The Leica APO-Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH - First Impressions

Steven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So, the more the time passes with this lens, the more I think I'll keep it for a couple decades. But let's see. Things are evolving strangely. 

I used to think it would replace my Cron V4. But right now, from my list of 35s, it seems like the collateral damage of this acquisition will be the 35 pre FLE. This favourite of mine risks to be downgraded to the dusty shelf. 

2 minutes ago, RF’sDelight said:

Thanks for saving me time with this. The two obvious difference are the longer black part protruding toward the camera sensor, and the little vertical line on the black part of the snail, which is even more obvious in real life than on this drawing. 

vor 1 Minute schrieb Steven:

Thanks for saving me time with this. The two obvious difference are the longer black part protruding toward the camera sensor, and the little vertical line on the black part of the snail, which is even more obvious in real life than on this drawing. 

You’re welcome! — However the parts are shaped, they are moving away from the sensor/film plane while focusing towards close distances. Like they always do. 🤓

5 hours ago, Steven said:

My overall impression of the lens so far is that beyond the fact that it's probably near technical perfection, but I'm not knowledgable to comment on that, it has that real new Leica hyper realistic look. That I know of, the 50 APO has it, the SL35, and probably the new SL28, but the place where I see that effect the most is on the Q2. I'd also like to add that I own a non APO (marketed lens) that produces a similar 3D pop effect. THE 28 LUX. 

Hi Steven,

Q. You mentioned the look one gets off the Q2 is similiar to the APO35 so which lens you prefer in terms of handling since the Q2 has that dual range feature and the APO35 has instead a long focus throw.

Thanks,

All the best

Just now, cboy said:

Hi Steven,

Q. You mentioned the look one gets off the Q2 is similiar to the APO35 so which lens you prefer in terms of handling since the Q2 has that dual range feature and the APO35 has instead a long focus throw.

Thanks,

All the best

I'm pretty sure the Q2 can auto focus (or manual focus) closer than 70 cm before switching to macro mode, right ? 

Besides that point, I prefer the size of the APO, but the handling of the Q2. Aperture ring is better on the Q2, and its convenient to just pull and get onto macro mode rather than this long focus throw which forces you to change your grip when focusing closer than 50cm. It forces you to change your grip cause your hand cant continue using the tab to focus without covering the lens. So at some point one must drop the tap and continue focusing by turning the ring. it's fine when you focus closer, but once you ago back out, you have a high chance of changing the aperture. 

The look I get out of this APO is what I imagine a 35mm Q3 would be like. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Since there is some attraction to 100% crops and eyeballs in this thread here is a 0.5 m shot (100% crop) of my own eyeball in front of our bathroom mirror. Shot with M10-P + 50mm Dual Range Summicron build in 1959. I wanted to focus on my iris but hit my lashes instead (by body shifting not by focus shift).

Don’t get me wrong, I think the Apo 35 is a hell of a lens but where would it lead me when I would buy every interesting Leica lens. And man what a performance of a 62 year old lens, don't you think? 😁 PS. Sorry for the pinky winter skin.

Edited by RF’sDelight
  • Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Steven said:

Ah sorry for this one. I coud not resist 😂 to show you guys the new creative possibilities at 30cm. 
And a demonstration of the bokeh balls at MFD.

don't get poop on your lens. Thankfully I saw you have a UV filter on it. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Steven said:

A successful walk 

Swanky neighbourhood you live in Steven, no wonder you can indulge in so many Leica toys................We scouted that area just over a year ago for filming but ended up using another location / country because of numbing Parisian bureaucracy and France’s lack of processing labs, ( none now Eclair folded some years ago ).

Not easy trying to walk a dog, pick-up poop and take snaps is it? Believe me I know.

12 hours ago, Steven said:

Details 

Looks like even after all of Leica’s attempts they still can’t completely polish off the onion rings from the elements. One of the reasons I like the Pre-Asph lenses 

Edited by sebben
  • Like 1

• Like 2

• Like 8

• Like 9

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Like 10