Cases by Luigi Bottom Plate

Snipe10

While I have not tried his M10 version, I do have both the bottom plate and one of his leather cases for the M240.

The bottom plate is very handy if you have instances where it's necessary to replace battery/memory card frequently.  The case with a flap on the bottom of course facilitates this.  On my case, which is rather old now, the flap tends to fall open occasionally.

Having said that, I find that frequent battery/memory card changes are something that I simply no longer have happen with a Leica.  I have other systems for that usage.

Edited by Good To Be Retired
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, TomB_tx said:

My M10 case is from a lower priced eBay manufacturer that also has the magnetic "flap" closing the battery/card compartment. The bottom plate is not used with such a case. No complaints with it.

Magnets in half cases or camera bags worry me. 

What effect do they have on the camera and lens over a period of time?

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Herr Barnack:

That‘s why it is highly advisable to combine said cases or bags with a Rolex Milgauss. 😉

I think most time this will not have any practical technical side effect, let alone on the camera, as most time the magnetical flux will be short-circuited with its magnetic counterpart.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

Especially on the glass and brass/aluminium of the lens! 🙀

• Thanks 1

Luigi has already shipped! I received the UPS notification this morning. Talk about fast service. Check out his site. Apparently he's been taking pictures since he was 7 years old. Fun photos and links. Never heard of him until two days ago, can't wait for the gear, thanks all.

1 hour ago, Snipe10 said:

Luigi has already shipped! I received the UPS notification this morning. Talk about fast service. Check out his site. Apparently he's been taking pictures since he was 7 years old. Fun photos and links. Never heard of him until two days ago, can't wait for the gear, thanks all.

I have dealt with him for several years and I usually receive my order within two to three days (Italy to UK). He is great to deal with and very helpful.

20 hours ago, jdlaing said:

You can’t be serious.

Well, I am. 

Magnets and cameras have never sounded like a good combination to me, even though the gents over at MagMod claim otherwise:

https://support.magnetmod.com/faqs/will-magnets-damage-my-camera-gear

Better safe than sorry, yes?

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Herr Barnack said:

Well, I am. 

Magnets and cameras have never sounded like a good combination to me, even though the gents over at MagMod claim otherwise:

https://support.magnetmod.com/faqs/will-magnets-damage-my-camera-gear

Better safe than sorry, yes?

Every Leica digital M body has a magnet in the baseplate. The half cases and replacement base plates just replace that magnet so the camera will function.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

Didn't know that.

In this case it’s the little silver disc.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

On 2/28/2021 at 5:04 PM, Snipe10 said:

Any photos of the case?

On 2/27/2021 at 8:04 PM, Herr Barnack said:

If you bolted a 5 pound magnet to the bottom of the camera like a motor drive and left it there a couple of years it might have some undesirable effect, other than making your new sore, but the tiny magnet used to tell the camera the baseplate is installed isn't going to do anything at all.

• Thanks 1