Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone,
I am looking for a half case for my Leica Q2. I went through many posts and the idea is now to source all the good options available.

What I look for :
  • Must-have : protection, lightness, a grip, access to the memory card and battery + the case should come high enough to embrace the straps rings.
  • Nice-to-have : A cover for the LCD screen behind to keep the analog spirit of shooting only though the viewfinder and discovering later on how the image comes out.

I did a little benchmark of the options available :

• Arte di Mano
Pros : The best of the best (quality, fitting, options available)
Cons : Pricey (around 500 euros) and long delivery time (especially if you're in Europe as I am)

• Luigi cases
Pros : cheaper (around 300 euros), handmade + strap offered
Cons : Access the memory card and the battery through "slots" (basically holes in the leather)

• Angelo Pelle
Pros : cheaper (around 250 euros), handmade,
Cons : No grip and only one door to access the battery

I also read about Lim's case but it looks to bulky / heavy to me so it's not an option. Did I miss any other great options ? Any feedback on the options listed here ? Thanks and have a lovely week

1 hour ago, Alexia said:

I don't have the Q2 version but I have two Angelo Pelle cases, one in dark brown and one in black, and I am quite happy with them so far.  I got several compliments on the black case when I was shooting a car event on the weekend.

Do you have a grip on your covers ?  Any pictures of your covers to show ? Many thanks for the feedback

I have too Angelo Pelle cases - Q2M and M240.

Yes, no direct sd card access or grip on the Q2M, but I don't have the tripod socket installed, which makes it easy to slide the case our.

AdM has a lot of options, but it's  overpriced imo. Not sure if I would call them the best of best.....reading from feedback from other users. AP cases are very well made, but indeed I have no hands-on experience with AdM

57 minutes ago, nwphil said:

I have too Angelo Pelle cases - Q2M and M240.

Yes, no direct sd card access or grip on the Q2M, but I don't have the tripod socket installed, which makes it easy to slide the case our.

AdM has a lot of options, but it's  overpriced imo. Not sure if I would call them the best of best.....reading from feedback from other users. AP cases are very well made, but indeed I have no hands-on experience with AdM

Thanks for the feedback ! I agree with you, AdM seems overpriced to me too but I have mostly come across positive feedback about them, what sort of negative feedback have you read ?

I am really considering an Angelo Pelle case now...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, newtoleica said:

I'm not bothered by battery and card access as I can slip the case off easily. I want a light simple case that covers the strap lugs and has a small grip. Artisan and Artist is great.

Great ! I had completely forgotten about Artisan and Artist but it is indeed an excellent option. Thanks !

I recommend to look at this case...

Good quality (at least for me)...good tactile feeling.

Separate battery & SD card doors.

This is how it looks with my camera:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I hate any case really and cameras are for using but I love my Q2 too much to leave it naked (I used my Q without such fear) so I got this, it's excellent, it even has a slight inward tilt at the top so that it sits tight all round.  Easy access to everything and the tripod mount remains usable.  No need to spend a silly amount on a case

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07QXKXN4V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 hours ago, mikegml said:

I hate any case really and cameras are for using but I love my Q2 too much to leave it naked (I used my Q without such fear) so I got this, it's excellent, it even has a slight inward tilt at the top so that it sits tight all round.  Easy access to everything and the tripod mount remains usable.  No need to spend a silly amount on a case

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07QXKXN4V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's  a more minimalistic design and price for sure - plenty  left for buying  an extra battery or two

I'm also in Europe and think you have found all relevant options.

I have a camo set from angelo pelle and i can really recommend it! The SD-Card change is a pain with most half cases but arte di mano didn't respond to my order so i saved a lot of money and went with angelo :)

keep in mind the case can't be used with the leica thumbgrip

Pic is camo orange from angelo

I've recently replaced my OEM grip with this.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/687563266/lims-genuine-leather-camera-half-case?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=lims+q2+case&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&organic_search_click=1&frs=1

The quality is excellent.  You have a case,  bottom access, a built in Arca Swiss plate and grip for $135.

I need to change my avatar!

Edited by bat1959
More info.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, bat1959 said:

I've recently replaced my OEM grip with this.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/687563266/lims-genuine-leather-camera-half-case?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=lims+q2+case&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&organic_search_click=1&frs=1

The quality is excellent.  You have a case,  bottom access, a built in Arca Swiss plate and grip for $135.

It looks good but from what I read, a lot of people are finding it a bit bulky and heavy so it's interesting to hear your positive feedback about it. I ended up ordering an half case by Angelo Pelle. I got in touch with him and he is starting to sell a new model with doors to both the battery and the memory card. I'll post a picture of it as soon as I get it !

32 minutes ago, Corto Maltese said:

It looks good but from what I read, a lot of people are finding it a bit bulky and heavy so it's interesting to hear your positive feedback about it. I ended up ordering an half case by Angelo Pelle. I got in touch with him and he is starting to sell a new model with doors to both the battery and the memory card. I'll post a picture of it as soon as I get it !

They do good work but can be hit or miss as far as being perfectionists, so check it out thoroughly when you get it. My last leather strap from them had the logo stamp completely off-center (too high) on the strap pad.

Edited by hdmesa

16 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

They do good work but can be hit or miss as far as being perfectionists, so check it out thoroughly when you get it. My last leather strap from them had the logo stamp completely off-center (too high) on the strap pad.

Thanks for the feedback, I will check it carefully. Did you get a replacement for your strap ?