SL System v. (All) — LONG READ

LD_50

13 hours ago, Mr.Q said:

for the average joe, the Leica SL is one of the most extreme camera systems on the market.

The L-mount system isn't extreme. The system as a whole offers a broad range of pricing, a huge choice of native mirrorless lenses, and distinctive cameras. The three other systems offer one basic camera type each, with more features as prices go up. Other than Sony, they offer fewer native lenses. Sony has many lenses on offer, but their older lenses aren't very appealing.

12 hours ago, Mr.Q said:

Let's also not forget Leica's reluctance to fix this fatal flaw....  I'm not hating, just calling a spade a spade.

The battery level issue was fixed with firmware updates. The only people who still report issues are using non-supported Canon lenses via Sigma's adapter. To be clear: Sigma explicitly doesn't support Canon lenses with their mount adapter.

Given that, I'm not sure that reluctance is the right term. The issue occurred with lenses that they didn't have access-to while developing the SL2. They acknowledged the problem when it was reported, and they released firmware updates.

27 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

I had a Sony A7rIV and I too prefer the SL2 EVF

But that's normal though. The A7R4 doesnt have the same 9 million dots than the A1. The A1 has 4 million dots more than the SL2, almost double, and its still worse. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Steven said:

P.S. the ONLY things that my A1 can do that I wish my SL2S could do are: 

- Tilt screen (not flip out like the A7SIII, I hate that). 

- Brighter monitor in sunlight

- Good AFc performance with video 

- Option to close the GODDAMN shutter when changing lenses. 

If Leica can give me this, I swear in front of witnesses to not buy a new camera for one decade. 

I can totally agree with you @Steven they should include option to close the shutter when changing lenses it such a great feature. 

7 minutes ago, Svetozar said:

I can totally agree with you @Steven they should include option to close the shutter when changing lenses it such a great feature. 

What is the benefit of having the shutter closed? I would expect the shutter to be more fragile and susceptible to damage than the sensor glass cover. Dust abatement seems to be something it wouldn’t help with because any dust inside the camera or sitting on the shutter would get blown around once the shutter moved. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is a one interesting comparation related to this topic.

It is comparation between:

-Leica SL2-S

-Sony A7s III

-Canon R5

In my opinion Leica wins in terms of noise and low light. In terms of the best standard profile Sony A7s III wins.

i do not like Leica Standard profile for video it bakes the shadows too much in my opinion.

But with L-log or HLG you can achive amazing results.

It looks like Leica SL2-S is one hell of a camera which is really underestimated compared to the ones that are pushing their marketing hard such as Sony and Canon.

It is not always about the best specs, it is about the clean image, colors, rendition, feel when using it...etc.

Let me know what you think about this ?

2 minutes ago, LD_50 said:

What is the benefit of having the shutter closed? I would expect the shutter to be more fragile and susceptible to damage than the sensor glass cover. Dust abatement seems to be something it wouldn’t help with because any dust inside the camera or sitting on the shutter would get blown around once the shutter moved. 

Shutter closed should prevent dust from entering directly to sensor. I think Canon R5 have this feature. But maybe you are right if the dust come inside it is just matter of time when it will be in contact with a sensor as well. It have sense what are you talking. Never think that way :)

8 minutes ago, Svetozar said:

Here is a one interesting comparation related to this topic.

It is comparation between:

-Leica SL2-S

-Sony A7s III

-Canon R5

In my opinion Leica wins in terms of noise and low light. In terms of the best standard profile Sony A7s III wins.

i do not like Leica Standard profile for video it bakes the shadows too much in my opinion.

But with L-log or HLG you can achive amazing results.

It looks like Leica SL2-S is one hell of a camera which is really underestimated compared to the ones that are pushing their marketing hard such as Sony and Canon.

It is not always about the best specs, it is about the clean image, colors, rendition, feel when using it...etc.

Let me know what you think about this ?

I don’t shoot video. 

In this video I prefer the R5 video and the SL2-S stills. Exposure on the Sony videos looks off to me. 

R5 offers great AF performance for stills and I assume video as well. 

I’m not sure which colors are most accurate for video and stills because they all look so different. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Svetozar said:

Shutter closed should prevent dust from entering directly to sensor. I think Canon R5 have this feature. But maybe you are right if the dust come inside it is just matter of time when it will be in contact with a sensor as well. It have sense what are you talking. Never think that way :)

My MP (240) keeps the shutter closed when the lens is off. I found more dust on that sensor than my SL. I’m not sure why. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BernardC said:

The battery level issue was fixed with firmware updates. The only people who still report issues are using non-supported Canon lenses via Sigma's adapter. To be clear: Sigma explicitly doesn't support Canon lenses with their mount adapter.

