Jump to content

The Leica APO-Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH - First Impressions


Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 hours ago, johnbuckley said:

Just got the happy news, and mine was shipped today to where I am currently.

 

I suspect we got the same email from the same Leica dealer!

Hi,

you are correct, I had an email and phone call " Moolah is gone, the lens you ordered is here, waiting for you."

Sami

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Or, take a workshop........ I've been making my living at producing images in photography and film for many decades, long enough to know just how to make an indifferent shot work perhaps and to please a client or myself, or both along the way.....BUT there's always room to learn from others be it in books or taking workshops that can help shove you out of the creative mire that's all to easy to sink into irrespective of how long you've been doing the dance. So yes Jeff, well pointed out.

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

No idea Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Posted Images

I believe that if there was a problem it's fixed now as my 35mm APO just shipped from the factory to the UK and they don't appear to be aware of any outstanding production challenges except not making enough of them!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SJH said:

I believe that if there was a problem it's fixed now as my 35mm APO just shipped from the factory to the UK and they don't appear to be aware of any outstanding production challenges except not making enough of them!!

Did you get yours direct from Leica Mayfair? 

Wilson

Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/29/2021 at 11:51 PM, johnbuckley said:

Just got the happy news, and mine was shipped today to where I am currently.

 

I suspect we got the same email from the same Leica dealer!

Hi,

you are correct, I had an email and phone call " Moolah is gone, the lens you ordered is here, waiting for you."

Sami

Link to post
Share on other sites

interesting  to note label was pasted upside down on side panel. documents were in bottom of box, i ended up opening  both ends of box

cleaned lens and leather box with microfiber, glass is pristine.

perhaps leica  is rushing out lenses now; I did not see it before with earlier purchases.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine just arrived today from the Leica store in SoHo, New York. I just shot a few frames to check focus. I will shoot it a lot this weekend end and report back with a few images.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

Did you get yours direct from Leica Mayfair? 

Wilson

Yes that’s correct :) Just signed up for the email alerts, clicked the link as soon as it came in and one APO on the way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, pedaes said:

Check if Wilson's name is on the box.

Very true :) 

On a serious note over the years I’ve found that whilst I’ve had very good relationships with a couple of UK dealers and Leica direct, when it comes to anything that’s just been launched or is a limited edition/low production numbers if you want one quickly then Leica direct will always have them quicker than their dealer network most of the time. It’s just supply and demand, often the in country Leica stores aren’t entirely sure when stock will be coming through as well so of course this leads to frustration with dealers who are even further down the chain.

Once initial demand has gone through and production picks up then dealers tend to start being stocked but they themselves often only buy in one copy. Take the 50mm APO pretty much in stock across most dealers but then again not in big numbers for obvious commercial reasons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, TrickyMrT said:

it is the best lense i owned since the APO 50mm!

These could have been shot with an iPhone.

Bud

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SJH said:

Very true :) 

On a serious note over the years I’ve found that whilst I’ve had very good relationships with a couple of UK dealers and Leica direct, when it comes to anything that’s just been launched or is a limited edition/low production numbers if you want one quickly then Leica direct will always have them quicker than their dealer network most of the time. It’s just supply and demand, often the in country Leica stores aren’t entirely sure when stock will be coming through as well so of course this leads to frustration with dealers who are even further down the chain.

Once initial demand has gone through and production picks up then dealers tend to start being stocked but they themselves often only buy in one copy. Take the 50mm APO pretty much in stock across most dealers but then again not in big numbers for obvious commercial reasons.

What Leica UK should never do is to tell the dealer that a lens is on the way to them and then sell that lens direct. This is what appears to have happened at the end of April. Such an action is guaranteed to annoy the dealer and infuriate the customer. My local dealer offered a substantially better price for the 35 ASPH Summicron than anyone else. My experience of Leica Mayfair is that their part exchange offer prices are very miserly. 

Wilson

Link to post
Share on other sites

I received my Leica APO Summicron-M 35mm lens today from the Leica store in SoHo, NYC. It is beautiful and small. I will give it a work out over the 4th of July holiday weekend.

Here are a few shots of the unpacking.

Cheers,
Bud

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2021 at 7:52 AM, SJH said:

Yes that’s correct :) Just signed up for the email alerts, clicked the link as soon as it came in and one APO on the way.

You were quicker than me!  I also signed up for email alerts but when I clicked the link it was out of stock again.  Now you have yours, I suppose that's one less person I have to beat when the next email comes through.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2021 at 1:04 PM, wlaidlaw said:

What Leica UK should never do is to tell the dealer that a lens is on the way to them and then sell that lens direct. This is what appears to have happened at the end of April. Such an action is guaranteed to annoy the dealer and infuriate the customer. My local dealer offered a substantially better price for the 35 ASPH Summicron than anyone else. My experience of Leica Mayfair is that their part exchange offer prices are very miserly. 

Wilson

I really feel your pain here!! In fairness I’ve always found Leica UK incredibly helpful personally. Clearly I can’t speak for them but as I see it when you buy the lens on the UK store it actually ships direct from Germany (as many of their products do) and they don’t actually know when it will come into stock online themselves. It strikes me therefore that dealers won’t really get anything concrete from Mayfair or Leica UK generally and if they do give them anything at all it most likely is a ‘guess’.
 

My only suggestion for you is to ask your dealer if they have actual written confirmation of the delivery date for your lens from Leica Germany otherwise it’s ‘guesstimate’ just like Leica UK. Not ideal of course but most UK dealers are really excellent as well and are probably just as frustrated as Leica UK as they could sell more lenses then are currently coming through.
 

From what I hear currently even a major Leica market like the UK is only getting 2-3 APO’s a month at the moment so leaving Leica out of it there appear to be more UK dealers than lenses right now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A few shots from a British classic car show in Washington Crossing, PA, yesterday shot with my M10-R and APO Summicron 35mm. Processed in Capture One Pro 21 with cropping, exposure and contrast adjustments. The sharpening was the Capture One Pro 21 default settings. I never have to sharpen images from my Leicas. 

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

And a few more.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...