Advertisement (gone after registration)

so i saw these today, the badly worn one is $9000, and the other is $11,000...but the standard silver one is $1700..all have perfect glass..but essentially they all have the same Elements right ?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

18 minutes ago, frame-it said:

so i saw these today, the badly worn one is $9000, and the other is $11,000...but the standard silver one is $1700..all have perfect glass..but essentially they all have the same Elements right ?

Optically there is no difference. The black paint lenses are considered to be more collectible and are more rare, hence the higher prices. This has nothing to do with 'better lenses' but is an example of pure market forces at work. There are numerous other examples in the area of collecting Leicas or old cameras, generally.

William

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, willeica said:

Optically there is no difference. The black paint lenses are considered to be more collectible and are more rare, hence the higher prices. This has nothing to do with 'better lenses' but is an example of pure market forces at work. There are numerous other examples in the area of collecting Leicas or old cameras, generally.

William

thank you for the info.

I had two black painted rigid Summicron 50 in my former collection. The photos from my archives hereunder show first model nº 1587389 and second model nº 1836370. The first model has a brass base-bayonet, it is chrome on the second model.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jankap said:

Is it possible to mend the black paint? I  have bought a heavily used R-lens, but the glass is very good still. I would be interested to make the lens somewhat "nicer".

With many collectors a repaint is not of interest. It is quickest way of wiping thousands off the value of a rare collectible.

William

Edited by willeica
  • Like 2

Thanks William and Pyrogallol. It is difficult, I use my lenses, some stay in the cupboard of course. But your advice following, I as a wide angle fan shall start to use this crappy looking 15mm, as it is.

Edited by jankap