The 50mm f/1,2 Noctilux Image Thread

Wonzo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

50 Noctilux 1.2 w/ NDx4 and 1/8 Black Promist on M10M

45 minutes ago, tightsqueez said:

Leica M6. Leica 50mm f1.2 Noctilux lens. 

Tri-X rated at 800, developed 7:45 in XTOL stock with added Rodinal 1:100. 20 degrees Celsius. 

Totally the kind of photos I wished I had taken myself. 

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, leica5 said:

Hi,

"Tri-X rated at 800, developed 7:45 in XTOL stock with added Rodinal 1:100. 20 degrees Celsius. "

Do you mind sharing, how you mix( ratio) Xtol and Rodinal; is Rodinal already diluted 1:100, i am confused here.

thank, 

SAM

Yes, just mix the two. For example, if I’m developing two rolls in a stainless steel tank, I’ll need 500 ml total to cover the film. Which in that case would require 500 ml stock XTOL (no dilution) and then add 5 ml of Rodinal straight out of the bottle. For every 100 ml XTOL I use, I add 1 ml. Think of XTOL being your “water.” 

XTOL stock has a nice smoothness to it and by adding a shot of Rodinal it gives the image a little bite. 

Hope that helps. 

• 3 weeks later...

Leica M10-D + noctilux f1,2 new, wide open

• 2 weeks later...

M10-R | Wide open @ 1.2 | ISO 100

• 2 weeks later...

As someone that appreciates the perfection of modern APO lenses for some subjects (eg, landscapes, architecture), I am equally starting to feel that the "look" is getting a bit boring and even unsuitable for other subjects.  Hence why I am curious about this 1.2 Noctilux. 

I can appreciate the beauty of the images here that are less technically perfect, much less in-your-face sharp, and hence what I'm hoping to find is a lens that is better at mimicking -- on digital -- a look that is more reminiscent of the gentler rendering that I partly enjoy about film?

But with the Nocti 1.2, something isn't clear to me, and there don't seem to many images in this thread to show it ....say for a head-and-shoulder Portrait, what is the look wide open? .....if the eye is in the center of the frame, is the "look" more similar to the gentler rendering I associate with film (lower contrast and much lower acuity than modern lenses, but still showing lots of fine detail)?  Or is the overwhelming look more just one of being blurred and out-of-focus (which is different to the cinematic softness that I'd be seeking, if that makes sense)?     

Edited by Jon Warwick