Convert 1 or more files from M8.2 DNG to TIFF

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would like to edit the images from my M8.2 in DxO PhotoLab 4, but because PL4 doesn't have a way to select the Leica M8 camera, the editor won't work with them.  One option is to convert my DNG files from the M8.2 into TIFF - anyone here know a program that can do this?

Plan B is to continue to use Adobe Lightroom, which works with these DNG images, and I'm sure I can save them in Tiff format.  If I ever stop renting Lightroom though, this is a dead end street.

Anyone here know of a utility that can take one (or more) image in Leica M8 format, and. convert them from DNG into TIFF ?

(Or, can I edit the EXIF data from my M8.2 images, and change it to M10 or even Nikon?). That would get me around this issue.  I downloaded EXIF EDITOR, but changing the one setting for type of camera isn't enough - there are probably more places I would need to change.....)

did you try converting it to a "newer" DNG with adobe dng converter ? then maybe PL4 will read the file ?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, frame-it said:

did you try converting it to a "newer" DNG with adobe dng converter ? then maybe PL4 will read the file ?

Yes, didn't help.  PL4 still knew it was a Leica M8.2 camera,  I assume from the EXIF data.

If you are bulk converting from .dng to .tiff, why not just use .jpg in the first place?  .tiff won't be a raw file so you have lost all the advantages of raw; .tiff can be 16 bit though.  You also realize that some profile has been used in the .dng to .tiff conversion.  It may not be the best profile.

4 hours ago, lucasmacad said:

Having the same problem myself as a PL4 user. I've just settled into using Affinity Photo to edit the M8 DNG files for now. Not ideal, but until PL supports the M8 files it's the best option for me 

I did this last time using Affinity Photo.  Worked well.

I don't want to use 'jpg' or any other compressed file.

Using TIFF seemed like a reasonable alternative for now.

I don't expect DxO to ever support the Leica M8 cameras - there weren't that many sold, it's now over ten years old, and they have many more "current" cameras on their list, such as Fuji with the X-Trans Sensor.

I thought I could "cheat" and disguise my M8 image as a M10 image, which is supported.  Or even a Nikon image.  Maybe DxO knew people would try to do what I'm trying to do, and they set PL4 to search for several other things in the DNG file that we're not aware of.  Maybe I should empty ALL the data in the EXIF area, and see if that works.  

I was thinking a utility to convert the Leica DNG file into a TIFF file might be the easiest option.  Need to check if Leica has created software for the M8, that can open those images, and export them as a TIFF file......

Hi Mike

I had the same issue when using PL4 and the M10-M and M10-R were not supported (it might still the case). I switched to C1.

At the time, I looked at it as well and used 2 options:

- Apple's Photos app: import the Raw files and export them as TIFF.

- Raw Therapee which is free and has many great functionalities (https://rawtherapee.com)

Hope it helps! 

Edited by Hanno

I finally found a good solution to my problem.  It will work for anyone using macOS, working with photos taken with a camera DxO PhotoLab doesn't recognize.

1. Open the .dng image(s) in Preview.
  2. Select "File",
  3. Select "Export".
  4. Once the image is open in Preview, click on "File",  and then select "Export".
  5. At the bottom, I selected Format: TIFF, Depth: 16 Bits/Channel, and Compression: None.
  6. At the top of the window, I selected the folder I want the TIFF image to be saved in.
  7. Click on "Save".

It's easier to do than to describe.

Results were excellent.  Finder created a large TIFF file that worked with PhotoLab 4.

13 hours ago, MikeMyers said:

I finally found a good solution to my problem.  It will work for anyone using macOS, working with photos taken with a camera DxO PhotoLab doesn't recognize.

1. Open the .dng image(s) in Preview.
  2. Select "File",
  3. Select "Export".
  4. Once the image is open in Preview, click on "File",  and then select "Export".
  5. At the bottom, I selected Format: TIFF, Depth: 16 Bits/Channel, and Compression: None.
  6. At the top of the window, I selected the folder I want the TIFF image to be saved in.
  7. Click on "Save".

It's easier to do than to describe.

Results were excellent.  Finder created a large TIFF file that worked with PhotoLab 4.

I am not sure that is the best way to demosaic the M8.2 files. Does anyone have experience with Apple's demosaicing engine? Once you transform RAW to TIFF, you lose some processing flexibility. It may not matter for you, though.

The biggest thing I lose is the noise elimination built into DxO PhotoLab 4.  The automatic correction for camera and lens issues can't be done, since PL4 doesn't know about built-in errors in the M8.2 Leica (although it does know about the lens errors from my old Leica lenses).

