Does the 35 APO with 30 cm MFD = EVF M coming?

Fedro

vor einer Stunde schrieb Gelatino:

And is it an option to think of a modification of recent (and why not ancient) lenses ( especially wide angles) to (mecanically) allow focusing  to less than 0,70m with Lview control ?

Certainly not. The mechanics of older lenses - even the present line of M lenses - cannot be changed to allow closer focussing. You would need a complete new mount, which nobody will build for so many lenses. The optical design of many lenses is not always good for close focussing. A simple Elmar may be brilliant for close ups, but more complicated optics need special designs like floating elements to uphold their quality beyond the traditional limit of 0.7m or longer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, lct said:

For real Leica men current Visoflexes are a perfect fit with such a lens :D

The SL2 works as a nice Visioflex for wide M lenses.

Regards,

Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.j

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

A few thoughts on this.  Leica lens performance will suffer at closer distances, they have an M adapter for close use of M lenses, this moves the elements further from the plane of capture.  Also available is the 52mm Elpro with adapters that fit 46 and 49mm threads, this doesn't move the lens further from the sensor or film but likely degrades the image by adding more optics.  A third way to take close ups is with Leica screw mount lenses threaded to less than full seating, this works well on my 35mm Elmar and I can take large flower images,  image quality of this lens is acceptable (barely, unless you like old rendering) and forget corners.  All methods require what lct aptly says is the made for real Leica men visoflex.  

I'm not convinced Leica will produce an evf M camera, there's many to choose from currently and past,  M240, MP240, M10, M10P, M10D, Monochromes, special editions.  The new 35mm apo 0.3m marking would work currently on the CL, SL's, TL2 and all the M's with visoflex.  And why  would we want an M wihout the beloved rangefinder?    

• Like 1

On 3/3/2021 at 4:32 AM, Fedro said:

I know that this is on of the most controversial topics on the forum, but was wondering if - in case it is confirmed - the new 35 APO M heralds a new era of super modern lenses and EVF M cameras?

This is an interesting thought and I don't see why it shouldn't be a possibility. There are advantages in that it would likely be cheaper to manufacture with less working parts (which don't get knocked out of calibration), allow for closer focusing, WYSIWYG viewing etc. It would also be a better way to use lenses that hitherto require external viewfinders. So why not! I'd be up for any kind of cheaper digital Leica, and I love 24 mm + 75 mm lenses which would be enjoyable on such a body mehtinks.

• Like 2

Defenatly it is coming. I saw it with goggled Summaron 35 3.5 which has closer than 0.7 m focusing distance.

I also think trees are making wind then they are moving....

It is 2021 and Cosina  Viogtlander has M mount lenses with closer than 0.7 m focusing distance. For sometime. Why?

Because M mount has become new Adaptal.  Even Leica Camera AG is making mirrorless cameras which are working with M lenses....

• Like 4

RF lenses focusing closer than the RF limit is nothing new. In the 1950s there was the ltm version of the lovely f2.0 5 cm Nikkor-HC (close focus) that would hit a detent (like an aperture click-stop) at the RF 1-meter limit, then could be moved past that to scale-focus down to 18 inches. I've used one on a IIIf, and it is a nice lens. It often was sold with Nicca and other Japanese Leica clones.

Edited by TomB_tx
  • Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 3:32 PM, Fedro said:

...was wondering if - in case it is confirmed - the new 35 APO M heralds a new era of... EVF M cameras?

I certainly wouldn't take it on its own as such. More encouraging to me on that front is the stream of M lens introductions while 2/3rds of the promised SL Summicrons continue in the shadows with nary a peep of a new roadmap for that system.  Perhaps all the energy put into this lens, the new Noctis, retro editions, etc introduced over the last couple of years is indeed evidence of an EVF M on the horizon.  Regardless, I'm not holding my breadth. What I do know for certain is that while I remain committed... up to a point... to buying a new M every three or four years, at the current price levels I'm no longer able to justify the cost of a second body. A Q-style M mount camera at a Q-sized price is about the only thing that might alter that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1