ELMARIT-TL 1:2,8/18 ASPH lens hood

@cirke I wonder is something shallower than the general purpose 39mm you linked, which might vignette, would be enough - even as low in profile as a filter ring with glass removed ( my MS-optics 28/2 has a hood that is about 6mm tall )

Below is the sort of flare I see with the 18mm TL and no hood.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...

i have already that one 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

thanks

• 2 months later...

Just as you said, I like a lens hood for protection, especially since I put a B+W clear pro filter on my 18 to protect the front element and it would certainly be prone to  flare without one.  The size it adds is of no consequence to me as I'm not trying to jam it in a pocket anyway. Plus, am I the only guy out here who thinks they look way cool??  But the 39 mm. size looks decidedly uncool surrounded by the lens, which is almost 60 mm. wide.  My solution is a 39 to 49 step up ring, and a B+W normal, not wide angle hood. Tried the WA but it's just too wide. The normal hood doesn't vignette and looks awesome, especially the fine German matte black paint.  I'm also enough of a snob that i like to see "Made in Germany" on it.  Try it!

39-52 is more logical as it is the diameter of the lens and matches the 18-56. Bu the lens is made to make the camera pocketable and a hood rather defeats the purpose. 

I just got the TL 18-56 and 23 both of which have a 52mm filter size.  The included hoods add too much length for my liking as it is supposed to be a compact system.  Like you, I prefer a hood for protection while carrying the camera.  However, I am also concerned about size. For both, I use the B+W rubber hood that can collapsed on itself should it vignette at wider angles and also when put back into my camera bag.  There is no 39mm rubber B+W hood but Heliopan makes one and the B&H site shows that it can also be collapsed.

Edited by ymc226

12 hours ago, cirke said:

I find the 18mm too small and not easy to fix and remove from the camera 

That is why it’s attached more or less permanently to my TL. 

• 1 month later...