The Leica APO-Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH - First Impressions

Steven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just went for a walk outside with the lens. I'm not sure yet in which circumstances I would ever chose this over my 35AA to go out to take photos. At F2, both lenses are tack sharp. But at F1.4, only the 35AA creates a nice mood and saves my a** when the sun goes down. There isn't even a size advantage. The memory of why I returned the 35 APO the first time around are coming back very vividly in my head. 

I too prefer the rendering of the 50 Summilux ASPH to the 50 APO Summicron, but I also love the 35 APO Summicron (I also love 35 Summilux FLE ASPH and the classic 35 Summicron v. IV "The king of bokeh"). Folks, we have personal preferences - you like that, I like this - that's just the way it is :D There is no best lens, or best camera, we like different things. And that's good I think :) Enjoy the cameras and lenses you got! Life is short.

2 hours ago, Steven said:

Just went for a walk outside with the lens. I'm not sure yet in which circumstances I would ever chose this over my 35AA to go out to take photos. At F2, both lenses are tack sharp. But at F1.4, only the 35AA creates a nice mood and saves my a** when the sun goes down. There isn't even a size advantage. The memory of why I returned the 35 APO the first time around are coming back very vividly in my head. 

Not sure about saved asses, but not so many of us has an option of a 35 AA!

1 hour ago, Steven said:

But you could get two 35 pre fle, also known as the poor man’s 35AA, for the price of one APO  😉 

Not if it is a chrome/brass one. The late chrome/brass 35 ASPH Summiluxes are currently fetching over £4,000. I am wondering whether to sell mine now I have the 35 APO. I don't often use it due to the weight. Mine is from the final batch made in September 2006 and I then had it coded in Solms in 2007. I left strict instructions to do nothing other than mill the slots in the mount, as it has the perfect tiny amount of static front focus, well within the f1,4 DOF but this is enough to compensate for the very modest amount of aperture shift it has. However I nearly always regret selling Leica stuff afterwards, so I will probably hang onto it. 

Wilson

14 hours ago, Steven said:

I was offered a brand new 35APO at retail price this morning, and for some very illogical reason I can’t explain, I said yes 😆 so it’s coming back home… for a bit at least …

You should have just kept the original one in the first place  😄

Part of the reason why I got it again is because the first time I tested extensively on digital, where I found the rendering so “clean” that I found in characterless. I de shoot one roll of Bw film with it and found the 35mm rendering to be quite incredible and unique with the lens. Unlike anything I ever had. 

Fast forward 7 month later, I now shoot 85% of my film and bought a camera where my silver lenses don’t match. So the idea of using that (black) lens again on film was not so illogical after all. 

There you got. It’s not GAS! 

4 hours ago, MarkP said:

You should have just kept the original one in the first place  😄

well, I used that money to try other lenses in the meantime, and due to the demand there is on this lens, like the first time around, I could probably get rid of it with no loss. 

A portrait of Alan Schaller and his legendary M10M, while having a beer earlier tonight in Paris. SL2S SOOC. 

Edited by Steven