The Leica APO-Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH - First Impressions

Steven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, budjames said:

The sharpening was the Capture One Pro 21 default settings. I never have to sharpen images from my Leicas. 

Seemingly contradictory statements.  For me, requirements are image specific, using ImagePrint and/or Adobe software. Others have different techniques and preferences.

Jeff

My Summilux 35 now sits on a shelf since getting my APO Summicron 35. The APO is my new favorite travel and all purpose lens.

And, no, I’m not selling my Summilux.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

Edited by budjames
  • Like 2

On 7/4/2021 at 6:46 PM, Jeff S said:

Seemingly contradictory statements.  For me, requirements are image specific, using ImagePrint and/or Adobe software. Others have different techniques and preferences.

Jeff

I also use Affinity Photo, as a Photoshop alternative, and ON1 PhotoRaw. I find that each program has different default sharpening settings for Leica RAW files. I prefer Capture One's interpretation of default sharpening as compared to the other program. Generally, my images look better with less work than my experience with the other two programs. 

I canceled my Adobe Creative Cloud subscription about 4 years ago after continual frustration with Fuji X RAW file processing. I used various Fuji X cameras for about five years before finally splurging on my first Leica, the M10, and a few Leica lenses. After learning how to manually focus and zone focus again, I really enjoyed the Leica shooting experience and image quality, so much, that I sold my entire Fuji X system to buy more Leica lenses. Through this transition, Capture One Pro always provided a higher quality result than Adobe Lightroom, which I was using since the first pre-public beta.

It's great to have the post-processing options that we have available to us now. For me, I like the Capture One user experience and customizability of the interface, in addition, to the excellent results. It's a personal preference.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto

3 hours ago, budjames said:

I also use Affinity Photo, as a Photoshop alternative, and ON1 PhotoRaw. I find that each program has different default sharpening settings for Leica RAW files. I prefer Capture One's interpretation of default sharpening as compared to the other program. Generally, my images look better with less work than my experience with the other two programs. 

I canceled my Adobe Creative Cloud subscription about 4 years ago after continual frustration with Fuji X RAW file processing. I used various Fuji X cameras for about five years before finally splurging on my first Leica, the M10, and a few Leica lenses. After learning how to manually focus and zone focus again, I really enjoyed the Leica shooting experience and image quality, so much, that I sold my entire Fuji X system to buy more Leica lenses. Through this transition, Capture One Pro always provided a higher quality result than Adobe Lightroom, which I was using since the first pre-public beta.

It's great to have the post-processing options that we have available to us now. For me, I like the Capture One user experience and customizability of the interface, in addition, to the excellent results. It's a personal preference.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto

Agreed, we have marvelous choices, each subject to user preference. Whatever works. I was merely surprised that you said you never sharpen your images (presumably since you switched to C1 and its default sharpening).  Regardless of the software I’ve used, my experience is that sharpening refinements are image specific, even if subtle tweaks, particularly when finalizing to print and/or switching camera/lens gear.  But we’re all different (which is why I linked to the post above, which illustrates diverse techniques and preferences).

Jeff

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/2/2021 at 1:04 PM, wlaidlaw said:

What Leica UK should never do is to tell the dealer that a lens is on the way to them and then sell that lens direct. This is what appears to have happened at the end of April. Such an action is guaranteed to annoy the dealer and infuriate the customer. My local dealer offered a substantially better price for the 35 ASPH Summicron than anyone else. My experience of Leica Mayfair is that their part exchange offer prices are very miserly. 

Wilson

I hesitate to ask but as we move towards end July, have you received your 35mm APO yet?  

I'm still on Leica Mayfair's email alert list but I'm never quick enough when the email link comes through.  Nothing anyway in the last 3-4 weeks.

14 minutes ago, T25UFO said:

I hesitate to ask but as we move towards end July, have you received your 35mm APO yet?  

I'm still on Leica Mayfair's email alert list but I'm never quick enough when the email link comes through.  Nothing anyway in the last 3-4 weeks.

