The Leica APO-Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH - First Impressions

Steven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, 

I know there are already a couple 35 APO M threads, but they all initiated from rumours, and are a bit all over the place. I suggest we create a new thread here to consolidate now that the lens is real and for actual users to share their first impressions? 

I have the lens in my hands now but I promised my dealer that I would not share any pictures of it or from it until tomorrow 3PM, when it will be officially announced. I will do so tomorrow when the embargo is lifted. 

In the meantime, I can confirm a few facts to you: 

- it exists

- it will be released tomorrow. Limited quantities at first, only 5 in France in March. 

- I paid precisely 7450 euros for the lens

- it is black and compact 

- it is the first lens, to my knowledge, to have a minimum focus distance of 30cm ! 

See you tomorrow. 

Stev

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

35/2 APO M - this sounds like a strong contender for the title of Leica M Holy Grail Lens.

€7450 or $8994 (based on today's exchange rate) is not out of line, considering the price of the M 50/2 APO; perfection is not to be had on the cheap. 

It's still a breath taking price for most of us and it's sure to cause even more blind rage to boil over in the bowels of the Leica haters.

@Steven - congratulations, you are most fortunate to have this rare bird winging its way to you.  Looking forward to pictures, both of and made with the lens.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jakontil said:

Wow that 30cm is very tempting, but mostly i use my RF which limited to 70cm minimum focus distance :(

Comes in handy in live view, especially for still subjects such a plant or food, or for details, such as a hand, an eye, etc... 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Steven said:

Comes in handy in live view, especially for still subjects such a plant or food, or for details, such as a hand, an eye, etc... 

I couldnt agree more, its just something i had to get used too with LV, besides i shoot film mostly 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 minutes ago, Gelatino said:

one of the five first lenses in Paris, remain  four.

One of the first five in France, remain 0 I think.. Sorry mate, seemed it was the last but try anyway. I would recommend the Beaumarchais store which is the main one. 

Or maybe I won't like it and sell mine in one week! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Steven said:

I have the lens in my hands now..

- it is black and compact 

Well, remove it from your hands and put it on your camera..

I don't want to sound too direct, but .. how long is it? 😀

• Like 1

Khm, the lens.

I'm in the market for a second 35mm, one Summilux 35mm is definitely not enough for someone who sees the world in 35mm.. was thinking to buy a new silver Sumicron 35mm but this one got my attention too now..

21 minutes ago, junix said:

Khm, the lens.

I'm in the market for a second 35mm, one Summilux 35mm is definitely not enough for someone who sees the world in 35mm.. was thinking to buy a new silver Sumicron 35mm but this one got my attention too now..

Which summilux you have ? 

1 minute ago, sebben said:

What happens when you focus closer than 0.7m? Does it still have a hard stop at 0.7m?

There is a strong haptic feedback. When you're in live view all you need to do if continue turning stronger. I'll try to post a quick video soon.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, junix said:

you could have said the FLE and save me 5 minutes 😂 

I would not add an APO to complement an FLE. I am actually replacing my (pre) FLE by the APO. To complement an FLE, I think a pre asph suits quite well. Just a thought. 

3 minutes ago, Steven said:

There is a strong haptic feedback. When you're in live view all you need to do if continue turning stronger. I'll try to post a quick video soon.

First of all thanks for the info!

Are you under any sort of NDA, or can you post a picture of the lens? If that's not possible, can you comment on the size of it (particularly length) compared to the current Summicron? I'm interested to see how they achieved such close focusing distance without a long barrel. Maybe floating elements and internal focusing, or maybe that plus a slight elongation of the barrel.

Edited by giannis
typo

I have several 35: 

- two nokton classic MC (one black on silver limited edition)

- a Summicron v4 silver 

- a pre fle silver 

- a steel rim pre asph v1

- an APO 35 M

I think the V4 will go. Cant justify having two crons. I'm also thinking about getting rid of the fle as I've found it bigger and bigger, and been using the steel rim more and more. I have the Noktons for when I want a more modern look. It also turns out that the nokton is the M lens that works the best with the sony bodies. 

1 minute ago, giannis said:

First of all thanks for the info!

Are you under any sort of NDA, or can you post a picture of the lens? If that's not possible, can you comment on the size of it (particularly length) compared to the current Summicron? I'm interested to see how they achieved such close focusing distance without a long barrel. Maybe floating elements and internal focusing, or maybe that plus a slight elongation of the barrel.

No NDA but I gave my word to the person who sold it to me that'd I'd post nothing until tomorrow. I intend to respect my word. I didn't say what time tomorrow though. Let's see if im still awake past midnight. But I'm jet lagged. 

It's not as short as the cron. It's not as long as the Lux. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jeff S said:

And another likely thread from Jono.  And another based on a compilation of reviews.  And probably one from Andreas with the press release.  And more comparing it to current lenses.  And...

Jeff

🥶 the dark side of Internet forums

Edited by Steven
  • Haha 1