The 50mm Summilux pre-ASPH image thread

evikne

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M10 w/50mm Summilux pre-ASPH (E46)

• Like 3

M10 w/50mm Summilux pre-ASPH (E46)

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Artin said:

As much as I tried I somehow did not get along with this lens .. the long focus throw and the 1 meter CFD just could not love it. 
now I purchased a Sumarit 1.5 and the same story. I think I have come to the conclusion that I prefer the modern Leica Lenses in general 

The pre-ASPH v3/E46 has a shorter focus throw and 0.7m MFD. But of course it can't compete with the modern lenses if that's what you prefer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Artin said:

I have never had the E46. I may like that lens more then the e43 models that I had. That last one I had a  month ago was mint e43 70th anniversary beautiful to hold a look at but just could not love the feel of it.  I guess I am just used to focus tabs. 

I have all the versions, collected over time. For quick focus speed you’ll be better off with the E46 0.7M and current ASPH versions. I also like to get closer, the 0.7M MFD helps.
My current fav is the E43 ASPH Black Chrom variant. I never use hoods, so the monstrous hood is inconsequential to me. No tab though if that’s a must for you 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, Artin said:

Naaa what I miss  mostly is the 50 Lux asph, the 75 Lux and the 35 FLE  (which is on order )

I am buying back the 50 Lux on Monday.  And in a few weeks will pick up a 75 Lux. I don’t miss the 28 Summicron that I sold but I do miss the WATE a lot and that has been tough to find . After I replace these Lenses then I will dabble into the Classics. Like the 35 pre asph. Maybe the 35 Cron V4. 

The 75 Lux is something I'm interested in, look forward to see the shots.

Artin did you sell all these lenses recently to go to SL series or something?   

I remember you re-collecting a bunch of lenses around the release of M11 and this seems like a de ja vu ?   None of my business really but the ability to sell/trade these lenses quickly is always interesting to me - I find them very hard to part with . 

Edited by grahamc

M2 & Lux 50mm chrome v2 shot on Portra 400

Had been trying hard to make this lens flare, and finally got a shot that shows its flare. It’s incredible how flare resistant the luxes are compared to the summicron lenses. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, grahamc said:

The 75 Lux is something I'm interested in, look forward to see the shots.

Artin did you sell all these lenses recently to go to SL series or something?   

I remember you re-collecting a bunch of lenses around the release of M11 and this seems like a de ja vu ?   None of my business really but the ability to sell/trade these lenses quickly is always interesting to me - I find them very hard to part with . 

I rarely sell any lenses, and then there are lenses I will never sell. The 75 Lux is one of them. 

In case of interest, and apologies for the off-topic

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheGodParticle/Hari said:

I rarely sell any lenses, and then there are lenses I will never sell. The 75 Lux is one of them. 

In case of interest, and apologies for the off-topic

I shoot rarely with my ‘lux 75, but I when I take it, despite weigh and difficult focusing, when I nail a shot shot wide open, the creamy / painterly bokeh is just amazing.

I will never sell it either 

• Like 2

Unfortunately I sold my 75 Lux, but I miss it a lot and it's the first lens I will buy back if I ever get the opportunity again. It makes a perfect match to my 35 and 50 mm Mandler lenses.

It's almost three lenses in one:

• Stopped down a little it's a very sharp telephoto lens.
  • The 1:8 reproduction ratio is great for close-up photography.
  • And of course: wide open it's one of Leica's very best portrait lenses.
  • Like 3

Back to the 50mm Summilux pre-ASPH – My daughter put on some Halloween makeup before going to school. 😄

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Artin said:

Don’t worry it’s coming most likely by this weekend and I just love the Lux but for now here is a teaser 

it is by far the finest portrait lens made ! Ever

Great Artin.  I know for sure I would love the lens.  

For now, my portrait lens is the 90:2 v3 also by Mandler and really nice, sits well with the lenses we discuss here.  The truth is I don't use it much 

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 1

50 Summilux pre-Asph in LTM version, made in 1999 for the Japanese market; Leica M240

Edited by robert_parker
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Artin said:

Funny you mention that lens, I picked one up a month ago in mint shape.. Have not used yet but will soon 

the Biggest problem is I am buying a new lens every few days making up for all I sold in July its Crazy. in the last 3 months I have bought 10 M Lenses , 11 R lenses and 4 SL Af lenses   Thats 25 Lenses in 12 weeks  Talk about Chronic GAS

Gosh that's much worse than my GAS . .  But well worth it I'm sure.  Here's the 90:3 v3 on 10-P.  As I said I don't use it much, so I only have the cat pic handy right now

For anyone interested in the 90, it matches absolutely perfectly with my 50:2 v4 and 35:2 v4 , which should expected as same year of release by same designer.  

(The main reason I bought this was that I have the 35 & 50 both in chrome, and this lens in chrome is just built superbly) 

OK, that's probably enough 90 talk in the 50 lux thread :D

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 2