The Leica APO-Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH - First Impressions

Steven

8 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

So, logically, you should hate it more than the 35 FLE.🤔🤪

Jeff

Actually, logically, I like it much more that the 35FLE. But logically, if I had to chose one of these two lens to bring to a deserted island on which I had to live until the end of my days, I would probably bring the FLE with me. 

EDIT: on a deserted island, all things considered, I'd take the APO with me, but just so that I could use the MFD to take photos of little exotic bugs and plants. But if I lived with only one lens in Paris, I'd chose the FLE over the APO. Logically. 

Edited by Steven
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steven said:

Actually, logically, I like it much more that the 35FLE. But logically, if I had to chose one of these two lens to bring to a deserted island on which I had to live until the end of my days, I would probably bring the FLE with me. 

Although you’ll have to buy the FLE again to be sure.

Jeff

Just now, Jeff S said:

Although you’ll have to buy the FLE again to be sure.

Jeff

Unfortunately and to my biggest horror every time I walk into my living room, I have a 35FLE on my shelf. It's the only lens from shelf that is not allowed to leave the house. It's punished. For being ugly. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Steven said:

A portrait of Alan Schaller and his legendary M10M, while having a beer earlier tonight in Paris. SL2S SOOC. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Forgive me, I accidentally posted this photo in this thread. It was shot with a 35AA and I meant to post it in another tab that I had opened on my browser. Too late to delete, sorry. Ignore it. Or enjoy it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steven said:

Unfortunately and to my biggest horror every time I walk into my living room, I have a 35FLE on my shelf. It's the only lens from shelf that is not allowed to leave the house. It's punished. For being ugly. 

Maybe you should challenge yourself to make a frame worthy print from it and place that on the shelf in front as a pleasant reminder. 

Jeff 

2 hours ago, Steven said:

Challenge accepted. To make it even harder, I'll try to get it with the lens wide open, where I dislike it the most. See you in 48 hours. 

Having struggled a lot with this lens (or maybe it's the focal length 🤔) i find the only images I really like with it are at f1.4...

6 minutes ago, JimmyCheng said:

has any of you run into the issue where the focus patch stops working with this lens? I checked the lens and seems there's a piece of plastic which only moves when the lens focuses beyond 3 meters. I'll try to post a video here, see if it is normal.

https://youtu.be/-C6kZuIWD8I

I don't have the lens, but from all I have read here, the rangefinder mechanism does not work at close focus with M bodies - no M body can focus that close. If you want accurate focus at <0.7m you must use liveview. 

The focus cam-follower wheel (the little wheel inside the mount) can only move outwards to a distance corresponding to 0.7m.  

8 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I don't have the lens, but from all I have read here, the rangefinder mechanism does not work at close focus with M bodies - no M body can focus that close. If you want accurate focus at <0.7m you must use liveview. 

The focus cam-follower wheel (the little wheel inside the mount) can only move outwards to a distance corresponding to 0.7m.  

yeah I know. The thing is, it's not moving even in between 0.7-3meters (focus patch not moving either), so I assume it's broken?

vor 41 Minuten schrieb JimmyCheng:

has any of you run into the issue where the focus patch stops working with this lens? I checked the lens and seems there's a piece of plastic which only moves when the lens focuses beyond 3 meters. I'll try to post a video here, see if it is normal.

https://youtu.be/-C6kZuIWD8I

The part should move back and forth evenly, as is known from other or older lenses with similar mechanisms. This does not look normal. -  Thorsten

29 minutes ago, JimmyCheng said:

yeah I know. The thing is, it's not moving even in between 0.7-3meters (focus patch not moving either), so I assume it's broken?

Not sure to see the issue. The patch follows the roller cam which does not go closer than 0.7m. So the patch should remain stuck at 0.7m when you focus at 0.3m. Does the same with M lenses focusing town to 0.5 or 0.4m. Just a guess though as i have no experience with the 35/2 apo.

17 minutes ago, lct said:

Not sure to see the issue. The patch follows the roller cam which does not go closer than 0.7m. So the patch should remain stuck at 0.7m when you focus at 0.3m. Does the same with M lenses focusing town to 0.5 or 0.4m. Just a guess though as i have no experience with the 35/2 apo.

maybe I didn't clarify it clear enough, I meant 0.7m to 3.0m, anything in between still does not move the focus patch. To be more specific, it works when I go form 0.7 to inf. but when rotating it back, it stuck at about 3m. I took the lens out and had a check and found that the piece of plastic sort of got stuck there, but you can actually push it in with a pen.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JimmyCheng said:

maybe I didn't clarify it clear enough, I meant 0.7m to 3.0m, anything in between still does not move the focus patch. To be more specific, it works when I go form 0.7 to inf. but when rotating it back, it stuck at about 3m. I took the lens out and had a check and found that the piece of plastic sort of got stuck there, but you can actually push it in with a pen.

It should not indeed.