Can we talk about Voigtlander Lenses?

kivis

Which Summilux?

"Summilux" just means "f/1.4 or thereabouts" - it does not signify some specific look or quality level or "experience." There have been quite a few "Summiluxes" since 1960 or thereabouts - all different experiences.

Which Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 - version I, version I M-mount, version II?

A Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II will be a "different" experience than a Leica 50mm Summilux ASPH (or a Leitz 50mm Summilux non-ASPH). It will still be as "full" an experience as you want it to be. ;)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kivis said:

Just bought a Leica M-A (yeah!!), but can't afford a Summilux. Am I missing the "full" experience using a Voigtlander 50mm f1.5 on my new rig?

In short “no”. 

The recent VM lenses are delivering some fabulous results and the price point is hugely appealing. Yes, it’s lovely to shoot with a 35mm or 50mm summilux, but the Nokton 50mm or 35mm deliver a lovely rendering. I know some people will choose the 35mm 1.4 VM because it has a lovely and unique rendering. 

I have a number of VM lenses and love using them as part of a wider Leica setup. 

So don’t get hung up on it, buy what you can afford get out and shoot and enjoy the whole rangefinder experience. 

(for what it’s worth, if you can then go with V2 of the 1.5)

• Like 1

Read this Post..by Harpomatic

Harpomatic
  • Erfahrener Benutzer
  • Harpomatic
  • Members
  •  
  • 244 posts

Hello everyone,

as I mentioned before I have been working on a comparison of Leica M 50mm lenses.

I compared 10 of them. I ended up with an enormous amount of information and really long articles.

You can read the whole thing, only the summaries, or only the conclusions.

I am posting it here because I hope it's going to be a good resource for the community, clarifying quite a few doubts and answering a lot of questions that are often asked here. I would love to see a discussion coming out of it here on the forum, we all have different opinions and my conclusion might differ from yours. If so, do tell! I want conversation!

The article is in 4 parts:

https://www.47-degree.com/focus-shift/leica-m-50mm-lens-comparison-part-1, the introduction and first tests,

https://www.47-degree.com/focus-shift/leica-m-50mm-lens-comparison-part-2, the technical analysis,

https://www.47-degree.com/focus-shift/leica-m-50mm-lens-comparison-part-3, the bokeh and portrait rendering, 

https://www.47-degree.com/focus-shift/leica-m-50mm-lens-comparison-part-4, the conclusions.

The lenses in the article are, of course all 50mm:

Nokton 1.1

Nokton 1.2

Nokton 1.5

Nokton 1.5 II

Summilux ASPH

Summicron v5

Zeiss Planar

Zeiss C Sonnar

7Artisans 1.1

TTArtisans 1.4

Enjoy!B

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 3 Stunden schrieb lexontario:

Read this Post..by Harpomatic

Harpomatic
  • Erfahrener Benutzer
  • Harpomatic
  • Members
  •  
  • 244 posts

Hello everyone,

as I mentioned before I have been working on a comparison of Leica M 50mm lenses.

I compared 10 of them. I ended up with an enormous amount of information and really long articles.

You can read the whole thing, only the summaries, or only the conclusions.

I am posting it here because I hope it's going to be a good resource for the community, clarifying quite a few doubts and answering a lot of questions that are often asked here. I would love to see a discussion coming out of it here on the forum, we all have different opinions and my conclusion might differ from yours. If so, do tell! I want conversation!

The article is in 4 parts:

https://www.47-degree.com/focus-shift/leica-m-50mm-lens-comparison-part-1, the introduction and first tests,

https://www.47-degree.com/focus-shift/leica-m-50mm-lens-comparison-part-2, the technical analysis,

https://www.47-degree.com/focus-shift/leica-m-50mm-lens-comparison-part-3, the bokeh and portrait rendering, 

https://www.47-degree.com/focus-shift/leica-m-50mm-lens-comparison-part-4, the conclusions.

This is an outstanding comparison, never read anything comparable. From my experience I can confirm your test results, as far as I have experienced a few of the chosen lenses. The latest Voigtländer lenses are really a joy to use. My latest experience is the 35mm 1,2 Nokton, simply outstanding ! Many thanks for the effort you invested in this testing, a really wothwhile read !

