Just one lens

jimleicam3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Finally.. I have retired!!  I have a Q2, M10, 21 mm f/3.4, 35 mm f/2, my Dad's old 135 mm, f/4.5, 50 mm, f/1.4, all M's.  So I am thinking of the SL-2,  Had the SL while I was working, and found it only good on car vacations.  So I sold it for the Q2.  So I am now looking at the new SL-2, what SL lens would you buy if you could only buy one??  Never made a nickel with my photos, nor do I every plan to.  This is a total feel good purchase.  

• Like 1

Jimleicam3,   Interesting question for a "total feel good purchase".  You didn't mention your genre of photography, so you have many options.  But as you will find, many photographers will offer ideas and opinions.  My 2 cents would be simply the SL 24-90 and be done with it.  It covers many focal lengths and superbly renders at all of them.  Or...simply be happy and shoot your M10 with M lenses you own and enjoy your next chapter of life.   The money you save, would put you on a great "post career" vacation at some place you have always wanted to visit.  Needless to say, life is short and gets shorter each day.  Hope this helps.   r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 2

If you don’t like the SL, I’m not sure why you would like the SL2-S unless there’s something specific you want to do. Shooting style is very different the the M10 and the size is noticeable, even with an M lens mounted.

What was it that you didn’t like about the SL? What part of the SL2-S appeals to you that the M10 doesn’t satisfy?

Same situation for me, M gets used, the SL sits in  its case. There is an inexpensive 45mm L mount lens, Sigma or Panasonic, not sure.  Small, light and good, not a great optic, also the Panasonic 20-60mm is intriguing to me. Otherwise, use your M lenses with the adapter.  Congratulations on retiring. 

I would have thought that you have a good one lens solution with Q-2 already. 47 MPs on 28mm , cropped 35 mm, 50 mm modes make it very usable. I really don't see how the SL2-s 

can improve the situation especially  the SL2-s and Sl are so similar in weight and operating style .  Granted  the back buttons from SL2-S are similar to  Q2, and M10.

May be you already have  some lens ( sorry one only--per OP requirement )  in mind  which requires SL2-S ?  

• Like 1

As a retiree, I think you already have the best camera’s you could think of. I think you will get tired of SL2 it has the same size as SL. SL serie is a pretty big camera.  But not least the lenses are large and as someone else says, AF is not a leader in the camera world to put it nicely.  Enjoy the amazing camera you already have and go out and take pictures.

you say "had the SL while I was working, and found it only good on car vacations", .....so i guess the question is whether you plan on doing many car trips that might provide a suitable environment for enjoying the SL?

If not, i echo some of what's been discussed, ie, i found the SL2 and SL 50 Summicron a much bigger and heavier camera than the Ms. The Ms are truly portable and "throw in any bag", an utter pleasure to take anywhere, whereas the SL requires a lot more consideration ...and clearly the SL 601 and SL2 are basically the same in that sense.

Edited by Jon Warwick

11 hours ago, jimleicam3 said:

Finally.. I have retired!!  I have a Q2, M10, 21 mm f/3.4, 35 mm f/2, my Dad's old 135 mm, f/4.5, 50 mm, f/1.4, all M's.  So I am thinking of the SL-2,  Had the SL while I was working, and found it only good on car vacations.  So I sold it for the Q2.  So I am now looking at the new SL-2, what SL lens would you buy if you could only buy one??  Never made a nickel with my photos, nor do I every plan to.  This is a total feel good purchase.  

Hi Jim

Congratulation first on your retirement !

Rationally, I’m not sure whether there is a need for another camera given that you already have the Q2 and M10. But since when do we buy Leica gear rationally…

The SL2 is a superb camera. Like any tool, it is about using it for its strength and for what it does well. It is hard to provide any insights without knowing what kind of photography you enjoy doing.

Given that you cover already the 28mm, 35mm and 50mm with your Q2 and M10,  if you were to go with the SL2 (for feel good), then it could make sense to go with the 90mm-280mm. If you like the Q2 and its EVF, the SL2 would be familiar territory. If you are not into telephoto zoom lenses, then perhaps you may want to sell the Q2 (if you really want the SL2), and then go with the 24mm-90mm. With the M10 you will keep the flexibility and lightness when needed.

So your Q2 and M10 is already a good combo, or M10 and SL2 if you prefer. Adding the SL2 to both your Q2 and M10 would require a real need in term of specific lens / format in my view.

Whatever you do, trust your feel good vibe. You just retired, you deserve to celebrate a new charter. Enjoy your decision.

Edited by Hanno

Congratulations on retirement. 

I agree with the previous comments about deciding what you want to shoot. Your comment about the SL only being good for car vacations makes me think you found it too big and heavy for walking around with. Another consideration is the CL ( or CL2 which is rumored to be released soon). It is smaller and lighter for walking around, and has great lenses. It will give you the Leica colours, and will permit use of your M lenses. 

I have the SL and use it, but bought a Q2 for travel. I use them about equally when home.

Cheers

Maybe just a desire to celebrate retirement with a purchase.  Nothing wrong with that, but as others have remarked, if you didn’t like the SL, there’s probably no reason to like the SL2.

I would look at a Q2M to use alongside the Q2.  Yes, you can convert Q2 files to black and white, but it’s not the same as going out with the intention of taking a black and white photo.

If you really want the SL2 with one lens then a 75mm Summicron might be a good idea.  Works great as a combo with the 28mm Q2.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, hillavoider said:

SL2 is only a landscape camera

I use it just fine at weddings every week :)

Jim, congrats on retirement. I wouldn't view the SL2 as a 1 lens camera. For me personally, my most used lens is the 50 lux, but for other people it might be the 35 or 90. Really depends on what you shoot most.

• Like 1

Congrats on retirement!

Looking at your lens line-up. I think the sl75 or sl90 would be a perfect one lens solution to complement what you have. I'm still new to the 75 focal length but I've really liked it for taking candid portraits and street photography. It's a bit tight for food photography though, like when you're at a restaurant trying to take a picture of food in front of you lol but that's not a big deal.

On 2/26/2021 at 6:58 PM, jimleicam3 said:

Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 could have been my only lens -- it is my workhorse!  Incredible rendering and detail!

I spent a month in Italy with my Q1 and loved every moment.  Used my legs for zooming.  Also a lot of cropping I post.

Edited by SonomaBear
additional comment

vor 46 Minuten schrieb hillavoider:

Moving objects? 

no problem...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2