Voigtländer 75mm f/1.8 Heliar Classic

erniethemilk

17 minutes ago, erniethemilk said:

Thoughts and experiences with this lens?

I've borrowed one from a friend for a couple of days and I am quite impressed with it on my M10-P.

Wondering if anyone has used one over a period of time and their thoughts.

I have used one, not for that long

A very impressive 75mm at any price, and now usually a particulaly good one

• Like 1

Hi, I have it. On the M9 :

Beautiful bokeh :

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Lovely bouquet :

• Like 1

Hi, Heliar 1,8/75. Looking out of my window (f 8):

My model at f 1,8 :

It is a good lens. But I only have one other 75mm lens, the Summarit 2,5/75 ... ---

• Like 2

1 hour ago, colonel said:

how would you compare them ?

thats basically my choice

Hi, a few for you (on the M9) :

f 2,5: 

• Like 1

Hi, a few more Leica M9 - Summarit 2,5/75 :

f 8:

Bouquet at f 2,5:

My pics gave you an impression what the Summarit does (in the hands of a hobbyist).

Which one should you buy?

Both are good lenses, they  would have said at Delphi ...

"And what about you?"

The Summarit I took with me on holiday, the Heliar had to stay at home ... ---

Edited by crony
clarification
  • Like 2

The C/V 75 Heliar f/1.8 is essentially a revival of the 1930s Leitz 73mm f/1.9 Hektor design, but with a significant amount of modernization.

In particular, multi-coating. Which, along with being factory-fresh instead of 80-90 years old, adds a lot of contrast and "clarity".

In fact, a LOT of contrast, especially since the design uses only 4 internal air-glass surfaces (less flare potential). Punchy, well-separated mid-tones.

In addition, it is in fact also about a 73mm lens (slightly wider field of view than Leica's modern 75s).

Here are the relevant optical layouts:

The significant optical characteristic of the 75 Heliar is rather strong curvature of field (it front-focuses more and more the closer one gets to the corners).

On the plus side, this puts backgrounds in the corners slightly more "out of focus" than a flat-field lens, at wide apertures, contributing to the amount, as well as the beauty, of the blur. While sharp in the center.

On the minus side, it requires significant stopping down to f/8-11 if one wants good resolution across the whole image. Or - a careful choice of subject arrangement such that things in the corners/edges are closer to the camera than what is in the center.

In the picture below (M10, f/1.8), the center focus is precisely on the eyelashes, but shifts towards the shoulder strap and the nearest tips of the pigtails, moving out towards the edge.

Nice color - a tiny bit "redder" than most Leica lenses. Handles both saturated and delicate colors nicely.

I used one for a couple of years 2018-2019 and found it worked well generally, and was a "comfortable" lens to use. Once I got used to its characteristics.

For me the biggest drawback was the conservative close-focus limit - among other things, I use a 75mm in the studio for table-top food/product illustrations. Thus I now use the Voigtlander 75mm Nokton f/1.5 (also about a 73mm lens) that focuses to 0.7m. But the f/1.8 gave me confidence in Cosina's ability to handle a fast "75." ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I had a very good copy of the Hektor 7.3cm for quite a while. The absence of modern multicoating meant there was "Leica glow" in spades, which I guess is probably substantially reduced in the Heliar. It also had lots of swirly bokeh which you could easily induce from (e.g.) out of focus cherry blossom - I would expect the Heliar to still have this character. I saw it as a slightly less inebriated version of the Thambar, so if you are comparing a Summarit and the Heliar, then you have a simple choice: Summarit for modern, sharp, Heliar for character, atmosphere. I had my Apo-Summicron-M 75 for when I wanted modern and sharp. In the end I ventured even further into the surreal with the (modern) Thambar - which I still have as my sole remaining M lens.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

if you are comparing a Summarit and the Heliar, then you have a simple choice: Summarit for modern, sharp, Heliar for character, atmosphere.

You saved me having to say the same thing. ;)

Although I don't notice a lot of swirliness with the Heliar - that may be something else C/V tweaked (less coma/astigmatism?). In the shot below, some "glow," as in the OOF hair locks and hat flowers. NB: in this shot the background blue painting was "swirly" anyway, and the hand is in motion.

I rather see the Voigtlander 75s as interesting compilations of the "Greatest Hits - and misses" from the various Leitz/Leica 75s - a little glow from the Summilux, a little resolution and contrast (in places) from the APO/Summarits (haven't seen, let alone tried, the 75 Nocti).

And if one is thinking "Summarit" then there is the original and tiny  C/V screw-mount 75 f/2.5 (easily adaptable to M). A competent, neutral lens - neither dramatically "modern" nor "atmospheric." Rather like a 90 Tele-Elmarit-M, minus the flare. ;) But also limited to 1m.

75 Heliar f/1.8 - in low light (ISO 10000)

• Like 6

M262, CV 75mm Heliar

• Like 2