Leica MP Hotshoe Cover Replacement

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi. Managed to misplace my hotshoe cover on my MP. Probably disappeared when I was swapping between pocket-wizards etc. 

I cannot seem to locate any genuine replacement parts for the MP online and don't want dodgey third-party brands. 

I am based in AUS but will happily pay shipping from anywhere.

Edited by maxfairclough
shipping

4 hours ago, UliWer said:

I think you mean this one (for the digital M-P Type 240):

https://leicacamerausa.com/hotshoe-cover-m-typ240.html

You may find it by an Australian Leica Store.

It should fit in the hotshoe of a film MP as well - and the price also fits a "real" MP. 

Doesn't the M240 hotshoe cover have a bit that plugs into the EVF socket? On the MP there is an ordinary flash sync socket in the same place. Maybe Leica have changed what comes with the camera but my MP never had a hotshoe cover.

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, 250swb said:

Doesn't the M240 hotshoe cover have a bit that plugs into the EVF socket? On the MP there is an ordinary flash sync socket in the same place. Maybe Leica have changed what comes with the camera but my MP never had a hotshoe cover.

I've never heard of an original hotshoe cover for the MP but just out of interest I tried the one from my M240 - it does fit but will not slide in completely due to the small screw preventing further movement (see pic)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, maxfairclough said:

Turns out the Leica M-P doesn't have a hotshoe cover and that I have somehow dreamt it up haha. I have asked so many people including my store. I swore I did have one! Haha.

Hello Max,

Welcome to the Forum.

It could be that the camera that you have came with a hot shoe cover that someone put on it. The World is a mysterious place. Not to worry.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, maxfairclough said:

Turns out the Leica M-P doesn't have a hotshoe cover and that I have somehow dreamt it up haha. I have asked so many people including my store. I swore I did have one! Haha.

Hi Max

I have a cover on my M-P Typ 240, which I think came with my new camera.  It may have come the same time with the Visoflex EVF 2, but I don't think so as the Visoflex has a separate foot cover.

The correct hot-shoe accessory cover is shown by UliWer in post # 3.

I lost mine for a few months until I found it, having been put in a "safe" place.. ;)

Hope you find yours.

• Thanks 1

This thread is in the FILM “proper MP” section of the forum.

Film MPs did not come with hot shoe covers

M-P 240s ( a completely different camera ) came with covers to protect the EVF connection which slid into the hot shoe to secure them to the camera. The one linked to in post number 3 above.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, david strachan said:

Yes, a mistake by maxfairclough in his original post calling his camera an MP. He corrects the name in post#7 calling his camera a Leica M-P, i thought that was clear enough.

Clarity? He originally called the camera the correct name, an MP , his second post was a mistake and after 'M-P' had been introduced into the conversation in passing. An additional clue is in the photo posted by romualdo that clearly shows there is no hyphen between the M and the P. This is the film section of the forum, not the digital section.

• Like 1

I have looked through maxfaircloughs past posts. He talks of film in his MP camera, not an M-P (digital).

So Steve (250swb) is correct there is not special hotshoe cover, and further the M-P cover will, of course, not fit. My apologies for a misled protracted discussion.

• Like 1

There is however one thing that is often missing from a second hand MP, the second alternative style battery cover that came with a new camera. The unexpected largesse from Leica in packing two battery covers must make the unused one the most misplaced component in Leica history, unless there are any other candidates?