Not the start I was thinking of.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Also not the best intro. I am new to Q2 ownership only having received it on 25 Feb 21. Sadly, however, it seems it has to go back to the shop due to two or more slow / dead / odd pixels. When shooting at a dark background there are two white spots in the middle of the top third of the photos.

Hey Ho, subject to a call with the shop tomorrow morning, it is likely to have to go back to the shop. Crossed fingers that there will be no horrendous border or service delays in getting in replaced / repaired (I have never had this issue before so no idea as to what is done with this issue). Having sold all my Fuji gear, I will also be without a camera in my hands for the first time since the 1970's!

I look forward to going in the fun here properly when the / a Q2 is back. :(

Marc (UK)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, acg69 said:

Good luck; what a bummer! However, it will be a highly rewarding experience (judging by my personal case) when you do get it back and start shooting with it. Hang in there:)

Thank you. The camera has been returned and verbally the dealer has agreed an exchange with existing new stock, subject to them checking it. Further play revealed the issue to only happen at iso 800 and above.

Spare battery, grip, and Nitecore ULSL travel charger have arrived so plenty to look at! :)

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this. Best wishes for a quick repair or a swift exchange. I have really enjoyed mine, and it works perfect. With only a couple flaws which are thoroughly discussed on this forum. It is crap for wildlife-photography though, but I guess that's not the intended use. I tried yesterday 🙄(heavily cropped) 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fumigatus said:

Sorry to hear this. Best wishes for a quick repair or a swift exchange. I have really enjoyed mine, and it works perfect. With only a couple flaws which are thoroughly discussed on this forum. It is crap for wildlife-photography though, but I guess that's not the intended use. I tried yesterday 🙄(heavily cropped) 

Having previously had a Nikon D3 and a 300m f2.8 and the subsequent sore back, I gave up on anything needing extended glass! Happy with just travel (when we again can) and people / pet shots for now.

• Like 1

The dealers have been excellent and offered an exchange without any issue. The new replacement Q2 has just arrived. I will set it up and test tonight (confidence being somewhat reduced) but should be good to go and bore you dear viewers with my “snapshots”! 😀

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, I do not know what to do now. The new Q2 has exactly the same problem but this time there are four or five stuck pixels above iso800. The dealers will do another exchange but really two Q2s? Apparently they have had 4 Q2s returned for the same reason in the last two weeks. 

If I had not already bought a spare battery / half case / filter and travel charger, I would give up and look at another manufacturer. Really not impressed.

Edited by Marc B-C

5 minutes ago, Marc B-C said:

Well, I do not know what to do now. The new Q2 has exactly the same problem but this time there are four or five stuck pixels above iso800. The dealers will do another exchange but really two Q2s? Apparently they have had 4 Q2s returned for the same reason in the last two weeks. 

If I had not already bought a spare battery / half case / filter and travel charger, I would give up and look at another manufacturer. Really not impressed.

How do you view your Q2 files? I remember that my Q2 used to have several hot pixels. I have not checked if they are still there as they may have been mapped out automatically by the camera in the meantime. LrC was always able to map those out and I never saw them after importing into Adobe software.

31 minutes ago, SrMi said:

How do you view your Q2 files? I remember that my Q2 used to have several hot pixels. I have not checked if they are still there as they may have been mapped out automatically by the camera in the meantime. LrC was always able to map those out and I never saw them after importing into Adobe software.

Thank you for the response. I use Capture One Pro (on a mac) and that does have a pixel noise reduction tool;  perhaps I should live with it. Ken Rockwell's attitude is do just that. Strangely, however, unless I view the pictures at 100% the stuck pixels still show.

As the shutter speed I have tested it at is around 1/60 to 1/80 with ISO between 1000 and 3200, I dread to think what the picture would look like with a long shutter speed and higher ISO. I do not want to compromise, but unless someone tells me I am being unrealistic about expecting a 47mp sensor to be clear of stuck pixels, I will continue down the path of another swap and see what happens then. 

Edited by Marc B-C

10 minutes ago, Marc B-C said:

Thank you for the response. I use Capture One Pro (on a mac) and that does have a pixel noise reduction tool;  perhaps I should live with it. Ken Rockwell's attitude is do just that. Strangely, however, unless I view the pictures at 100% the stuck pixels still show.

As the shutter speed I have tested it at is around 1/60 to 1/80 with ISO between 1000 and 3200, I dread to think what the picture would look like with a long shutter speed and higher ISO. I do not want to compromise, but unless someone tells me I am being unrealistic about expecting a 47mp sensor to be clear of stuck pixels, I will continue down the path of another swap and see what happens then. 

No sensor is clear of stuck pixels. Most cameras have a way to map those stuck pixels in-camera, so that they are not visible to the user.

C1 has a way to handle stuck pixels: https://learn.captureone.com/blog-posts/how-to-fix-permanent-hot-pixels/

Long exposures are a different thing, use LENR to compensate.

If you share with me two or three files at different ISOs, I can look at them using LrC.

