The Leica APO-Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH - First Impressions

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 10/1/2021 at 1:17 AM, Tortuga said:

I would have thought that the same would apply to the APO lens. Do you find that it has a gentler focus falloff?

There's a difference between falloff and cutout 🙂

Edited by MarkP
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Or, take a workshop........ I've been making my living at producing images in photography and film for many decades, long enough to know just how to make an indifferent shot work perhaps and to please a client or myself, or both along the way.....BUT there's always room to learn from others be it in books or taking workshops that can help shove you out of the creative mire that's all to easy to sink into irrespective of how long you've been doing the dance. So yes Jeff, well pointed out.

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

No idea Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Posted Images

23 hours ago, Jeff S said:

I prefer the rendering of the 50 Summilux M ASPH to the 50 M APO, and feel that the 35 Summilux FLE makes a good partner (along with the 28 Summicron ASPH), the same two lenses that Mark compared, but with a different conclusion. Many variables to consider… lighting, subject matter/distance/aperture, editing/display choices… and of course personal tastes (and possibly sample variation).

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

it is indeed so much influenced by personal preference, subject and conditions. 
I agree re the 50 Summilux c/w the APO-50 (which I use more for landscape, architectural, etc). 50 Summilux M ASPH and 28 Summicron ASPH pair beautifully, and have been very much my main go-to two lenses. However, I still felt that the 35 FLE never quite imaged sympathetically with these two lenses.

Regards,
Mark

Over the last 2 years my favored lens combo was the 28Cron and the Apo50m. On the other side, if I take a look in the "must used lens" in the pass, I was/is the 35lux. 

3 days ago I received "my" Apo35M. I live it! So small, so good. 

Will see, if my new combo will be the Apo35M only option or if I put also the Apo75m in the bag. 

Amazing time! 

5 hours ago, SiggiGun said:

Over the last 2 years my favored lens combo was the 28Cron and the Apo50m. On the other side, if I take a look in the "must used lens" in the pass, I was/is the 35lux. 

Will see, if my new combo will be the Apo35M only option or if I put also the Apo75m in the bag. 

Amazing time! 

Keep us posted if you still love it after the honeymoon. 
As soon as we came back from Polynesia, I stopped loving it. 

Test it with Leica SL2 yesterday. I think this is the best lens i've ever used. I also take a photo of my friends with a sun behind him, and push the shadows to expose the face, and the color is still excellent!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 23 Stunden schrieb SiggiGun:

Amazing time! 

Didn’t use any other lens since I got mine. The performamce is pretty addictive.

On 10/2/2021 at 7:44 PM, SiggiGun said:

Amazing time! 

Lucky you.

Did you get it from from a Leica shop in Paris?

26 minutes ago, Steven said:

I’d rather say it’s curiosity …

Lots of curious people don’t feel compelled to buy gear.. again…and again.  Hence ‘gear acquisition’ syndrome.  You said it was ‘illogical’.

Jeff

20 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Lots of curious people don’t feel compelled to buy gear.. again…and again.  Hence ‘gear acquisition’ syndrome.  You said it was ‘illogical’.

Jeff

Ok fine. GAS it is. 

First minutes with the lens brought me back the first impressions of last March. I just mounted a mini SL 35 APO on my SL2S. At the cost of AF.... 

10 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

And weather sealing.  And price. And a bit of IQ, at least technically. Focus magnification control options are also less flexible compared to native lenses.

Jeff

Party pooper !