You would miss some unique rendering from the Summilux but you are still having full experience on the Voigt50/1.5. At wide open to f2.8, Voigtlander lens quality is still behind the Summilux but not so much. You would see some purple fringing and soft corners at f1.5 and f2.0 on the 50/1.5.

If you mind that one, go for Voigtlander 50/2 APO Lanthar. Problems have been corrected, not perfect but great results nonetheless.

Edited by sutlore

6 hours ago, FrozenInTime said:

If you like a front heavy lens with a stiff and sticky focus action then the 50mm Summilux is the one for you.

I still think the Summilux 50mm ASPH is the best general purpose lens for M, in sharpness, flare control and zero focus shift. The voigtlander 50mm 1.2 is a good budget choice. 

Saying all of that if you are shooting film there is less need to get the best lens. You could be well served with a summicron or summarit, or one of the many 50mm voigtlander or zeiss. 

This reminds me to take the 50/1.5 Nokton out on the M Monochrom. I bought a set of color filters for it.

This is with the 1950s Nokton, made for the Voigtlander Prominent. I have the adapters to use it on M-Mount now.

Will be interesting to test against the modern Noktons made by Cosina, I have the Cosina/Voigtlander 50/1.5 Nokton in LTM and the new v2 Nokton.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, kivis said:

Just bought a Leica M-A (yeah!!), but can't afford a Summilux. Am I missing the "full" experience using a Voigtlander 50mm f1.5 on my new rig?

I would suggest you try the Voigtlander 50mm f1.5 MC II, get it from a retailer that allows returns. B&H has 30 days option.

I use this lens to walk around on a digital camera, M10-P or SL2. I don't shoot film anymore, but on digital the details are great.

This is probably the smallest 50mm 1.4/5 lens I ever seen, that make is a no brainer to carry it all the time on a camera.  If you want a fast lens look and still want to shot in lower light on film this lens should be good. the only downside go this lens is Chromatic aberration wide open, and it can't always be corrected in digital. On film you don't increase contrast in post processing so much and the CA is much less visible. Many fast lenses have CA, I have the 0.95 Noctilux and the CA is always present wide open, but when you shoot I just consider what is more important , the look of 1.4 or a clean photo, I will decide in the moment and most of the time go for the look.

Summilux a special, I had the latest for many years. It is not perfect. I eventually I exchanged it for the Black Chrome version, It is heavier and bigger and has a lens shade that comes off sometimes, but to me seams better corrected then the regular ASPH.

Said all that the Voigtlander 1.5 II is this a lens I will pick up daily on walks on M10. I am not really a f 2.0 lens person, if you are just pick one of the APO options,  even if I have the Summicron-SL 50 for SL2, it is just a little boring look sometime.

• Like 1

That Millennium Nikkor with the Amedeo adapter is a particularly beautiful set up. I have quite a few 50 mm lenses including a full house of Summicrons and Summiluxes, but the Millennium Nikkor renders in an especially attractive way. And the Amedeo adapter is a work of art in itself. 

Edited by Twasi
  • Like 1

One shouldn't generalize about Voigtlander lenses. Historically most of them are OK but not outstanding, then there are a few newer aspherical that seem to be far better than average. The new 50mm F1.5 VM II ASPH is quite good indeed. Have not tried the new APO-Lanthar but it couldn't possibly be better than the Apo-Summicron, which is smaller and easier to handle. On a budget you should also look at Zeiss lenses. They have more fall-off in the far corners beyond the 15mm circle,  but otherwise are more or less equal to the Leica models. The Leica lenses hold their sharpness right up to the edges. 

Edited by Twasi

2 hours ago, Twasi said:

One shouldn't generalize about Voigtlander lenses. Historically most of them are OK but not outstanding, then there are a few newer aspherical that seem to be far better than average. The new 50mm F1.5 VM II ASPH is quite good indeed. Have not tried the new APO-Lanthar but it couldn't possibly be better than the Apo-Summicron, which is smaller and easier to handle. On a budget you should also look at Zeiss lenses. They have more fall-off in the far corners beyond the 15mm circle,  but otherwise are more or less equal to the Leica models. The Leica lenses hold their sharpness right up to the edges. 

One should not generalize about zeiss lenses.

Technically, perhaps. Artistically, probably not. Take time to learn what your lens does well for you, learn it’s faults for your photography. With that background you will be able to determine which lens would perhaps serve you better. A technically more perfect lens is not always the “better” lens.