The Leica APO-Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH - First Impressions

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Or, take a workshop........ I've been making my living at producing images in photography and film for many decades, long enough to know just how to make an indifferent shot work perhaps and to please a client or myself, or both along the way.....BUT there's always room to learn from others be it in books or taking workshops that can help shove you out of the creative mire that's all to easy to sink into irrespective of how long you've been doing the dance. So yes Jeff, well pointed out.

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

No idea Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Steven said:

There is a strong haptic feedback. When you're in live view all you need to do if continue turning stronger. I'll try to post a quick video soon.

Interesting. I shoot the M10D so I think this new feature just killed the lens for me! 

15 minutes ago, Steven said:

you could have said the FLE and save me 5 minutes 😂 

I would not add an APO to complement an FLE. I am actually replacing my (pre) FLE by the APO. To complement an FLE, I think a pre asph suits quite well. Just a thought. 

You could have just wrote 11870 and save me 5min. :)
Thnx for the thought.

57 minutes ago, sebben said:

Interesting. I shoot the M10D so I think this new feature just killed the lens for me! 

I use a VF020 with my 24 mm Elmarit-asph on my M10-D.  It works really well.  Focus magnification is available automatically.

1 hour ago, sebben said:

It is probably like shooting a 0.7m lens on the M3 etc. Once you go past 1m, the lens keeps turning, but you see the point at which the RF patch stops moving, so it is pretty easy to tell the "bottom" of the rangefinder. Not sure if I am describing it well, but it is not a problem in practice.

1 hour ago, Stuart Richardson said:

It is probably like shooting a 0.7m lens on the M3 etc. Once you go past 1m, the lens keeps turning, but you see the point at which the RF patch stops moving, so it is pretty easy to tell the "bottom" of the rangefinder. Not sure if I am describing it well, but it is not a problem in practice.

One of my ZMs goes to 0.5m (21/4.5). I’ve mostly used it on a film M and have had no issues even though there is no tactile feedback when you go below the RF coupling range. The patch stops moving and you just adjust focus a bit to find the minimum. No problem. 

A slight decent would still be welcome on a faster and narrower lens than the ZM.  You’d know right away when you hit 0.7m. 

Does this lens have to be "better" in a modern way than the FLE and the zeiss distagon as well as the apparent voigtlander 35mm apo to be credible?

Or is that not even important because its a leica apo?

28 minutes ago, steve 1959 said:

Does this lens have to be "better" in a modern way than the FLE and the zeiss distagon as well as the apparent voigtlander 35mm apo to be credible?

Or is that not even important because its a leica apo?

it should, certainly. Are you expecting it not to beat out those lenses? 

I expect that it will outperform the 35 FLE if the 28 Lux, 50 APO, and 75 & 90 Noctilux's foreshadow what is to come. 

I'm not a fan of the 35 Zeiss and much prefer the FLE and the Voigtlander is TBD (it will likely be very good).

1 minute ago, dkmoore said:

it should, certainly. Are you expecting it not to beat out those lenses? 

I expect that it will outperform the 35 FLE if the 28 Lux, 50 APO, and 75 & 90 Noctilux's foreshadow what is to come. 

I'm not a fan of the 35 Zeiss and much prefer the FLE and the Voigtlander is TBD (it will likely be very good).

What i am getting at is its quite a high bar at least in terms of optical ability.

The zeiss is my best lens but i am aware that its big in leica terms so is that what your getting at when you say "your not a fan"?

If the new lens is sharper etc than the above mentioned lenses that will be a great achievement by leica..

9 minutes ago, steve 1959 said:

What i am getting at is its quite a high bar at least in terms of optical ability.

The zeiss is my best lens but i am aware that its big in leica terms so is that what your getting at when you say "your not a fan"?

If the new lens is sharper etc than the above mentioned lenses that will be a great achievement by leica..

Yes, I don't like the size or the focus tab but the optics are great, no argument there.

If the 35 APO is as good as the 35 Zeiss but only slightly bigger than the V2 cron then it is a win. Then add in the close focus ability and it will stand out.  I'm a bit skeptical on how the focusing will work but it sounds awesome. 

I agree that the bar is high but it would be incredibly dumb for them to launch a lens that doesn't perform better than the current Leica line up, especially with the uncharge. But, I have faith.

Steven needs to wake up and show us the goods...   :  )

1 minute ago, astrostl said:

I expect the Voigtlander APO-LANTHAR 35/2 to optically outperform the Leica APO-Summicron 35/2. We'll see. In any case, heck of a year for M lenses and it's only March!

If that happened it would make the leica apo ridiculous?