The Leica APO-Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH - First Impressions

Steven

On 4/20/2021 at 11:52 AM, wlaidlaw said:

Has anyone heard any news about when these lenses are due to go on general release? 

Wilson

I am eagerly awaiting one. From what I can tell, each US Leica Store received one the week after the early March announcement. I don’t believe they’ve been replenished. If others know of a second one arriving in Boston, DC, LA, please raise your hand. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/15/2021 at 5:56 AM, tom0511 said:

This is an interesting comment!

Part of your comment might explain why I still love film images. And have you realized that many of the "most like images" here in the Leica-forum are shot with film?

Sharpness and detail is not everything , thats for sure. Leica is pretty good though to make lenses sharp but also make them not too produce a clinical looking image.

IMO the S lenses are the most impressive example.

Thanks for the heads up (information) on the Leica S lenses. 

I called in at my local Leica dealer this morning, to deliver my 35mm ASPH Summicron, where they made a much improved trade in offer (up by £350), which I accepted. The good news is that I am apparently top of their wait list (maybe just a list of one :)) and with a bit of luck, might receive my 35 APO as soon as this Friday. I will clean my M10-R sensor in anticipation. 

Wilson

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Sadly I am still waiting for my fully paid for 35 APO Summicron. Leica UK advised my dealer it would be delivered to them on April 30th. Then with no reason disclosed and in spite of Leica UK telling me on April 26th that I could currently buy one from them direct from the Mayfair online shop, the delivery to my dealer was postponed to 28th of May. I am now being told the delivery is postponed yet again until mid June at the earliest. Meanwhile I read and see about people walking into Leica Stores in the USA and in the far east, not having ordered and coming out with a 35 APO, posting unboxing videos of their purchase. 

Wilson

On 4/23/2021 at 11:52 PM, johnbuckley said:

I am eagerly awaiting one. From what I can tell, each US Leica Store received one the week after the early March announcement. I don’t believe they’ve been replenished. If others know of a second one arriving in Boston, DC, LA, please raise your hand. 

I was second on the wait list at the Leica store in SoHo, NYC. He got one just after the release which was sold immediately. He has no idea when he will start receiving shipments.

I love my Summilux 35mm FLE, but my APO Summicron 50mm is sharper. That's why I'm looking forward to buying the APO Summicron 35 to complement my APO 50mm as my travel kit. I sold my Summicron 35mm ASPH a few months ago in anticipation of buy the APO version.

Cheers.
Bud

Edited by budjames
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It is not a regional issue.  I am first on the list at my (US) dealer, having put an order in when it was announced, and there is no word here on when they are actually going to be available. All the mail order places are in "pre-order" or "notify when in stock" mode.

• Like 3

Am 1.6.2021 um 14:10 schrieb budjames:

I was second on the wait list at the Leica store in SoHo, NYC. He got one just after the release which was sold immediately. He has no idea when he will start receiving shipments.

I love my Summilux 35mm FLE, but my APO Summicron 50mm is sharper. That's why I'm looking forward to buying the APO Summicron 35 to complement my APO 50mm as my travel kit. I sold my Summicron 35mm ASPH a few months ago in anticipation of buy the APO version.

Cheers.
Bud

I wonder if this is correct in practice. I have the 50mm Lux in Silver which I find is too heavy fot me so I looked for a lighter 50mm version. I found the Summarit that I took into my hands and I was thrilled with its weight. As I knew they were going to discontinue that line, I just bought it: A cheap Summarit: Can that be a good lens? Today I think fully differently. This is a superb 50mm lens with quasi no weight. As a 35mm I have the lux and I do not think of adding the APO chron. I do not want to have a huge collection of lenses that I do not use. I see that already my 50mm Lux sits at home all the time. 

I just remenber when I was in the concert hall in Lucerne from Jean Nouvel and I had the "wrong" lens with me: the 3,4 21mm. But I brought home wonderful images. At the end I did not miss a faster lens. 

So everything is very relative.

I plan shooting a wdding next week and plan to go with Canon 5 with 135mm 2.0 plus 50mm 1,2 plus 24-70mm 2,8. That is why I do not want heavy Leica lenses any more. Leica is my leisure or hiking or traveling camera.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fedro said:

I just got mine, cannot wait for the weekend

Hopefully that is a sign that a few might be crawling out of the Wetzlar gates. Leica UK apparently enquired with Wetzlar last week, as to when they might expect to start seeing their outstanding orders and supposedly were told that no estimates were possible. That seems pretty feeble to me. Surely Wetzlar have a handle on production rates/numbers and can match that to orders from the Leica distributors for the various countries to estimate realistic delivery schedules - not exactly rocket science. Leica UK have to date kept over promising and under delivering on the 35APO - not a recipe for customer satisfaction. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

10 hours ago, snooper said:

Nooo They have a bunch of numbers before the 007 🤓

Does not matter. Marco Schouten just sold a pre asph 35 with serial number 2222007 for a very big premium. On the description on his website, he wrote "very rare double O 7 serial"... 

He once told me that a Chinese person bought him an 8 element with serial 4444 for close to 10K. Something about the number 4 attracts people in china. Not sure what exactly. 

vor 6 Minuten schrieb Steven:

Something about the number 4 attracts people in china. Not sure what exactly. 

In chinese, the numeral 4 sounds similar to the chinese word for death. To the best of my knowledge, Chinese people therefore try to avoid buying items having 4s printed on them. For example, number plates with 4s on them are not exactly popular in China. There are other numerals like 8 and 9, which are much preferred by Chinese people, and for they are prepared to pay a premium. 

Andy

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, wizard said:

Wilson, didn't you know that it is America first? 🙂

I suspect it is more UK last because of the Brexit nonsense, given that 35APO lenses are appearing in France. The re-re-re-scheduled delivery date for my order of the 35 APO is currently Wednesday of next week but I am fully expecting it to be re-re-re-re-scheduled. As someone once said: "Déja vu all over again". 

Wilson

55 minutes ago, Steven said:

Does not matter. Marco Schouten just sold a pre asph 35 with serial number 2222007 for a very big premium. On the description on his website, he wrote "very rare double O 7 serial"... 

No wonder why users of other forums such as dpreview are bashing Leica gear and users in any occasion... A lens gets his value from what you do with it, not from whatever number is printed...  This world is crazy 😩

• Like 1