The Leica APO-Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH - First Impressions

Steven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 23 Stunden schrieb Phatcat:

Are you just shooting your watch or is it a product shot for Grand Seiko? Very nicely done. 

Thank you very much! It’s just my watch on my desk. No affiliation with Grand Seiko at all but much love for this watch of course—and for the new lens. 😁

On 7/26/2021 at 7:49 AM, T25UFO said:

I hesitate to ask but as we move towards end July, have you received your 35mm APO yet?  

For those trying to gauge arrival, I just received mine yesterday from Leica Boston.  Got on the list in March.

• Thanks 1

I was shooting at a local polo club match with my M10-R and APO Summicron 35mm. I was pleasantly surprised by the details and micro-contrast of the new lens. The M10-R resolutions allows post-processing "zooming" with excellent results.

When I saw the horses nose-to-nose, t grabbed this quick shot. As I approached them for a closer shot, they move away from each other and so the moment was lost. Fortunately the M10-R and APO Summicron 35 combo allowed me to produce a nice image from a very tight crop. The images were processed in Capture One Pro 21.

Here is the original image and a tight crop as an example.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, budjames said:

I was shooting at a local polo club match with my M10-R and APO Summicron 35mm. I was pleasantly surprised by the details and micro-contrast of the new lens. The M10-R resolutions allows post-processing "zooming" with excellent results.

When I saw the horses nose-to-nose, t grabbed this quick shot. As I approached them for a closer shot, they move away from each other and so the moment was lost. Fortunately the M10-R and APO Summicron 35 combo allowed me to produce a nice image from a very tight crop. The images were processed in Capture One Pro 21.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto

Nice. I think I like better the I cropped version though, regardless of IQ! 

Very interesting as someone who’s often got the “wrong” lens mounted (usually the 28 Cron v2) if using only one body. I’m wondering how much of the “croppability” is down to the lens quality vs the sensor resolution...it would be interesting to compare a regular 35 cron ASPH v2 on the M10-R against the APO in this regard.

I also prefer the crop though might have left it a bit looser. Anyway lovely ponies (not horses if one ever wants to remain totally pukka at The Guards Club old bean 🧐)

Edited by NigelG

Nigel,

if my 35 APO ever arrives (another estimated delivery date missed last week - the fifth time this has happened), I could do a comparison with a really good ASPH Summilux and the 35 APO on the M10-R. A really good 35 Summilux was supposed to be slightly better than the ASPH Summicron (which I have sold) at f2. Albeit my 35 ASPH Summilux, being a chrome/brass lens, is a whole lot heavier, which I why I subsequently bought the 35 Summicron for single lens trips. 

Wilson

PS If a polo pony is over 14.2 hands (put up with horse riding daughter for 35 years), does it become a polo horse or just an honorary pony? 

Edited by wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

AFAIK it’s always a pony regardless of hands, but anyway a “tall horse” is maybe not the best animal for polo...

Apologies to Bud if my post sounded snarky in any way - it was really not meant to be and was meant very much tongue-in-cheek as a reminder of the pomposity of us Brits sometimes  (picking up on the British class obsession with “good form” and the use of certain vocabulary as a status indicator/betrayer - ie the difference between U and non-U if one was to get all “Mitfordian”)

To put things back on track - I would still like to see a comparison. I have kept a 35 Lux FLE although it’s not really my favourite focal length because, to use a term I hate - it “renders very cinematically”. My personal impression was that the latest Summicron ASPH v2 I had was as sharp (and maybe better in the corners) but I only wanted to keep one.

Nigel,

mine was a 35 ASPH Summicron V1 and maybe not one in the top half of the draw. I bought it from a French dealer where I had a credit balance. I heard from a US friend who had a large credit balance at his local photo dealer but when he went down to order the latest Canon Pro Full Frame DSLR, with his balance, he found to his horror a foreclosure notice on the door and became just one of the many unsecured creditors. He will be lucky to see any money and then only many years later, as the receivers, lawyers and tax authorities, in my experience, hoover up any spare cash in these circumstances. I thought it was wise therefore, to use up my credit and phoned the next day to see what they had. They had an ex-display but unused 35 ASPH Summicron at around 15% off list, so we came to a deal on that by my adding a small amount of cash to my balance. It did not focus well at all so had to go straight back to Wetzlar for warranty adjustment, as it was nominally a new lens purchase, being unregistered. 

Wilson

On 8/26/2021 at 10:59 AM, NigelG said:

Very interesting as someone who’s often got the “wrong” lens mounted (usually the 28 Cron v2) if using only one body. I’m wondering how much of the “croppability” is down to the lens quality vs the sensor resolution...it would be interesting to compare a regular 35 cron ASPH v2 on the M10-R against the APO in this regard.

I also prefer the crop though might have left it a bit looser. Anyway lovely ponies (not horses if one ever wants to remain totally pukka at The Guards Club old bean 🧐)

I own the Summilux 35mm ASPH FLE too. It's a great lens. The APO Summicron 35mm is sharper wide open and all the way to the corners and better all around then the Summilux. That said, the Summilux is awesome and I use it. However, the APO Summicron 35mm has become my "standard" lens for daily and travel use. The small size and compact lens hood makes it smaller than the Summicron 35mm ASPH that it replaced in my kit. I sold the Summicron 35mm to my Leica store in SoHo, NYC, as the APO Summicron 35mm is a superior lens.

