28 Summicron ASPH v2: is this slight noise normal?

mjhoy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I just got a used 28mm Summicron ASPH v2. It's in beautiful condition, except I'm wondering about one minor detail. If I hold the front of the lens, in front of the aperture dial, I can produce a knocking sound by gripping hard and rotating. I don't think I would have noticed this except when screwing on & off the hood. Any actual movement of parts of the lens is imperceptible to me -- it's really just the sound -- which is annoying enough that I was inspired to take this video and post here :)

I noticed that both my 50mm lux asph and my 35mm cron asph v1 do the same thing — except that the sound is much quieter, almost impossible to notice.

Just curious if anyone else's lens does this, and if it's anything to be concerned about (I'm assuming a CLA would tighten up whatever is slightly loose).

Below is a video of the issue. Thanks! Mikey

I wouldn't worry if I were you. There may be some minuscule play in the rectilinear guide mechanism of the lens, and the noise may in fact be amplified by the camera body resting on a table. No actual movement is perceptible in the video, and that is what matters.

Cheers, Andy

Edited by wizard

Hi Mikey,

I would suggest that if its purchased through a dealer. have them send it to Leica for a fix on their dime.

You may be without your lens for a month or so but its not like we have anywhere to go these days...

Update: I happened to be in at the Leica store Boston and asked about it. They did recommend it probably wasn't worth sending in to Leica at the moment, as the wait time was quite long (12+ weeks). As an alternative they recommended I call up Youxin of YYe camera.

I did, and today drove out to Canton MA (just 30 minutes away for me). Youxin sat me down at his table (full of lenses and M3s), he thought that possibly the amount of play was within the manufacturing tolerances and there was nothing he could do, but then he popped off the back and was able to tighten something internal (I sadly don't know all the names of the parts here). In ten minutes or so, it's perfectly tight with no play.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, mjhoy said:

Update: I happened to be in at the Leica store Boston and asked about it. They did recommend it probably wasn't worth sending in to Leica at the moment, as the wait time was quite long (12+ weeks). As an alternative they recommended I call up Youxin of YYe camera.

I did, and today drove out to Canton MA (just 30 minutes away for me). Youxin sat me down at his table (full of lenses and M3s), he thought that possibly the amount of play was within the manufacturing tolerances and there was nothing he could do, but then he popped off the back and was able to tighten something internal (I sadly don't know all the names of the parts here). In ten minutes or so, it's perfectly tight with no play.

Could you please help us understand how do we fix this issue exactly?

8 hours ago, Erato said:

Could you please help us understand how do we fix this issue exactly?

Hi Erato,

I'm not quite sure what you mean. I guess my answer would be, 'send it in for repair'. I used YYe camera and he had it tightened in just a few minutes. I have no idea how to explain what he did, other than remove the rear part of the lens (the mount I guess) and tighten something behind it. Sorry I can't be more helpful! I don't know enough about how these lenses are built.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mjhoy said:

Hi Erato,

I'm not quite sure what you mean. I guess my answer would be, 'send it in for repair'. I used YYe camera and he had it tightened in just a few minutes. I have no idea how to explain what he did, other than remove the rear part of the lens (the mount I guess) and tighten something behind it. Sorry I can't be more helpful! I don't know enough about how these lenses are built.

Thank you so much for your advice.