The Leica APO-Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH - First Impressions

Steven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, Steven said:

It finished in a prison cell. Let me know if you want to know everything that happened in between. 

What The EFF?  Have I missed something?  Taking photos when should have been in lockdown?

On 3/7/2021 at 9:17 AM, Steven said:

It forces you to change your grip cause your hand cant continue using the tab to focus without covering the lens. So at some point one must drop the tap and continue focusing by turning the ring. it's fine when you focus closer, but once you ago back out, you have a high chance of changing the aperture. 

Its a shame that they didnt adopt the dual range feature similiar to the Q2. Im guessing it may have add too much bulk to affect finder blockage??

When asked in an interview with Karbe that the dual range feature could be implemented in other systems but i didnt expect it theyll do it this way. Its much more elegant design with the Q2.

Where is the sound coming from as you move closer away from 70cm?

1 hour ago, ZHNL said:

Even assuming without coma, I would be really concern about vignette for night sky based on samples shown here. 

Good observation!

And it would be more than surprising if the smallish 35-APO-M matches the SL35-Cron in all respects; size constraints imply compromises. That being said, the 35-APO-M is certainly an interesting and impressive lens. 

1 hour ago, cboy said:

Its a shame that they didnt adopt the dual range feature similiar to the Q2. Im guessing it may have add too much bulk to affect finder blockage??

When asked in an interview with Karbe that the dual range feature could be implemented in other systems but i didnt expect it theyll do it this way. Its much more elegant design with the Q2.

Where is the sound coming from as you move closer away from 70cm?

The advantage of this non dual range design is that in video, for example, you could track a subject all the way into close range without interrupting your shot . 

In stills, in find my self using it a lot around 60/65cm. These 5 extra centimetres are very for portraits at 35mm, when before I had to take a step back. It wouldn't be as convenient if I had to pull back a ring. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, strohscw said:

@Steven Have You already had the chance to compare the SLX28 with the APO35 concerning the bokeh?

Greetings

Wolfram

Not yet, not sure if its worth it, I know what to expect. The 35 DOF will make a massive difference. I consider these two lenses in the same family, though, in the way they render... they both have that new Leica look, ultra realistic, 3D pop... 

Here is another 35mm side by side from my collection of lenses.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1LVrHORA_gF0MuZLF-adGdD5tW2BzKqHS?usp=sharing

Participating in the side by side:

• Summilux Pre Asph v1 at f1.4
  • Summicron V4 at F2
  • Nokton Classic MC v1 at f1.4
  • Summilux Pre Fle at F1.4 and F2
  • Summicron APO at F2

Minor observations:

-The Nokton and the Pre FLE, in a scenario with no strong highlights to glow, are sooooo similar that it’s hard to justify paying the premium for the Leica lens. Especially since the form factor of the Nokton is so much better (similar to the pre asph). The FLE

-The difference between the V4 and the APO is quite massive. When both shot wide open, the APO seems to give a smoother and more blurred bokeh with the face in the center still has more details and his sharper.

-The APO is better corrected for distortions in the corner than the pre FLE.

-There are diffent color casts between the lenses.

Major observation:

-The APO at F2 when compared to the pre FLE seems to ressemble more an F1.4 than an F2. I took many shots in many scenarios, and every time the APO at F2 looked much more as the F1.4 shot from the pre FLE than the F2 shot. I dont know if its a trick, but in terms of DOF, the APO just compares to an F1.4, not an F2 lens.

At this point, this confirms what I posted yesterday. If one lens in my collection has to go to leave space to the APO, its not the V4 as I originally thought because the V4 doesnt act as a double. Its small, has a vintage bokeh, and has nice colours. The one that would have to go is the pre FLE, because that is the one that it competes with the most.

At this point, I dont know yet which of the two I am going to keep.
Pros of the FLE:

• Half the price
  • One more stop of light
  • Renders with more “atmosphere”

Pros of the APO:

• Slightly more compact
  • 30cm MFD
  • No focus shift and better corrected in general
  • Renders with more 3D pop

Tough decision ahead.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Steven said:

Not the ideal testing scenario, I know, but here is a side by side teaser: 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19ip40S6cLld7I2pF0yBsSjpVLQwjDhHI?usp=sharing

Thank you very much for posting this. When I look at the details in the hair highlights, the APO is doing a much better job than the other ones. The background is nicely rendered, although maybe in a modern way (makes me think of the 75mm Noctilux). 

