The Leica APO-Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH - First Impressions

Steven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, onasj said:

The Voigtlander APO 35/2 is an outstanding optic, but Leica’s 35 APO manages to be even sharper at f/2 in the central region than the Voigtlander

According to MTF charts I presume, as the VM APO-LANTHAR 35/2 does not yet appear to be in anyone's hands?

I'll quote a lightning rod on the subject, DigLloyd: "Leica supplies fantasy MTF for its lenses. That is, the MTF is computed (not measured) based on a computer model, not a real lens. Moreover the data is not corrected for the ray angle effects of a digital sensor. Accordingly, real MTF is unlikely to be as good as Leica presents, particularly at wider apertures."

I'm looking forward to comparative observational reviews to settle it once and for all. And again, what a year for M lenses! I'm tempted on either/both.

Edited by astrostl

12 minutes ago, astrostl said:

According to MTF charts I presume, as the VM APO-LANTHAR 35/2 does not yet appear to be in anyone's hands?

I'll quote a lightning rod on the subject, DigLloyd: "Leica supplies fantasy MTF for its lenses. That is, the MTF is computed (not measured) based on a computer model, not a real lens. Moreover the data is not corrected for the ray angle effects of a digital sensor. Accordingly, real MTF is unlikely to be as good as Leica presents, particularly at wider apertures."

I'm looking forward to comparative observational reviews to settle it once and for all. And again, what a year for M lenses! I'm tempted on either/both.

I think Reid Reviews, which I recommend, may be the only reviewer that takes on this task. At least that I would trust the results. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gelatino said:

If  buying this APO cron means dry bread and raw vegetables diet I think I will cancel my pre order🤔

Au contraire! 

A bread and vegetables diet for a couple of years would be a small sacrifice to make for obtaining this master work of a lens - and it would make for a more healthy heart and a longer life.  Win-win!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 10

2 hours ago, otto.f said:

I thought I saw some field curvature aberration in Jono's picture of the colored fence, one of the first photo's in his review (pixel peeping on my 27" iMac). Can someone falsify or verify this fast first impression?

Hi there Otto

Do you mean this picture? if so, it's a boat rather than a fence, so it's pretty bendy anyway!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Have you picked up the SL 35 APO (750g)? It’s all relative at this performance level.

Jeff

Of course, everything is relative, but to me, my Summilux 35/1.4 FLE of the M60 set, in stainless steel, which is 420 g, is certainly not light. 

Anyway, what this lens really means is that the next M will have LiveView

Edited by horosu
  • Like 5

Peter Karbe states in the video: »We want to have an M lens that performs in the same manner like the SL 35«. Can’t wait to see some Leica enthusiasts comparing the IQ of these two lenses here.😎

Edited by RF’sDelight
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, horosu said:

Of course, everything is relative, but to me, my Summilux 35/1.4 FLE of the M60 set, in stainless steel, which is 420 g, is certainly not light. 

Well if you think 320g for the new lens isn't light, then you surely won't consider your FLE to be light.  For me, most M lenses are babies, especially M Summicrons compared to SL Summicrons.  And my SL 90-280 isn't exactly light.  😳

Jeff

Mr. Karbe's look says it all. (Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLdKhO0q65k )

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Herr Barnack said:

Au contraire! 

A bread and vegetables diet for a couple of years would be a small sacrifice to make for obtaining this master work of a lens - and it would make for a more healthy heart and a longer life.  Win-win!

I may just use this argument. Lol 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2021 at 4:44 PM, Steven said:

Hello, 

I know there are already a couple 35 APO M threads, but they all initiated from rumours, and are a bit all over the place. I suggest we create a new thread here to consolidate now that the lens is real and for actual users to share their first impressions? 

I have the lens in my hands now but I promised my dealer that I would not share any pictures of it or from it until tomorrow 3PM, when it will be officially announced. I will do so tomorrow when the embargo is lifted. 

In the meantime, I can confirm a few facts to you: 

- it exists

- it will be released tomorrow. Limited quantities at first, only 5 in France in March. 

- I paid precisely 7450 euros for the lens

- it is black and compact 

- it is the first lens, to my knowledge, to have a minimum focus distance of 30cm ! 

See you tomorrow. 

Stev

hi Stev,

Summicron 35mm ASPH was my first lens when I bought my M9 in 2011. As I shifted to almost exclusively shooting Noctilux f/0.95 since moving to Paris, I sold cron35 promptly. But as far as I can recall, it was perfect almost in every way. I wonder how APO could do much differently from it. Definitely look forward to your review. 

Jerry

3 hours ago, otto.f said:

I thought I saw some field curvature aberration in Jono's picture of the colored fence, one of the first photo's in his review (pixel peeping on my 27" iMac). Can someone falsify or verify this fast first impression?

While Jono's boat is naturally bendy, I wondered about distortion, too.  Looking over the technical data sheet, it looked like the film lens sheets of olden days.  Besides the MTFs that we all gasp at, there are distortion vs radius, vignetting, and pages of depth of field charts.  No WarpRectilinear post-corrections for this dauntless APO M lens!  But look at the distortion curve, which show about -1% distortion at the top and bottom distances, correcting to 0% at the corners.  I haven't seen that shape since the fast lenses of the 1980s.  It has been known to produce moustache distortion,, where the corrections along the sides of an image waver in and out from top to bottom.  Have any of the early users checked for that?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jonoslack said:

Hi There Steven!

Well done with this (I hope the leica embargo police don't get you!)

I'm going to read it through and I'll talk later - incidentally, my own lens arrived today at 11.45 - perfect timing!

all the best

Jono

What ? @jonoslack knows my name ?! Second best photo pride moment, after the time that Steve McCurry first sent me a message on instagram. Now I travel with him ! 😂

Regarding the embargo, I was not under NDA and the whole world knew and saw photos of the lens so I had a bit of fun as a way to give back to the users of this forum who help a lot with many things ! Besides, I think that rumours and leak contribute in a positive way to the image of a brand. It makes it look very wanted ! I also posted a photo on my story and Leica winked back at me ! 

3 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Perhaps closer, but for the M version to be better, let alone ‘far superior’ as Steven claims, would seem to defy physics.  In fact Karbe clearly explained how it was the extra space created by standardizing the SL Summicron dimensions that allowed the SL 35 to be his best lens, as ordinarily it would have been the smallest of the bunch.  But maybe there’s some magic glass in the new M version.

Jeff

Arghhhh Jeff, for the fifth time I didn't claim it was superior in physics. I dont have any knowledge of that chromatic I dont know what and distortions of I dont know what either. I meant that it was superior as a product. It's much more impressive TO ME than the SL. The SL is a big lens, way bigger than the competition, and it has a horrible and noise AF system which I despise. The M is a jewel, a true marvel of engineering, with a revolutionary focus distance, and yet, the image looks equal or better to my eye. I'm more in awe at the M than the SL. 

Who cares about charts ? Seriously ? People really care for charts ? Do HCB or Mccurry get an incredible street photo, or a time magazine cover portrait and say: "look at that perfect wall in the corner? there is not distortion!". No. When you look at their photos you dont see charts, you feel things. Leica makes you feel things. Watch their new "witness" campaign on YouTube. The first time you watch the video, do you see charts when seeing the photos ? or do you feel things? You feel things. 

The M 35 APO has an incredible image quality that makes you feel a lot. The IQ is stellar. Nothing I've experience before. you gotta see it to believe it. My first impression. IT might evolve. 

• Like 10