The 50mm Summilux pre-ASPH image thread

evikne

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Portrait in natural light, wide open

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M10 with 50mm Summilux pre-ASPH (E46)

• Like 12

On the swing, wide open

• Like 11

• 2 months later...

• Like 7

• Like 9

1 hour ago, evikne said:

It’s not the first time I tell you, but you need to mount that lens on a analog M and start shooting some film. 
You owe it to your photography. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, evikne said:

I have previously expressed a desire to try analog photography, and I guess he is eager for me to try this. 😄

Because I feel his photography style suits well to film and that the mood he can create with film would make his images ever more impressive. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Back from service, CLA and 6-bit coding. My favorite lens is better than ever!

Edited by evikne
  • Like 16

54 minutes ago, poli said:

I have just ordered a 50 summilux (e43). Mainly for my analog m. I believe optically the same as the e46? Anyway, as soon as it arrives some pics will follow!

Btw: love the photos posted here!

First batch (V1), until 1844xxx, is different. After V2, I think they draw the same, but the V3 E46 has a 70cm MFD, while yours should not focus closer than 1m.

1 hour ago, poli said:

I have just ordered a 50 summilux (e43). Mainly for my analog m. […] Anyway, as soon as it arrives some pics will follow!

Btw: love the photos posted here!

Thanks! And I am looking forward to see your photos here in this thread!

On 11/28/2021 at 4:47 AM, evikne said:

Back from service, CLA and 6-bit coding. My favorite lens is better than ever!

Nice one @evikne.  Good to see you have the lens back and enjoying. What performance differences are you noticing since the work on your lens ? Just curious really if you are noticing things as I know you always loved this lens . 

Sorry if I missed the update elsewhere :)

Edited by grahamc

29 minutes ago, grahamc said:

Nice one @evikne.  Good to see you have the lens back and enjoying. What performance differences are you noticing since the work on your lens ? Just curious really if you are noticing things as I know you always loved this lens . 

Sorry if I missed the update elsewhere :)

Thank you! After the CLA I experience less flare and focus shift, and everything feels sharper and more controlled. After being disassembled and reassembled, it actually feels like a completely different lens, and I feel an urge to "rediscover" it. The focus ring is also a bit tighter. I actually liked it when it was looser, but I guess I'm getting used to it.

Edited by evikne
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, evikne said:

Thank you! After the CLA I experience less flare and focus shift, and everything feels sharper and more controlled. After being disassembled and reassembled, it actually feels like a completely different lens, and I feel an urge to "rediscover" it. The focus ring is also a bit tighter. I actually liked it when it was looser, but I guess I'm getting used to it.

Great ! sounds very nice, enjoy :)

Evikne, 

These pictures really show the OOF areas to be very pleasant to me and the majority of my pictures are environmental portraits.  I do like the background blur at full aperture more than the ASPH that I currently use.  Currently, there is both a V2 and V3 Summilux for sale, both mint.  Superficially, I do like the vintage external looks of the V2 better but know that it has a 1m vs 0.7m minimum focusing distance.  Are there other important differences between the 2 versions?  The internet says the optical formulas are the same.  My 50 Lux ASPH is silver and the V3 Summilux V3 for sale is silver as well; too close in looks for me to tell them apart. 

3 hours ago, ymc226 said:

Evikne, 

These pictures really show the OOF areas to be very pleasant to me and the majority of my pictures are environmental portraits.  I do like the background blur at full aperture more than the ASPH that I currently use.  Currently, there is both a V2 and V3 Summilux for sale, both mint.  Superficially, I do like the vintage external looks of the V2 better but know that it has a 1m vs 0.7m minimum focusing distance.  Are there other important differences between the 2 versions?  The internet says the optical formulas are the same.  My 50 Lux ASPH is silver and the V3 Summilux V3 for sale is silver as well; too close in looks for me to tell them apart. 

Hi, and thanks for the question. 

I have read that the v2 has a longer focus throw than v3, but I haven't tried it myself. Some people seem to prefer the more accurate focusing with a longer focus throw, but it will also be slower. Personally, I prefer a faster focusing.

Good luck with your choice of lens!