Another thing that stood up was the strong apparent field curvature of the cron v4: the far edges look sharper than the mid field. I guess it is a matter of taste, but I’ve always had a hard time working with a lens with strong field curvature... or with focus shift, for that matter.

Alain

• Like 1

Very helpful comparisons. Thankyou. The 35 Pre FLE LUX ASPH has been my most used Leica lens, but sometimes it can be a bit busy, not as bad as the FLE or the 50 Lux, but sometimes. Since getting an APO 50 I've really grown to love how that renders, the 3-dimensionality without 'distraction' in the bokeh. I'm now on the list the 35 APO and will have to shift some gear to pay for it!

• Like 1

Mmmh. It's not so simple evaluate these lens with those pictures. What I see is, as alainD wrote, the APO has a 75-Noctilux-like rendering but, to me, the sense of air and reality macro-contrast is more present in the V4. I don't know why but it's a feeling looking at the pictures. I love the 75 Noctilux rendering because it's creamy and lifelike but this APO, though iper-realistic, is not so lifelike and I do like its bokeh!

Edited by sarav

5 hours ago, Steven said:

Here is another 35mm side by side from my collection of lenses.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1LVrHORA_gF0MuZLF-adGdD5tW2BzKqHS?usp=sharing

Participating in the side by side:

• Summilux Pre Asph v1 at f1.4
  • Summicron V4 at F2
  • Nokton Classic MC v1 at f1.4
  • Summilux Pre Fle at F1.4 and F2
  • Summicron APO at F2

Tough decision ahead.

Very interesting, thanks for posting.

The 'Lux Pre-ASPH indoor shot looks rather soft, I wonder if that is the lens or something about the particular capture, because its outdoor shot looks considerably better.

The Nokton is doing well in the comparison, considering its low price.

Edited by Danner
spelling

2 hours ago, Danner said:

Very interesting, thanks for posting.

The 'Lux Pre-ASPH indoor shot looks rather soft, I wonder if that is the lens or something about the particular capture, because its outdoor shot looks considerably better.

The Nokton is doing well in the comparison, considering its low price.

Mmmmmmm my lux pre asph is always soft. Sometimes more than other depending the light source. That's why I like it. Also, the outside shot, as you can see in the name of the file, is shot at F2 while the indoor shot is at F1.4, and looks about right to me. Keep in mind that the pre asph is a two in one lens. Soft and Glowy at 1.4. Sharp like a cron at F2 and further stopped down. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mahesh said:

This is the first picture that I really liked Steven. I see what you mean by hyper realism there.

+1. And in contrast to 35-Lux-FLE, no/only weak tendency for double-line oof rendering (in this case on the Eiffel Tower).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Steven said:

Major observation:

-The APO at F2 when compared to the pre FLE seems to ressemble more an F1.4 than an F2. I took many shots in many scenarios, and every time the APO at F2 looked much more as the F1.4 shot from the pre FLE than the F2 shot. I dont know if its a trick, but in terms of DOF, the APO just compares to an F1.4, not an F2 lens.

I spent a happy hour discussing this with Peter Karbe - it's true of all the modern APO summicrons.

Basically it's because they have almost twice as much contrast when in focus, but the focus drops off very quickly when going out of focus, which gives the impression of a wider aperture . . . . I have a diagram he drew for me, but basically this gives the explanation:

Although this is a comparison of 75s, the same thing works - it's getting rid of the colour aberrations which gives you such high contrast.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 8

38 minutes ago, jonoslack said:

I spent a happy hour discussing this with Peter Karbe - it's true of all the modern APO summicrons.

Basically it's because they have almost twice as much contrast when in focus, but the focus drops off very quickly when going out of focus, which gives the impression of a wider aperture . . . . I have a diagram he drew for me, but basically this gives the explanation:

Although this is a comparison of 75s, the same thing works - it's getting rid of the colour aberrations which gives you such high contrast.

Hi Joni.  Is it the same with the Leica M 75 APO and Leica M 90 APO ? 

16 minutes ago, Kim Dahl said:

Hi Joni.  Is it the same with the Leica M 75 APO and Leica M 90 APO ? 

Yes Kim

Possibly to a lesser extent, but I feel the 'look' is very similar 

Steven put it very well:

"the APO seems to give a smoother and more blurred bokeh with the face in the center still has more details and his sharper."

But I really don't think this is limited to this lens - I think it extends right across all the APO lenses.

best

• Thanks 1