The Leica APO-Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH - First Impressions

Steven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

21 minutes ago, Steven said:

At some point on this thread, or another APO thread, someone briefly challenged the marriage of the the 35 APO, or any overly sharp modern lens, on a film. Made me want to try with a few Sunday morning snaps. I find this roll of Ilford XP2 to make a perfect spouse to my 35 APO. Didn't get any shot worth printing, but it demonstrate that the 3D pop effect is still present on film. 

As always, click on the photo for "best" viewing experience... 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

looks great - cannot wait to try it with my MP ..

• Like 1

I really like your B&W images.  Modern lenses can work really well with film .....these lenses can provide a high level of acuity "in camera", and provide real bite to the image.

I used to own a M 50 APO, and I preferred the result when using it with my M7 film camera, more than I did when using it on the M240/M10.

If anything, I found the sharp digital sensor + sharp lens was all too much acuity in some situations (ie, as a result, I like Karbe lenses on film, and Mandler on digital).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another one on film with the APO 

• Like 13

5 hours ago, Steven said:

At some point on this thread, or another APO thread, someone briefly challenged the marriage of the the 35 APO, or any overly sharp modern lens, on a film. Made me want to try with a few Sunday morning snaps. I find this roll of Ilford XP2 to make a perfect spouse to my 35 APO. Didn't get any shot worth printing, but it demonstrate that the 3D pop effect is still present on film. 

As always, click on the photo for "best" viewing experience... 

"Don't put the APO 35 Summicron on a film M" - now that is just clucking madness! 

I can see no reason not to.  The lens will do what it does and the film emulsion will do what it does.  The result can't help but be a good print IMO.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 6:02 PM, sarkleshark said:

Any word on when these might ship?? 

There are definitely arrivals in the US - based on Forum postings, I know of at least one in Boston, and from Instagram at least one in DC. My recollection is on lenses like this, Leica Stores get one or possibly two per month. Let’s hope the machine cranks up. But for now, there are at least some deliveries in the US. 

it would be nice if people following this thread who’ve received on would let us all know, so we can get a sense of how widespread deliveries are in different countries. 

Edited by johnbuckley

3 minutes ago, johnbuckley said:

There are definitely arrivals in the US - based on Forum postings, I know of at least one in Boston, and from Instagram at least one in DC. My recollection is on lenses like this, Leica Stores get one or possibly two per month. Let’s hope the machine cranks up. But for now, there are at least some deliveries in the US. 

it would be nice if people following this thread who’ve received on would let us all know, so we can get a sense of how widespread deliveries are in different countries. 

I asked my store in Paris today. They got one in their store in march. Two in Paris, 5 in france. 18 people on the list in that store only and they expect to get 1-2 per month max. Newt shipment show March 28 for now, but could change, in a good or bad way. 

vor 5 Minuten schrieb Steven:

I asked my store in Paris today. They got one in their store in march. Two in Paris, 5 in france. 18 people on the list in that store only and they expect to get 1-2 per month max. Newt shipment show March 28 for now, but could change, in a good or bad way. 

It looks like covid 19 vaccin logistics 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Steven said:

hahahahaha ! Well, I am the proof that there was at least one APO in Paris this week. But do you have actual proof that there was one vacin this months ?! 😂

I'll happily trade you my second shot of my Maderna vaccine to buy your 35 APO as I got to the front of the line for the 1.2 Noctilux and the back of the line for the 35 APO.

• Haha 2

Quick little survey, for my own curiosity only. To those of you looking to buy the APO, I'm curious to know what your motivation is? Is it the look it creates? The need for a perfect optical formula? The need to replace another lens ? What's your reason for considering this lens ?