • Overall conclusion from first test drive: will probably reserve this lens for portraits only (& also looking forward to shooting actual portraits with it, looking at the examples here they look great)

Thanks for sharing. Hope you will give it a spin with some b&w film too 😊

• Like 1

Noctilux 50mm f1.2 & Tri-X. All shot wide open. @Aryel definitely this is the best combo, I much prefer it to digital. Next I need to try it with color film. 

The CA is just too much though, on digital I can’t fully remove it so I’m wary that color film might not be the best match. On B&W though, wow…just beautiful, love the Noctilux pop, and dreamy bokeh. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

Noctilux 50mm f1.2 & Tri-X. All shot wide open. @Aryel definitely this is the best combo, I much prefer it to digital. Next I need to try it with color film. 

The CA is just too much though, on digital I can’t fully remove it so I’m wary that color film might not be the best match. On B&W though, wow…just beautiful, love the Noctilux pop, and dreamy bokeh. 

Looks very nice! Such an interesting lens. Thanks a lot for sharing. 

• Thanks 1

Two examples of this interesting lens.  The first used as a normal 50mm at f4.0 and the second wide open at f1.2.  Both taken at Anglesey Abbey.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

I wonder if people here who own the lens turn the lens correction off on Lightroom and let it be as is with distortion or always correct for that? 

This is my first Leica lens that has visible distortion, so I never had to think about this before.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but how do you turn lens correction off (and on again) in Lightroom?  I just transfer files from the SD card to my hard drive and then click the import button.  Does this mean lens correction is automatically on?

1 minute ago, T25UFO said:

Sorry if this is a silly question, but how do you turn lens correction off (and on again) in Lightroom?  I just transfer files from the SD card to my hard drive and then click the import button.  Does this mean lens correction is automatically on?

In general, Lightroom set those corrections automatically when you transfer files. You have to disable it by default in your import settings or turn it off one by one after importing. You can find an area that has lens corrections or lens profile, and there you’ll find corrections for CA (which I tend to leave on by default) and distortion (which so far it didn’t matter if it was on or off since my other lens have 0 distortion, but with the nocti the difference is quite significant so I’m wondering what users of this lens do).

• Thanks 1

I thought Profile Corrections were built into the RAW when the Leica Camera knows the lens (either by the user telling the camera what lens or the camera detecting the lens). This leads to checking the Enabling Profile Corrections box does nothing. I think you have to use a program outside of LR to see the image with the corrections "baked-in."

Would love to be proven wrong.

@shirubadanieru @T25UFO

Am 9.3.2021 um 19:05 schrieb Wonzo:

A grey day in Berlin, eventually turned colorful ...

f/1,2  M10-P

Wow! Absolut phantastische Atmosphäre, geradezu surreal anmutender Hintergrund, der wie eine im Studio aufgehängte bemalte Leinwand ausschaut...

Toll, wie das Nocti mit seinem unregelmäßigen Unschärfeverlauf diesen Effekt provoziert, Chapeau

vor 1 Stunde schrieb leicaoptik:

Wow! Absolut phantastische Atmosphäre, geradezu surreal anmutender Hintergrund, der wie eine im Studio aufgehängte bemalte Leinwand ausschaut...

Toll, wie das Nocti mit seinem unregelmäßigen Unschärfeverlauf diesen Effekt provoziert, Chapeau

Es freut mich, daß dir dieses Bild so gut gefällt, danke ! Ich finde auch, daß die Objektfreistellung mit diesem Objektiv recht gut gelingt, obwohl es bei Offenblende nicht so scharf zeichnet. Gerade bei der doch relativ großen Distanz zu den beiden Frauen hat mich der Hintergrundverlauf ebenso überrascht.

Hah - ich war noch nie in Berlin. Aber ich weiß immer noch genau, wo diese Szene ist. Die Spree in ihrer Biegung zwischen dem Reichstag (hinter dem Fotografen) und dem Marie-Elisabeth-Lüders-Haus (und Steg). Ich musste dieses markante Gebäude für meine Flugsimulator-Szenerie modellieren.

(Entschuldigung für die Google-Übersetzung.)

Edited by adan
  • Like 2