TL23mm AND/OR Sigma 30mm?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It may just be a Spring time itch, but I’m wondering whether there’s any merit in adding a Sigma 30mm f.4 to my TL 23 f2 or whether they’re just too close in focal length to make sense. I already have an 11-23 an 18-56 and Sigma 56mm f1.4.

MTIA!

49 minutes ago, Le Chef said:

It may just be a Spring time itch, but I’m wondering whether there’s any merit in adding a Sigma 30mm f.4 to my TL 23 f2 or whether they’re just too close in focal length to make sense. I already have an 11-23 an 18-56 and Sigma 56mm f1.4.

MTIA!

No. Not a convincing choice.

13 minutes ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

I just ordered an 11-23, I am wondering if my TL 23 will just sit in the bag now. Will have to do some comparisons. I did just pick up a TTArtisan 35 f1.4 L mount, a tiny lens, $78, manual not AF. Not bad but just not a focal length I use much. Just an option to keep in mind.

I find I use both and enjoy using both. I think it can be a bit like going to a favorite watch (another dangerous affliction!) or particular item of clothing: you use it for a few days then switch. I’m continuing my “No Particular Place to Go” flaneur walking tour of my neighborhood and typically do 4-5 miles a day, cross-crossing from lake front to urban environments. The 11-23 is ideal for urban shooting (IMHO) particularly from low angles that test your knees!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

I just ordered an 11-23, I am wondering if my TL 23 will just sit in the bag now. Will have to do some comparisons. I did just pick up a TTArtisan 35 f1.4 L mount, a tiny lens, $78, manual not AF. Not bad but just not a focal length I use much. Just an option to keep in mind.

I think you’ll find you use both. I think of the 11-23 as an 11mm prime with the ability to zoom in as needed and the 23mm f2 as the more flexible  prime option at that focal length.  

Outdoors in good light the 11-23 can be used in place of the 23/2 unless you want to utilize the faster aperture to more separate the background than the zoom at 23mm and f4.5 is capable of. Indoors or at lower light levels the use of the prime is a much more obvious choice.

The bigger question is the bag you are using and how much room you have to carry all the options you want to have. The Tenba Sling bag I use with my CL outfit allows me to pick between 4-5 lenses I want to have access to so the three zooms and two prime options are typically what I’m totting around.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Gregm61:

I think you’ll find you use both. I think of the 11-23 as an 11mm prime with the ability to zoom in as needed and the 23mm f2 as the more flexible  prime option at that focal length.  

Outdoors in good light the 11-23 can be used in place of the 23/2 unless you want to utilize the faster aperture to more separate the background than the zoom at 23mm and f4.5 is capable of. Indoors or at lower light levels the use of the prime is a much more obvious choice.

The bigger question is the bag you are using and how much room you have to carry all the options you want to have. The Tenba Sling bag I use with my CL outfit allows me to pick between 4-5 lenses I want to have access to so the three zooms and two prime options are typically what I’m totting around.

I have a small Domke bag, right now the biggest lens in it is my Tokina 11-16, which the 11-23 will replace, and save some room. Otherwise it will have 55 f1.4 7Artisan a nice small lens, a 90 Elmarit or 105 Micro Nikkor, and a 135 Tele-Elmar, either the 23 or the 11-23 will be on the camera. 

Personally when I had the 23 cron and the 11-23 the cron was almost sold the same week.

I prefer the 35mm lux for anything the cron can do.

When I visited the Lakes in UK the 11-23 was the ultimate star of the show and when I switched to the S1R the 11-23 was the last lens I sold with a very heavy heart.

In fact, I can feel a little itch for another now I have a CL again :)

Not sure if it’s been noted already but the Sigma is a little soft at the edges. I was comparing some photos taken with the 18 and the 30, and it was noticeable. I’m not complaining for the price it’s sweet but I think the 23 has better IQ wide open 

Close focus capability of the Sigma 30 is a nice function if you like that.  I added the 28/2.8 Elmarit, but have kept the Sigma, still.  Obviously different size optic, but the 30/1.4 makes a nice "normal" at 45mm equivalent for when I want AF or close focus, or should need the extra light.

Edited by RustyBug

On 3/13/2021 at 2:50 PM, RustyBug said:

Close focus capability of the Sigma 30 is a nice function if you like that.  I added the 28/2.8 Elmarit, but have kept the Sigma, still.  Obviously different size optic, but the 30/1.4 makes a nice "normal" at 45mm equivalent for when I want AF or close focus, or should need the extra light.

At 52mm filter It also takes an inexpensive marumi macro