Sigma Art 24mm f1.4 Thoughts?

Chris W

I just got the 24mm f3.5 yesterday and so far it seems very good. Maybe not ready for two generations down the line (80mp etc), but it is still very good on 47mp, all the way to the edges. I borrowed a friends 21mm Super Elmar and the Leica has more snap on center, but the Sigma is sharper across the field (at least on the SL2), and the Sigma also seems to be rather better up close. The build is very good too. I think it is going to be a great lens, particularly for the money. The only slightly awkward comments: It is a bit hard to mount the lens as it is rather small and the focusing ring and aperture ring turn when you are mounting the lens...there is not really a good place to grab the lens. Furthermore, you cannot easily get the metal magnetic cap off the lens when the hood is on there, so it is kind of a choice between the metal cap or the hood. But those niggles aside, it is a small price to pay for a very solid and well built lens which is optically strong, a native mount, looks good on the camera and extremely cheap in comparison to Leica options (which are either zooms that cost eight to ten times as much or manual focus primes that cost 5-7 times as much and do not seem to be better).

Edited by Stuart Richardson
  • Thanks 2