I have read that Q2 remaps those stuck pixels after a while. You may try shooting for a while and see if they disappear.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

I's say that every sensor has at least one stuck pixel. It's not relevant how it looks in Capture one at smaller magnification. It's relevant how it looks in the exported file. Export an image without changing the size and the stuck pixel should be gone....hopefully... 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SrMi said:

No sensor is clear of stuck pixels. Most cameras have a way to map those stuck pixels in-camera, so that they are not visible to the user.

C1 has a way to handle stuck pixels: https://learn.captureone.com/blog-posts/how-to-fix-permanent-hot-pixels/

Long exposures are a different thing, use LENR to compensate.

If you share with me two or three files at different ISOs, I can look at them using LrC.

I have read that Q2 remaps those stuck pixels after a while. You may try shooting for a while and see if they disappear.

Good luck.

Thanks SrMi, I did see note in your link but am just uncertain about whether to accept the current crop or not; certainly the dealer suggested it was poor quality control

1 hour ago, tom.w.bn said:

I's say that every sensor has at least one stuck pixel. It's not relevant how it looks in Capture one at smaller magnification. It's relevant how it looks in the exported file. Export an image without changing the size and the stuck pixel should be gone....hopefully... 

Thank you. I was looking at not just  100% but also 200%+. I will try the export idea and see what happens but will still give the dealer one more camera chance!

It seems that other than some spot healing or single pixel noise reduction, nothing makes a difference. I did find this thread here on the same subject, albeit for the Q2M

There is a potential solution for the Q2M at least on the way, but meanwhile I will stick with a second exchange as planned.

Just now, Beltane63 said:

Maybe this link will help. I use Lightroom and C1, Lightroom eliminates dead pixes automatically, in C1 one has the use a slider. https://learn.captureone.com/blog-posts/how-to-fix-permanent-hot-pixels/ This works also in C1 21

Thank you and I can use that, however, on a positive note you are the only person on both here and on a Q2 FB group that appears to have had the same problem. On that basis I will hold out for a new camera without the hot pixel issue. If that is not possible, I will use Leica repair per your other post in the Q2M thread and/or hold out for the rumoured firmware upgrade.

• Like 1

Hi again. 

This thread has caught my attention, and I decided to test my almost new Q2. Have to admit I basically don't know how to do that or what I am doing, but I made a couple of images of a smooth, dark grey surface, ISO1600, f8, 2 sec. Exported to Luminar 4, and did nothing but correct lens distortion (automatically), and magnified (cropped), around 100%. I found 5-8 of what is shown in the center of the image scattered around in the image. Is this the problem you have with your camera? Or are bright spots like this common in "all" digital cameras? 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

56 minutes ago, fumigatus said:

Hi again. 

This thread has caught my attention, and I decided to test my almost new Q2. Have to admit I basically don't know how to do that or what I am doing, but I made a couple of images of a smooth, dark grey surface, ISO1600, f8, 2 sec. Exported to Luminar 4, and did nothing but correct lens distortion (automatically), and magnified (cropped), around 100%. I found 5-8 of what is shown in the center of the image scattered around in the image. Is this the problem you have with your camera? Or are bright spots like this common in "all" digital cameras? 

This is the same problem, however, this is not totally unusual at high iso / long exposures such as your example. What happens if you try the same shot at iso 800? 

In my case, it is happening at iso800 and above with short 1/60 to 1/80 of a second shutter speeds. I have owned many digital cameras and have never had this problem on any of them although 26mp in the largest I have had. The more pixels on a sensor the chances of a dead / stuck pixel are greater. Having said that, only one person has come forward on here and elsewhere to say they have had the problem on their Q2 in similar exposure situations. Ken Rockwell suggests not worrying about it and edit the spots out. If many had come forward saying they have had this on new Q2s I would agree with him.

Apologies, I do not want to create an army of pixel peepers, if the camera works well and you love the photos it produces, not noticing this before, keep enjoying it. As it appears rare (not so rare on the Q2M per the link a few posts above) and both my Q2s were brand new and less than 5 days old / less than 10 exposures I am going the route of replacement.

Edited by Marc B-C

I understand, I guess I wouldn't notice if I hadn't seen this thread. I got curious, but having a tendency to get hangups, I will try "to forget" 😉

At ISO800, f1,7, 0,30 sec (handheld), I identified three spots in one image, and one in another. The latter was slightly out of focus.  

10 minutes ago, fumigatus said:

I understand, I guess I wouldn't notice if I hadn't seen this thread. I got curious, but having a tendency to get hangups, I will try "to forget" 😉

At ISO800, f1,7, 0,30 sec (handheld), I identified three spots in one image, and one in another. The latter was slightly out of focus.  

If it is out of focus, it will not be a hot pixel. If you use LR or Capture One you can edit these spots out if they are obvious in your photos.

• Thanks 1

Update: 

I had a note from Leica UK this morning (not the dealer I used). They advise that the Q2 does an automatic pixel refresh every two weeks which should sort the problem. There will be firmware released this spring (they did not have a firm date yet) that will allow users to manually refresh the pixels. The suggestion is I keep the current camera for the next couple of weeks to see if it resolves itself. I have agreed to that with the dealer I used.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1