The Leica APO-Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH - First Impressions

Steven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sneaky 35APO shot - Kodak Vision 3 200T

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Same as above

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Same as above

• Like 3

First hard frost of the winter, just starting to melt in today's sunshine. 35 APO and M10-R. 

Wilson

• Like 1

It is a cool little lens

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Kodak Vision 3 + 35APO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SiggiGun said:

>Do you now the lens again? I am very happy with it. especially in combination with the 75apo.

If the question is addressed to me, yes, I own it again. I don't like it or use it on digital. It's too clean. But I do like the way it renders on film, especially on BW film. It's probably not reasonable for me to own such an expensive lens for so little use, but I think it will hold its value throughout 2022, so I have time to see how much I use it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Steven said:

It's probably not reasonable for me to own such an expensive lens for so little use, but I think it will hold its value throughout 2022, so I have time to see how much I use it. 

Just curious, Steven, since you regularly buy/sell Leica gear, do you typically sell on your own or sell/trade through dealers?  In the US, any dealer transaction will typically net only 70-80% of market value, even if mint.

Jeff

22 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Just curious, Steven, since you regularly buy/sell Leica gear, do you typically sell on your own or sell/trade through dealers?  In the US, any dealer transaction will typically net only 70-80% of market value, even if mint.

Jeff

I usually don't sell for cash. I have developed a friendship with a famous eBay dealer that I send the gear I don't want for trade credit. Even if I don't need anything at the moment, I leave my credit open with him for when I want stuff. He has everything you can imagine, new/modern, or old/classics. 

Sometimes, I send my stuff to another dealer friend in Asia, who can move expensive items fast. And since the prices are higher there, I never really lose money. 

I'm not saying I come out of my constant buying/selling with a profit. I probably lost quite a lot of money these past years. But there's a cost to the journey. And hobbies are never free. I'm just grateful I don't like old cars, or boats. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Photojournoguy said:

Long time listener, first time caller. Literally, first day with an M or any Leica for that matter. Excited to be part of the community (not just as a lurker), and hope to fall in love with the M system and monochrom process specifically. Fun and different day than I’m used to with a camera.

Bought this lens to start as a one body/one lens kit for near future (years) to really know the in’s and out’s and stay in the 35 focal length until it’s a part of how I see. And if I fall in love with the M as much as I’m hoping, add a color body further down the line.

Two candid shots I thought were interesting/encouraging from Day 1 in playing with a couch fort (first is uncropped, second is very minimally so). Sure it’ll take time to figure out how best to process monochrom files (in case different from my past color conversion-ing) but reading and watching all I can on it.

M10M x 35 APO

Welcome to the community! I too own the M10 Monochrom and I'd just like to say given this was your fist day with a Leica Rangefinder and then a Monochrom, and last with the new 35 APO lens, that the two shots you shared are simply wonderful in many ways. Great contrast, use of light and shapes and as good as any posted here on the forum. While the cost of entry now is bordering on insane, the quality of the two pieces you chose should in fact last you many many years, and in the case of the 35 APO for your lifetime if you so choose, which if I can provide any advice at all it would be to hang on to these two pieces for as long as you can, or better yet for ever. I still own the F1 Noctilux I purchased right out of high school in 1975 and the pictures I have saved which were taken with that lens capture my entire adult life and in quite a neat fashion, and had I not kept and used it all these years I would be without so many wonderful memories. Again, welcome to the Leica community and may you enjoy thousands more wonderful photographs taken with your new amazing tools. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, insideline said:

Welcome to the community! I too own the M10 Monochrom and I'd just like to say given this was your fist day with a Leica Rangefinder and then a Monochrom, and last with the new 35 APO lens, that the two shots you shared are simply wonderful in many ways. Great contrast, use of light and shapes and as good as any posted here on the forum. While the cost of entry now is bordering on insane, the quality of the two pieces you chose should in fact last you many many years, and in the case of the 35 APO for your lifetime if you so choose, which if I can provide any advice at all it would be to hang on to these two pieces for as long as you can, or better yet for ever. I still own the F1 Noctilux I purchased right out of high school in 1975 and the pictures I have saved which were taken with that lens capture my entire adult life and in quite a neat fashion, and had I not kept and used it all these years I would be without so many wonderful memories. Again, welcome to the Leica community and may you enjoy thousands more wonderful photographs taken with your new amazing tools. 

Wow thank you for the very warm and generous welcome!!

And I wholeheartedly agree with your perspective, thank you for sharing your story. In saying the coming years, I really meant this as my “ride or die” kit I hope to never outgrow. I love your idea of long-term consistency, and that certainly appealed to me in my decision making (and buying it with a very young family/little kids in mind). Figured if I have a one lens kit, go for the best and also a two-lens-in-one versatility with the MFD.

If I’ve learned one thing as a long-time lurker, it’s to hold onto at the very least lenses, and this one is staying put no doubt.

I’m a “buy once, cry once” guy with things I value most such as photography, but I admit even this investment made me wince a bit, especially for a mono body. But given my love for the medium, I have to at least give it a go and if I let it go, at least I was exposed to it. But I can’t imagine that honestly. And of course if I don’t buy now (already saw the April increase come and go when I didn’t have funds readily available), the cost is only going in ONE direction.

Look forward to my journey and continuing to learn from everyone here, but now as a participant.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Steven said:

The M10M is the only digital camera on which I enjoy the 35 APO. It makes for an incredibly versatile combo. Great purchase. Welcome and congrats. 

I’ve lurked and enjoyed watching your journey with this lens and the body in its own across your threads (meant in a NOT creepy way), beautiful work and thank you for the kind words.

Any input you or anyone else have along the way on my work and journey, I fully embrace it!

• Thanks 1

Princess awakens.

• Like 10