Regards,
Bud James

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 10:17 AM, Steven said:

Nice. I think I like better the I cropped version though, regardless of IQ! 

For laughs, I printed the equivalent of a 16" x 20" print of the cropped version. Amazingly, it holds the detail and microcontrast even when enlarged. I'm a very happy guy!

Regards,
Bud James

Edited by budjames

7 hours ago, Ktsa5239 said:

I just got told that my APO35 has arrived Sydney Australia and its on its way to me as we speak! So excited !

You will find, as I did, that it will be worth the wait. Good luck with it.

Regards,
Bud James

Today is supposed to be yet another advised delivery date to my dealer, for the ordered and paid for 35 APO. I now forget how many missed delivery dates I have now had, five or six since April, back when Leica UK told my dealer that a lens allocated to me, was supposedly "in the post". Of course it wasn't, it seems as if was instead sold direct to someone from the Mayfair shop. I will fall over in astonishment if it actually does arrive, not that I can collect it, as currently at my French house. 

Wilson

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

Today is supposed to be yet another advised delivery date to my dealer, for the ordered and paid for 35 APO. I now forget how many missed delivery dates I have now had, five or six since April, back when Leica UK told my dealer that a lens allocated to me, was supposedly "in the post". Of course it wasn't, it seems as if was instead sold direct to someone from the Mayfair shop. I will fall over in astonishment if it actually does arrive, not that I can collect it, as currently at my French house. 

Wilson

Sorry to hear you're still waiting.  Pretty poor that Leica doesn't support its dealer network.  

I gave up trying my usual sources, still no availability anywhere, and just signed up for email notifications when Leica Mayfair has stock.  Missed four times because I was too late responding, but fifth time lucky and received mine a couple of weeks ago.  I believe Mayfair received only two lenses and both went within 15 minutes of the online notification being sent.

I know that doesn't help you, but perhaps an indication that stock is starting to flow through.

• Thanks 1

Am 26.8.2021 um 11:55 schrieb budjames:

Regards,
Bud James

Is that not rather the sensor than the lens? It would be interesting to see a comparison with the Summilux and the same camera. Of course we hear very positive opinions about that lens. But I wonder what that means in real life. However the sharpness of your examples with the horses can be achieved with any good lens. Or do you have a different view?

13 hours ago, M10 for me said:

Is that not rather the sensor than the lens? It would be interesting to see a comparison with the Summilux and the same camera. Of course we hear very positive opinions about that lens. But I wonder what that means in real life. However the sharpness of your examples with the horses can be achieved with any good lens. Or do you have a different view?

Shooting with the APO Summicron on my M10-P does not provide as much "crop-ability" as when shooting on the M10-R. That makes perfect sense. However, the APO compared to my Summilux 35mm on either body show the increased sharpness, especially in the corners of the APO.

I cannot speak the to the results with other brands, because I only now own Leica (M10-P, M10-R and SL2). I shot Canon pro bodies (film and then digital) for decades, then Fuji X for 5 years before fulfilling a lifelong desire to own a Leica. Once I bought my first Leica M10 in the fall of 2017, I was hooked. I quickly sold my Fuji X kit to buy a few Leica lenses and I have not looked back since.

To some degree, we are chasing infinity here as both body bodies and lenses are excellent. I rarely shoot my Summilux at f1.4, so I prefer the smaller size, lesser weight and optical benefits of the APO Summicron 35mm. It's great to have choices and the discretionary income too act on them. My kids will inherit this stuff along with my collection of Billingham bags. :)

Regards,
Bud James

Edited by budjames
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mine arrived today and as soon as I opened it, I saw this speck of dust in the first element. It's underneath the glass. 

My heart just sank immediately. Already emailed the seller, I guess I would have to send it back or something.

If I ship it back, is there any chance the dust would move and they would say its fine because they cant see it anymore?

Edited by Ktsa5239

41 minutes ago, Ktsa5239 said:

Mine arrived today and as soon as I opened it, I saw this speck of dust in the first element. It's underneath the glass. 

My heart just sank immediately. Already emailed the seller, I guess I would have to send it back or something.

If I ship it back, is there any chance the dust would move and they would say its fine because they cant see it anymore?

I would take good pics of the dust and send them to the dealer before shipping back the lens.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I posted on Jono’s thread but as this is my first impression I should have posted it here…

So I managed to finally get out and test the lens for the first time today.  I’ll not post boring test shots but something worthwhile later.

I’m ecstatic over how well it performs on the M10 AND SL2 - renders beautifully on both cameras. It lives up to the hype ( and I don’t think I’m drinking the APO coolade 🙄). 

I did some very detailed tests, maybe not up to Sean Reed standards, but enough to convince me that’s it’s corner resolution on the SL2 is outstanding (and minimal deterioration moving from 5.6 to 2.0). 

This is a very versatile lens and will therefore also serve very well for landscapes etc on the SL2 and into the future cross-platform on the M cameras. 

I have no regrets whatsoever having traded the 1.4/35 Summilux FLE for it. I’d had the Summilux since late 2009, long enough to know I wouldn’t miss it. I have a 35 Summicron v4 for when I want ‘character’.

I was very lucky to have picked this lens up, coincidentally having calling about something else the day after it arrived in the store - I feel just a little guilty ( not really 😁). 

Hopefully those of you still waiting will get yours soon.  It’s worth the wait.

I’m off to take more photos…

• Thanks 1