Review: The New Leica APO-Summicron-M 35mm F2 ASPH.

jonoslack

• Leon_B. changed the title to Review: The New Leica APO-Summicron-M 35mm F2 ASPH.
  • LUF Admin pinned this topic

Nice write up and even better images as usual. Thanks. Although I'm a great Leica customer my wife is going to kill me when she sees the shipping confirmation come through to her email (we share PayPal). haha. Leica needs to start giving me vacation points so that I have a better excuse. :  )

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

19 hours ago, jonoslack said:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Odd 'zebra' pattern in the flare in these two photos, Jono. An artefact of the APO correction or some other phenomenon?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The game changer with this lens is the the .3M minimum focus. My 21mm f4.0 Super Angulon has a minimum focus of 12" which is very close to .3M. I've never understood why Leica didn't at least make that minimum focus part of the 21mm package. They made a 21mm f2.8 Elmarit pre-production that was 12" but it got dropped in production models. Anyway with LV on M's these days it would be great to have it more generally available. Thanks for your initial thoughts on the lens and your photographs.

• Like 1

Dear Jono, at the risk of appearing pedantic, and I feel sure that you will have cleared your article with Leica's Marketing Department, I disagree that the term "APO" as used by Leica, and others, can be equated with the term "Apochromatic".

This is an old topic on this Forum but it does tend to get some people's blood pressure up.

"Apochromatic" is a long established technical term which means that the optical system in question brings three different wavelengths into focus on the same plane.  NB The images are not necessarily the same size!

This has many benefits in some situations and Leica first used it on a commercially available photographic lens with the 180mm f/3.4 Apo-Telyt-R in 1975.  This legendary lens was a true Apochromat with a near IR wavelength brought to the same focus as two wavelengths in the visible spectrum.  It was initially developed as a special purpose lens by the US Navy, Leica and Eastman Kodak for reconnaissance purposed.  At f/5.6 it was unsurpassed.

The problem is that for unavoidable technical reasons bringing three wavelengths to the same focus means that the uncorrected wavelengths have a tendency to be quite a lot out of focus. (It's all to do with inflexion points in the solution of a third order equation.)

More recently manufacturers including in particular Leica and Zeiss have started to produce photographic lenses which they call "APO".  It may be that some of them are Apochromatic but the term has been more widely used to describe photographic lenses with a very high degree of chromatic correction that minimises the deviation from the focal plane of a wide range of wavelengths without actually bringing a third wavelengths to the same focus as the normal two wavelengths.  This can be shown to have significant advantages.  Erwin Puts, and others, have published articles about this and demonstrated the effect with actual measurements.  (The Zeiss OPUS lenses are definitely not apochromatic but they are very good.)

Does it matter?  To me it does as I would prefer to use a modern APO lens rather than an any true apochromat.             

Edited by Peter Branch
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

vor 21 Stunden schrieb jonoslack:

Now we have the fourth Apochromatic M lens (after the 90, 75 and 50 Summicron lenses).

It is actually the fifth. Don't forget the Apo-Telyt-M 3.4/135mm, which in fact may have been the first Apo-M lens (I am not quite sure when it was introduced).

Andy

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, delta100 said:

My fear is that Leica Germany will shut down sales in the UK and sell only in Europe on all its photographic equipment. Leica Mayfair are only selling in stock items, who knows when more orders will arrive from Germany?

Leica Mayfair (and others) are taking pre orders. I don't understand your fears.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wizard said:

It is actually the fifth. Don't forget the Apo-Telyt-M 3.4/135mm, which in fact may have been the first Apo-M lens (I am not quite sure when it was introduced).

Andy

The 135mm f/3.4 Apo-Telyt-M was introduced in 1998.  Still one of the very best M lenses.

Edited by Peter Branch
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, colonel said:

using the forum for the write up and not a link to your site 😮 thats faith :D

Hah - faith in the forum? It always makes it easier for a discussion here, and as I don't have any click - throughs or ads on my website it doesn't make any absolute difference to me!

Andreas and Leon do a great job here, so it's a little bit of support

• Like 8

2 hours ago, tgray said:

Very nice photos!  A couple of the B&W images have some nasty compression artifacts/posterization in the sky here on the forum.  Looks like they are better on Jono's site.

I'm trying to get to the bottom of this - I think it might be the new M1 version of Lightroom being slow to add adjustments, but I'm not sure.

Definitely my bad though!

2 hours ago, Knipsknecht said:

I like the pink tractor🤩👍! Other than that - another extremely sharp lens. But there are already a lot of sharp lenses out there for the M-System. 

Of course you're right, but I don't think it's just about the sharpness - it's about the 'look', and that's a function of the transition from in to out of focus, and the bokeh. 

I'm glad you like the pink tractor - it's an annual event around here and so far they've raised £750,000 for breast cancer research. It's a 25 mile run with about 150 tractors, mostly vintage, and all driven by ladies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1