Still not received my lens yet. The last estimated delivery date to me, also missed like the previous four delivery dates, was 23 July. The boss lady at Parkcameras, has an APB out for the Leica rep and is going to give him a verbal kicking once she gets hold of him. I am off to France for 3 months on August 12th and it would be nice to have the 35APO with me but probably unlikely. I am being driven out by friends, as I am not yet up to long distance driving, only being 3 weeks post major surgery. They are driving back ten days later and I shall fly back at the beginning of October. I do have a car stored out there, albeit a bit unconventional with no roof, being a 3 wheeler Morgan, so driving out in my daily driver, as I usually do, is not essential. I have therefore limited space and will probably only take my M10-R and R9 or M7 with me. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

5 minutes ago, wlaidlaw said:

is going to give him a verbal kicking once she gets hold of him.

He is probably frustrated as everyone about supply issues but has to live with 'company policy' and decisions up the chain. The last thing he needs is a 'kicking' about something over which he has no control. Wonder who the 'reps' report to.

• Like 1

He represents the company and will just have to live with being ticked off over what I regard as being unethical behaviour. Selling a lens direct when they had already advised that it had been allocated to my dealer, just to swell their already not inconsiderable profits, is not acceptable. If he does not like the way the company works, he would always be free to move somewhere else. 

Wilson

On 7/26/2021 at 2:04 PM, wlaidlaw said:

He represents the company and will just have to live with being ticked off over what I regard as being unethical behaviour. Selling a lens direct when they had already advised that it had been allocated to my dealer, just to swell their already not inconsiderable profits, is not acceptable. If he does not like the way the company works, he would always be free to move somewhere else. 

Wilson

Hi Wilson,

Just to let you know I've had two notifications from the Leica Online Store in the last week, the most recent being today at 12:20.  On both occasions I was too late responding and the lens was out of stock again.  At least this does suggest the supply is improving so hope you get your lens soon!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, T25UFO said:

Hi Wilson,

Just to let you know I've had two notifications from the Leica Online Store in the last week, the most recent being today at 12:20.  On both occasions I was too late responding and the lens was out of stock again.  At least this does suggest the supply is improving so hope you get your lens soon!

Thanks for keeping me posted. I have being keeping my dealer appraised of the situation. They are fuming but seem unable to get Leica to see they are doing anything wrong. I am off to my French house on the 12th of this month and I don't I am afraid, see it arriving there before that. Prior to the stupidity of Brexit I would have just got my dealer to send it to me in France but now that would have all sorts of tax implications, so I suspect it will now have to wait until I get back to the UK in October.

Wilson

»Threading« about first impressions… impressive!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

100% crop – 🤩

M10M + Apo-M 35, 0.3m, f4.0, ISO 400, 1/250 sec.— focusing via live view (display) and focus peaking.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

M10M+35APO; F2.0; shot underexposed 2stops, ISO3200 (just a night light in my bedroom). LR adjustment +1.7 stops.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 7/4/2021 at 6:46 PM, Jeff S said:

Jeff

Sharpening techniques can be very subjective. Personally, I try to do as little post processing as possible. Leica DNG files work well with CaptureOne Pro 21.

My only complaint with C1P is that the need to make a Leica M10-R DNG profile available, in addition, to the oversaturated ProStandard DNG profile. I created a support ticket to see if they can come up with one.

Regards,
Bud James

3 hours ago, budjames said:

Sharpening techniques can be very subjective. Personally, I try to do as little post processing as possible. Leica DNG files work well with CaptureOne Pro 21.

Sure, I think we covered this a month ago… ending with post #865.

Jeff

• Like 1

On 8/9/2021 at 5:59 PM, RF’sDelight said:

»Threading« about first impressions… impressive!

100% crop – 🤩

M10M + Apo-M 35, 0.3m, f4.0, ISO 400, 1/250 sec.— focusing via live view (display) and focus peaking.

Are you just shooting your watch or is it a product shot for Grand Seiko? Very nicely done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1