In terms of image quality, I'm sure you are right - but PL4 was designed to work with raw files.....   but everything else in PL4 should work just like when I edit my M10 files.

Yes, RawTherapee works fine with the M8.2 images.  I've used that, and Dark Table.  The "problem" is that I would rather do my editing in PL4.  At some point I will dump my Adobe software, so that will be gone.  .....but the biggest "problem" is me, not the software, as I find myself forgetting how to use image editors.  Between image editors and video editors, my brain is refusing to remember all the small details for so much software.  

I'm far from being the expert on these things.  Heck, I even struggled to get the right exposure settings with my M3.  I'm getting spoiled with so much automated software that wants to do the job for me.  I would like to select one image editor (PL4) and one video editor (Final Cut) and ignore the rest.  I was hoping to select one camera (my M10) and "forget" the others.  Unfortunately, I'm doing the forgetting all too well.

Back to my own little world - I've been processing the M8.2 images in Lightroom or Capture One, and even tried Affinity Photo.  I would prefer to use one tool, and my favorite right now is PhotoLab 4.  With this new way of converting the Leica M8.2 images from Leica's "dng" format to TIFF, that problem is solved.  Of course, you could ask me why I'm using the M8.2 at all, now that I've got the M10.  I don't have a logical answer to that.  If I was smarter, I would ignore all my old cameras, and maybe ignore my Nikon cameras as well, and stick with the M10....

5 hours ago, SrMi said:

I am not sure that is the best way to demosaic the M8.2 files. Does anyone have experience with Apple's demosaicing engine? Once you transform RAW to TIFF, you lose some processing flexibility. It may not matter for you, though.

I think you are correct.  I'm hoping that the Apple software is "good enough" for my editing.  Does it matter for me?  So far, no, but maybe someone with more experience at this will understand the limitations of Apple's software.  However, the real "fix" for this, is to forget about my M8.2 completely.  I rarely use it anyway, but I'm stubborn, and think I want to be able to use it.

Would it help if I post an original DNG image and a converted TIFF image here?  From what 'jaapv' wrote, I'm hoping the TIFF image is "good enough".  I certainly don't want to use the M8.2 'jpg' images, which are pretty much useless.

9 hours ago, jaapv said:

In the end there is very little difference between DNG and TIFF. I doubt whether you lose anything using uncompressed TIFF.

In terms that both are containers to hold image data and metadata you are correct.   However, TIFF does not hold raw image data where as a DNG might.   When converting from raw to TIFF you are baking in a specific application of the current demosaicing algorithm to the raw data.   You might not care because you are happy with the results.   Or you might care that you've thrown away the possibility of applying some future improvement in demosaicing.   Either approach is fine, but be aware of the tradeoffs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MikeMyers said:

The biggest thing I lose is the noise elimination built into DxO PhotoLab 4.  The automatic correction for camera and lens issues can't be done, since PL4 doesn't know about built-in errors in the M8.2 Leica (although it does know about the lens errors from my old Leica lenses).

In terms of image quality, I'm sure you are right - but PL4 was designed to work with raw files.....   but everything else in PL4 should work just like when I edit my M10 files.

Yes, RawTherapee works fine with the M8.2 images.  I've used that, and Dark Table.  The "problem" is that I would rather do my editing in PL4.  At some point I will dump my Adobe software, so that will be gone.  .....but the biggest "problem" is me, not the software, as I find myself forgetting how to use image editors.  Between image editors and video editors, my brain is refusing to remember all the small details for so much software.  

I'm far from being the expert on these things.  Heck, I even struggled to get the right exposure settings with my M3.  I'm getting spoiled with so much automated software that wants to do the job for me.  I would like to select one image editor (PL4) and one video editor (Final Cut) and ignore the rest.  I was hoping to select one camera (my M10) and "forget" the others.  Unfortunately, I'm doing the forgetting all too well.

Back to my own little world - I've been processing the M8.2 images in Lightroom or Capture One, and even tried Affinity Photo.  I would prefer to use one tool, and my favorite right now is PhotoLab 4.  With this new way of converting the Leica M8.2 images from Leica's "dng" format to TIFF, that problem is solved.  Of course, you could ask me why I'm using the M8.2 at all, now that I've got the M10.  I don't have a logical answer to that.  If I was smarter, I would ignore all my old cameras, and maybe ignore my Nikon cameras as well, and stick with the M10....

Topaz Denoise AI is far superior to the DxO noise elimination...