Review: The New Leica APO-Summicron-M 35mm F2 ASPH.

jonoslack

46 minutes ago, elmars said:

And purple fringing. Look for lens corrections in the develop module.

I am aware that I can correct those in various PP applications. I just did not know what you were referring to, since you did not quote what your post was in reference to. That is what the quote facility is for. I don't use Lightroom but Capture One instead. 

Wilson

• 4 weeks later...

The though of the long frustrating wait for this lens made me go for the Voigtlander version.

So far the size and cutoff are not too bothersome. It still fits in my pouches, somewhat similar in size to the 75mm Summicron, but a lot lighter.

Maybe I will go for the smaller lens in a year, or maybe I will be happy to have saved a fortune … that may be needed for a M11.

I can’t help but feel Leica released early to divert attention away from Voigtlander, in doing so production ramp-up was not in place.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 hours ago, FrozenInTime said:

Das lange frustrierende Warten auf dieses Objektiv hat mich dazu bewogen, mich für die Voigtländer Version zu entscheiden.

Bisher sind Größe und Cutoff nicht allzu störend. Es passt immer noch in meine Taschen, ähnlich groß wie das 75mm Summicron, aber viel leichter.

Vielleicht greife ich in einem Jahr zu dem kleineren Objektiv, oder vielleicht bin ich froh, ein Vermögen gespart zu haben … das braucht man vielleicht für eine M11.

Ich kann nicht anders, als das Gefühl, dass Leica vorzeitig entlassen wurde, um die Aufmerksamkeit von Voigtländer abzulenken, da ein Produktionshochlauf nicht vorhanden war.

That's what I did.

• 2 weeks later...

I can recommend to wait on it, it´s the best lense i own since the 50mm APO!

All images are SOC M10-R + 35mm APO

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

On 7/2/2021 at 12:09 AM, TrickyMrT said:

I can recommend to wait on it, it´s the best lense i own since the 50mm APO!

All images are SOC M10-R + 35mm APO

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Impressive close focus

but the pasta needs a sauce 😋

1 hour ago, farnz said:

It looks to me like it's Spaghetti Aglio Olio so it has an olive oil and garlic sauce. 😋

Pete.

the impressive close focus tells me the dry cheese, pasta and rocket  needs MOAR aglio olio pronto!

Edited by hillavoider
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Would love to see if anyone has set the 35 apo at f8 or f11 with a layered composition so we can really see the edge to edge sharpness. I think this lens is in my future!

Tobin :)

EDIT:Just saw pictures at the front page of the thread. They are awesome. Thank you for posting!

Edited by LeicaTobin
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I do wonder if peter karbe constantly stressing the need to use a modern lens wide open is because at F8 and beyond they are no better than lenses made 40 years ago? 

3 minutes ago, steve 1959 said:

I do wonder if peter karbe constantly stressing the need to use a modern lens wide open is because at F8 and beyond they are no better than lenses made 40 years ago? 

Possibly true, but what you are spending a lot of money on is performance at f2, and he wants you to get best value for money and appreciate what you have.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, pedaes said:

Possibly true, but what you are spending a lot of money on is performance at f2, and he wants you to get best value for money and appreciate what you have.

Its a funny thing though because some like the softer wide open look of some older designs.

In fairness to leica the classic remake concept allows both options for wide open performance.

9 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

Its a funny thing though because some like the softer wide open look of some older designs.

In fairness to leica the classic remake concept allows both options for wide open performance.

.....or you can buy a second hand lens and save a lot of money. Two of my favourite lenses are the late 1930's designed (Max Berek) 85mm f1.5 Summarex and the 50mm/f.5 Summarit, whose original design (Horace Lee) dates from 1930, although with one big and one small update. Both of these lenses suffer from quite a lot of spherical aberration/coma once away from the centre of the image but this gives rise to their very attractive swirly bokeh, especially the Summarit. I paid around £1,000 each for lovely examples of both, with almost wholly undamaged coating (unusual) but both still needed a professional spring clean. 

Wilson

11 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

HI There Steve

I don't think so - I think that the modern APO lenses have more contrast, but less aberrations makes them feel 'gentler' even when they show more detail. Older lenses stopped down look amazingly sharp, but to me they feel a bit 'crunchy' whereas modern lenses don't. . . . 

• Like 4