Given that, I'm not sure that reluctance is the right term. The issue occurred with lenses that they didn't have access-to while developing the SL2. They acknowledged the problem when it was reported, and they released firmware updates.

this still happens with native lenses i'm afraid 

and if its fixed for others which i haven't heard of whats the point of an alliance 

Edited by hillavoider
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, hillavoider said:

this still happens with native lenses i'm afraid

Others report that the warning only shows-up when the battery is truly depleted (less than 25% remaining). Does the warning show-up with a nearly-full battery on your SL2?

6 hours ago, BernardC said:

Others report that the warning only shows-up when the battery is truly depleted (less than 25% remaining). Does the warning show-up with a nearly-full battery on your SL2?

i'll try out 4k again, i haven't used 4k since november last year. The 2.0 update was july. 

ok you are right, with the 35SL lens right on 25% the error came up. I have had this happen with a full battery, must have used my sigma lens back in november. So L mount alliance is pretty useless. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by hillavoider

3 hours ago, hillavoider said:

i'll try out 4k again, i haven't used 4k since november last year. The 2.0 update was july. 

ok you are right, with the 35SL lens right on 25% the error came up. I have had this happen with a full battery, must have used my sigma lens back in november. So L mount alliance is pretty useless. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The L mount alliance is useless because of a problem you had with one feature on one camera body? 

I’ve been shooting a Sigma 105 macro on my SL2-S. The AFL button on the lens doesn’t seem to have any function. The alliance is still pretty useful. If I got the 4K error with this lens, it would still be pretty useful for other purposes. 

Similarly, I’ve read a standout feature of Sony’s new A1, the 30 FPS burst, doesn’t work with all lenses, and likely none other than Sony’s. The open mount standard is still pretty useful for a number of other purposes. 

Also- I’m not justifying the error with the SL2. It should work in video mode with all the L mount lenses without a crippling error. I just don’t see that error making the alliance useless. 

Edited by LD_50

10 minutes ago, LD_50 said:

The L mount alliance is useless because of a problem you had with one feature on one camera body? 

I’ve been shooting a Sigma 105 macro on my SL2-S. The AFL button on the lens doesn’t seem to have any function. The alliance is still pretty useful. If I got the 4K error with this lens, it would still be pretty useful for other purposes. 

Similarly, I’ve read a standout feature of Sony’s new A1, the 30 FPS burst, doesn’t work with all lenses, and likely none other than Sony’s. The open mount standard is still pretty useful for a number of other purposes. 

Also- I’m not justifying the error with the SL2. It should work in video mode with all the L mount lenses without a crippling error. I just don’t see that error making the alliance useless. 

OK, pretty useless for video or burst shooting then..... jeeez  people are so touchy with any criticism of leica 

25 minutes ago, hillavoider said:

OK, pretty useless for video or burst shooting then..... jeeez  people are so touchy with any criticism of leica 

I’m not touchy about criticism of Leica. I also think they should fix the error you mentioned as well as improve a number of their cameras, their support, and their communication strategy. 

I don’t understand the purpose of the hyperbole and rhetoric, in this case stating multiple times the L-mount alliance is useless because of one feature not working properly. It’s clearly useful in a number of ways. 

For SL users, the L-mount alliance is nothing more than what Sony is doing with their open mount, but limiting it to 2 manufacturers.  I'm not sure if useless is the correct term, but if they aren't checking if the lenses work properly with their cameras, it certainly is a weak alliance and does not fulfill it's initial promise of "improved firmware and full compatibility."

1 minute ago, Mr.Q said:

For SL users, the L-mount alliance is nothing more than what Sony is doing with their open mount, but limiting it to 2 manufacturers.  I'm not sure if useless is the correct term, but if they aren't checking if the lenses work properly with their cameras, it certainly is a weak alliance and does not fulfill it's initial promise of "improved firmware and full compatibility."

The L mount alliance, while limited to three manufacturers, allows one thing Sony’s open mount doesn’t, the use of alternate brand bodies without adapter. I don’t think that is insignificant and certainly isn’t useless.

Is there a list available of lenses that don’t work properly? I’m only aware of the battery level issue with SL2, though since I don’t shoot one I don’t know what exactly the current state of the issue is. Beyond that I’m missing the functionality of the AFL button on my Sigma lens, though I wouldn’t use it anyway.  

To be clear, IS works with Panasonic lenses, but the choice of IS method (OIS or IBIS) is greyed-out in the menu. It would be interesting to test this: same lens, SL2 and S1H (to keep megapixels the same), and see if the Panasonic has noticeably better vibration mitigation.

• Like 1