Gimp question

Looking forward to the answers here. Part of the reason I spend a bit more than I could on cameras and particularly lenses is that their quality is good enough to give me a look I want without having to spend lots of time in PP. That being the case, I’m wondering whether it’s worth continuing to subscribe to Adobe. I’ve tried Raw Therapee, that is just fine for M9 files and will try out GIMP this week and report back here.

I have installed GIMP and have played with it a little.  Then I thought "why am I playing with GIMP when I have photos to process with Photoshop?"  I did the same thing with Capture One.  If the day would ever come when I had to give up Photoshop, I would chose GIMP.

Ok tried Gimp and as someone used to PS/LR, I didn’t find it intuitive. Raw Therapee, as a free product I would say is better, more similar to LR in terms of being straightforward and it was fine in terms of processing my M-E 220 files.  However I am hardly the most intelligent person on this forum, so your experience may vary as regards Gimp being intuitive but that was my experience.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You have to compare apples to apples.  The image processing part of LR (Develop) is Adobe Camera Raw.  So the comparison of Raw Therapee to Lightroom is valid; at their heart they are both raw converters.  Photoshop and GIMP go way beyond the capabilities of those two programs.  Has anyone ever called Photoshop user friendly or self-explaining?  I would be surprised if GIMP were user friendly or self-explaining.  I would word the criticism as that PS users will not find it an easy transition from PS to GIMP.

• Like 1

In principle I support open software, but have kept  the pre -nstalled Windows on my laptop instead of installing  Linux in order to maintain my ancient Photoshop installation (not ghe subscription version), mainly bevcause I am used to it. However when Gimp became able to handle 16 bit HDR i started to use it more . With Leitz   R- and M optics, as opposed to others, seofware correrction of  deliberate design compromises is unnecessary.

Iin the future I may abandon Windows altogether ,  due to its inrtrusive programmes and blocking total   control over ones own machine and  many unpredictable updates (such as blocking the use of  older Net asssisted storage ("for my own protection" or " to improve user experience")

p.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

When I first got into digital I used Photoshop and Lightroom, which I found incredibly hard to understand (my fault not theirs). I eventually switched to a Linux platform from Windows after using XP on an old computer for years. At that time I picked up GIMP and found it easier to understand and use than PS, although not as functional IMHO. At the beginning of this summer I upgraded my 16 y/o computer, and installed the GIMP for Windows, which I'm still learning. Not as easy as the earlier Linux version I was used to, but I'll probably stick with it rather than PS.

• Thanks 1

I tried both GIMP and Darktable and found they were usable but more effort than I was willing to invest. For the Mac, I've been using RAW Power by Gentlemen Coders to convert my B&W negatives. This was the same group that developed Apature until Apple cast aside. If I do  my part, it's quick and easy to convert a roll.